Another MTX Question

Shell
Shell Member Posts: 45
edited 7. Apr 2009, 16:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all
Does anybody else who akes MTX notice that if they cut themselves it takes longer to heal.
My ankle has been swollen for a few weeks and because of this my shoes have rubbed the back of my ankle and caused a blister. Now i cant wear shoes it is so sore and red been applying savlon but it isnt helping and was thinking maybe Mtx is causing me to have bad healing skin?
Michelle

Comments

  • purplecats
    purplecats Member Posts: 15
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    thedog wrote:
    Hi all
    Does anybody else who akes MTX notice that if they cut themselves it takes longer to heal.
    My ankle has been swollen for a few weeks and because of this my shoes have rubbed the back of my ankle and caused a blister. Now i cant wear shoes it is so sore and red been applying savlon but it isnt helping and was thinking maybe Mtx is causing me to have bad healing skin?
    Michelle

    Yeah i noticed that wounds took longer to heal. Just keep an eye on it and watch out for infection. :)

    Emma
  • Shell
    Shell Member Posts: 45
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I went to the Docters today with my ankle because i was awake all night in pain with it. They have given me antibiotics for it as they said it is quite infected. She also told me that i wil suffer more with injuries and cuts etc healing due to the MTX and my immune system so there was my answer :( so warning to you all if you are worried go to docs because we are prone to infections with MTX .
    SHell
  • Shell
    Shell Member Posts: 45
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    i am begining to realise that i also got the speech about looking after myself and that if i had rested my ankles when they were swollen i wouldnt have got a blister and infection an how i should be more careful and listen to my body.
    Its easier said then done am not a person that takes time off work or can sit around but i do know i am going to have to start listening to my body more.
    Shell
  • ifeelninety
    ifeelninety Member Posts: 57
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I have had a runny nose for 4 weeks now, then last week took an ear infection with it - In the past in my preMTX days it would have lasted a week max. I have had my blood tests twice in Casualty because of it and the CRP has went from under 3 to over 200.
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome to the Club!! it's not one Iwould choose to be a memeber of, but if the MTX is working (which mine does most of the time - just not right now!) it is worth the odd infection now and then.

    I do worry though when my hubby gets something, as I know that I will get it twice as bad. It also makes my joints worse if I have a cold or antyhing, as my system is overloaded trying to cope.

    sorry about typing - right arm is not working and one-hnded typing is the pits!!
  • Shell
    Shell Member Posts: 45
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I agree i work with children and worry every cough and sniffle they have because i always get it 10x worse and as you say a cold can lay me out for days and my joints hurt so much dealing with the cold and arthur at the same time.
    My ankle is still very sore today but i dont know if it is all the rain we have been having but my other ankle is really painful today and feel mor epains else where prob as i said all the wet weather we have been having.
    Shell
  • queenfan
    queenfan Member Posts: 563
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    thedog wrote:
    I agree i work with children and worry every cough and sniffle they have because i always get it 10x worse and as you say a cold can lay me out for days and my joints hurt so much dealing with the cold and arthur at the same time.
    My ankle is still very sore today but i dont know if it is all the rain we have been having but my other ankle is really painful today and feel mor epains else where prob as i said all the wet weather we have been having.
    Shell


    Hi shell I totally agree with you I work with children & when they come down with anything you can bet I will get it we have a few children away with bad colds plus other things,
    and I have come home to day feeling really rough especially my throat & ears
    the things we have to do hey I must admit though they keep me going don't know what I'd do with out them at times
    take care sue x
  • Shell
    Shell Member Posts: 45
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sue
    Your right there hard work at times but very rewarding. Really busy at the moment getting them all ready for transition to primary school. But i have threatened to turn up for work wearing a mask :P and i am always opening the windows ( convincing myself the bugs wil go outdoors).
    As if we dont have enough to worry about.
    Shell
  • ifeelninety
    ifeelninety Member Posts: 57
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    This thread got me thinking - I said before about having a cold for ehat sems like ever before, but I also skinned my heel with a new pair of shoes ( sketchers and the others were soooo comfy too that I went out and bought them in 3 different colours!!( in the sale...)), but the skint bit is still there -although it did eventually heal up, but that is nearly 2 months!! Mut be the MTX too but never gave it much thought before.

    I too panic when my hubby and 2 sons get anything or if anything is doing the rounds ( scarletina was doing the rounds in the school a few weeks ago), I feel as if I have became a big worrywart!!
  • rachael86
    rachael86 Member Posts: 7
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    it could be due to a low white cell count (they help healing) which can be a side effect of taking mtx. if you get your bloods taken regularly the doctor should pick up on it. ask them the next time you see them.
    and also mtx suppresses the immune system also slowing down healing.
  • Shell
    Shell Member Posts: 45
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I do have regular blood test but will mention the white cell count nxt time i go. I cannot stil wear my shoes the infection is clearing up with the antibiotics but it is stil too painful to put my shoes on with it being on my ankle at the back (praying we dont have rain) i have to wear flip flops :lol: .
  • Shell
    Shell Member Posts: 45
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    thedog wrote:
    Hi all
    Does anybody else who akes MTX notice that if they cut themselves it takes longer to heal.
    My ankle has been swollen for a few weeks and because of this my shoes have rubbed the back of my ankle and caused a blister. Now i cant wear shoes it is so sore and red been applying savlon but it isnt helping and was thinking maybe Mtx is causing me to have bad healing skin?
    Michelle
    Hi Just an update.I take my last anitibiotic tonight for my ankle and i stil cannot wear my shoes and it is stil very painful so dont know what to do next. What else can the docter give me if the antibiotics dont work?
    Shell
  • ifeelninety
    ifeelninety Member Posts: 57
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Just an update.I take my last anitibiotic tonight for my ankle and i stil cannot wear my shoes and it is stil very painful so dont know what to do next. What else can the docter give me if the antibiotics dont work?
    Shell[/quote]

    I got antibiotics for my ear infection ( was in my nose for 4 weeks then went to the ears - ended up with a perforated ear drum - not pleasant!) I was on holiday at the time but didnt feel much improvement with them. When I read up on them there are only certain ones that should be used with MTX and the ones I was given fight against the MTX. Went back to my ow GP and have been given another course of ones that dont fight the MTX this time - so maybe worth checking if the ones you took were compatible or not.
  • annic4363
    annic4363 Member Posts: 67
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    thedog wrote:
    thedog wrote:
    Hi all
    Does anybody else who akes MTX notice that if they cut themselves it takes longer to heal.
    My ankle has been swollen for a few weeks and because of this my shoes have rubbed the back of my ankle and caused a blister. Now i cant wear shoes it is so sore and red been applying savlon but it isnt helping and was thinking maybe Mtx is causing me to have bad healing skin?
    Michelle
    Hi Just an update.I take my last anitibiotic tonight for my ankle and i stil cannot wear my shoes and it is stil very painful so dont know what to do next. What else can the docter give me if the antibiotics dont work?
    Shell

    Hi there

    I had the self same problem earlier in the summer. New trainers - no socks = HUGE blister!

    I also ended up at the docs and did have to have huge 7 day dose of antibiotic which did help but it still took weeks and weeks to heal. I found that ' New skin' from the pharmacy helped but I had to apply it loads as the cut kept splitting.

    I also discussed this with my consultant who told me that it wasn't the MX which I am off at the minute anyway. Rather it is a factor of our compromised immune systems which mean we take much longer to heal.

    I have a lovely collection of backless shoes now! Hey Ho! What next I wonder????

    I hope it clears up soon!

    Annie

    xxx
  • Shell
    Shell Member Posts: 45
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thanks all for replies.
    Been back to the docs as my ankle is very painful and stil cannot wear shoes so she has given me a different antibiotic so we wil see if this works going on holiday in 2 wks so really want it sorting before i go.
    Can i just ask what is "new skin" that somebody mentioned might try it see if it helps
    Shell
  • queenfan
    queenfan Member Posts: 563
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    thedog wrote:
    Thanks all for replies.
    Been back to the docs as my ankle is very painful and stil cannot wear shoes so she has given me a different antibiotic so we wil see if this works going on holiday in 2 wks so really want it sorting before i go.
    Can i just ask what is "new skin" that somebody mentioned might try it see if it helps
    Shell

    Hi Shell if its the same thing that I've heard of my mom always-ed used it because she was a diabetic when ever she had a cut she would put this on she swore by it it comes in a little bottle (like nail varnish bottle) you just brush it over the cut to form a skin
    (new skin) by the way it does sting when you put it on if I remember
    hope this helps
    take care sue x
  • kate21
    kate21 Member Posts: 24
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi, sorry I know this topic has been quiet for a while but am very thankful that I found it. Have just started taking MTX, only on my 3rd or 4th does of 15mg. I grazed my hand ever so slightly a couple of weeks age, so slight that I didn't even notice it happen. It scabbed over normally (like you'd expect) but now the two little scratches look like scars from a burn or something, which is very unusual for me anyway. It doesn't look infected and it was such a small scratch really. I was wondering whether it could be the MTX or at least RA related. Not enough to go to the doctors about, but maybe metion it to the Rheumy nurse next time I go, as you say. Thanks for the help!
    x Kate
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Wonkylegs wrote:
    Welcome to the Club!! it's not one Iwould choose to be a memeber of, but if the MTX is working (which mine does most of the time - just not right now!) it is worth the odd infection now and then.

    I do worry though when my hubby gets something, as I know that I will get it twice as bad. It also makes my joints worse if I have a cold or antyhing, as my system is overloaded trying to cope.

    sorry about typing - right arm is not working and one-hnded typing is the pits!!

    Hi Wonky
    I've noticed that too. If i get a cold or virus my joints really flare up. Had a bug recently an it really wiped me out and i had to take to my bed. Not something i do lightly.
    f055.gif
    Hope your arm feels better soon

    Take care of yourself
    love Gillx

Who's Online

5
Beanie
Beanie
+4 Guests