Surgery on the foot

ianmurray
ianmurray Member Posts: 2
edited 9. Dec 2008, 17:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I'm sort of new to this forum (inactive for a long time)

I recently had a Rheumy appointment (usual check up - I' ve been on Enbrel for some 4+yrs).

I've recently had a few problems with my feet which seem mechanical rather than arthritic (no indication of present inflamation). On a referal to the Orthopaedic clinic they have found that the RA has in the past caused the dislocation of five toes (four on one foot - one on the other along with degeneration of the joint) and have suggested surgery to help with the 'walking on stones' feeling I have if I don't us orthotics.

I believe the proceedure that they are thinking of is either the Weil Osteotomy or the Stainsbys procedure.

Anyone on here have any experience of any of these operations?

Was it worth it?

Kind regards,

Ian

Comments

• paulab
    paulab Member Posts: 2
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    ianmurray wrote:
    Hi, I'm sort of new to this forum (inactive for a long time)

I recently had a Rheumy appointment (usual check up - I' ve been on Enbrel for some 4+yrs).

I've recently had a few problems with my feet which seem mechanical rather than arthritic (no indication of present inflamation). On a referal to the Orthopaedic clinic they have found that the RA has in the past caused the dislocation of five toes (four on one foot - one on the other along with degeneration of the joint) and have suggested surgery to help with the 'walking on stones' feeling I have if I don't us orthotics.

I believe the proceedure that they are thinking of is either the Weil Osteotomy or the Stainsbys procedure.

Anyone on here have any experience of any of these operations?

Was it worth it?

Kind regards,

Ian

Hi Ian

I noticed your post and wondered if you had got any further info. I asked to be referred for surgery because I have similar problems with my feet. The consultant recommended both procedures you mentioned and said that the 'weils' one would be better at my age (37) because if it didn't work in 10 + years they could something further. The stainsby procedure is more permanent. I have asked for surgery and think I will be accepted but am still doing my research!

Paulab