Sock are uncomfortable

Hi there,

Does anyone find wearing socks really uncomfortable? Since being diagnosed with osteoarthritis I have had to resort to wearing sensible foot wear around the house. But recently I've developed a corn so now I have to wear socks which has somewhat alleviated the corn but wearing socks makes my feet feel hot, not so supported in the shoe etc. I would like to know how other people feel about wearing socks and what you can recommend if you have found ways to get used to them such as what type to wear or perhaps exercise can help etc please?

Tagged:

Comments

• violet46
    violet46 Member Posts: 26

Hi froggie,was wondering if you have tried corn caps? my husband uses them when he gets corns.

• annabanana
    annabanana Moderator Posts: 44

hi @froggie , thank you for posting to the online community! I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing these issues. Have you tried wearing socks specifically designed to alleviate the discomfort caused by corns? I had a quick look online and there's a few recommendations out there but obviously everyone is different and what works for one person may not work for another person.

Another thing I have seen quite a few people recommending is putting talcum powder in your socks, not sure if this would provide any relief? Hoping you find something that helps you 😁.

• froggie
    froggie Member Posts: 6

Hi Annabanna,

Thank you for replying to my post. I have not tried anything other than wearing trainers with orthotics. I do wear socks in my shoes outside though as that seems to be alright at the moment. I just generally find the socks are not supportive as they make my feet feel unsupportive as they feel as if they are slipping around in my shoes.

• froggie
    froggie Member Posts: 6

Hi

Thank you for replying to my post. I have not tried anything otherthan wearing trainers with orthotics. I do wear socks in my shoesoutside though as that seems to be alright at the moment. I justgenerally find the socks are not supportive as they make my feet feelunsupportive in the trainers as they feel as if they are slippingaround in them. I have not tried the corn pads as a chiropodist saidthey don't cure the problem as the issue lies with the way you walk.But thank you I may well consider the corn pads though.

• Has anyone found any comfy socks, I've tried bamboo socks but still make feet hot and burning

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 385

Morning @Daydreamer123

My sister in law knitted me some seam less wool socks seems odd but they work for me as do not irritate my feet and keep mine cool and warm as and when required for some reason 🤷‍♂️

Best wishes @Naomi33

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Bryony
    Bryony Member Posts: 14

Maybe check out socks for diabetics.

I have permanent pins and needles in my feet, so my feet are always uncomfortable. Although I don't have diabetes I've found the loose cuff diabetic socks 80% cotton (from Facool) very comfortable, and they grip the feet but do not dig in. They aren't ribbed or textured, and I think that also helps. They also work with wellington boots for me, don't move around like I've found with other socks in wellingtons.

I've just noticed that they also do 40% merino wool diabetic socks, and no comments about them wearing out quickly, so will probably try them for spring / autumn.

In the winter I wear some 60% wool 10% silk blend socks from Socksnob, as I'm prone to chilblains. They are thick and very warm, and I find them more comfortable than other wool socks I've had from elsewhere. Again the cuffs are not too tight and they are not textured or ribbed. I did try some of the thin fine wool rich socks a number of years ago from 2 different well known stores, and they were comfortable but they wore out really quickly after just a few wearings into holes.

• cocoa
    cocoa Member Posts: 5

cocoa

I cannot even get sox on without help on my right foot so used to wearing tights I just hate not wearing them