total knee relacment

annebrown
annebrown Member Posts: 4
edited 19. Aug 2011, 16:00 in Young people's community
Is there anyone young out there who has had this op? I am wondering how long they last. I've heard 5 years which doesn't seem long, but is this accurate? Anne Brown

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    annebrown wrote:
    Is there anyone young out there who has had this op? I am wondering how long they last. I've heard 5 years which doesn't seem long, but is this accurate? Anne Brown

Hi Anne :D

I am an oldie :lol::lol: but I am told they last 10 - 15 years and could be at least 20 years, which is better than you thought isn't it?

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • claregood1
    claregood1 Member Posts: 15
    I'm just in the process of trying to get one done. I'm having to persuade the doctors as I'm 38 and considered too young, as they then don't last long. However I understand they last 10-15 years like Elna says which is good enough for me. It depends how active you are on them and obviously the younger you are the more active your likely to be. If it's what you need then keep pushing.
    Good luck
  • neilaw
    neilaw Member Posts: 2
    annebrown wrote:

hi Anne,ive had both knees replaced approx 2 half yrs ago,my surgeon told me to expect 12-15 yrs life out of them,poss longer.They have been really good and im actually doing things that i never thought id be doing again.I owe the NHS so much,they`re a god senh Neil
  • glitterbug
    glitterbug Member Posts: 20
    Hi guys!

I'm due in for a TNR on thursday and was looking to see if any other youngsters had been through it. I'm 30 and have a fab hip replacement that has so far lasted almost 14yrs (they said only 10!!!)

I'm so nervous about the op, but have been seriously trying to get the leg muscles strengthened in prep!

Jo xx
  • sunshine75
    sunshine75 Member Posts: 14
    Hi

I had both knees replaced when I was 25 which was 11 years ago - they were the best thing I ever did, have been pain free ever since and still going strong. I was told 15-20 years life span if you treat them well!

take care x