Standing from sitting

Hi, I'm getting really desperate. I have moderate arthritis in both knees.Recently whenever I go to stand up from sitting down for a length of time. The pain in the back of my legs is excruciating and I have to stand still for a minute till I am able to walk, also as I go to straighten my left leg I have to wait while I feel a painful "click" at the back of my calf. I'm really sorry about the long rant but it really is affecting the quality of my life( I dread meetings etc. in work, and embarrassed to say I've had little accidents when trying to make the toilet).

Comments

• Woofy
    Woofy Member Posts: 354

Hi. Feel for you. I have RA and when it’s been at it’s worst, I’ve struggled with standing from a seated position.

I found using a cushion helped a lot. I believe you can get wedge type cushions that might help also. I have had to hold on to the arm of the sofa to haul myself up, and had to straighten my legs slowly as the pain was so intense.
    and don’t worry about leaking a little, it happens to me sometimes, when I can’t move quick enough. Key is to not drink less, but to drink a little more so the badder can empty fully when you go.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,772

Moderate means more than mild @jasonp

Have you thought about walking aids? Maybe something to just use even if only to get stood up? I would imagine a frame would work well, but my daughter, when she had cancer was given crutches by the physio which did help her get up too.

In your shoes I'd self refer to the physio and get some advice. Safety first😊

Good luck

Toni x