Does anyone use splints to help with pain?

just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my thumbs &feet , had xrays going to physio in the next week , anyone use splints to help with the pain .

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,214

Hello @dhornby and welocme to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I hope that the x-rays show what is happening so you can get treatment. In the meantime I've put a link in below to some information on our website concerning splints.

I hope it helps and please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on,

Best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Loggiemod
    Loggiemod Member Posts: 237

Hi @dhornby I have OA in my thumbs and hands primarily. I did try splints but found after a while they became uncomfortable. I took to wearing compression gloves which helped me a lot.

Hope you find something that works for you.

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 697

Hi @dhornby

I had a trapeziectomy in 2020 and prior to that found splints essential equipment for my thumb before and until it had healed. I was a PA using a keyboard all day and it gave me the support I needed. If you can't get on with using them during the day, use one at night while you're in bed.

I now have a problem in my wrist and again I amusing a heavy weight splint to ease the pain - I have just had a new hip and the pressure of using crutches and walking sticks caused a separate issue.

If you run a search on trapeziectomy in the search bar you will find posts by me giving some exercises and suggestions for exercises and equipment. Trying these will help you.

Trish xx