Anemia anyone got any advice?

Options
purvesrosie
purvesrosie Member Posts: 59
edited 14. Nov 2008, 06:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,
My doctor phoned today to discuss blood test results my HB is at 9.5 she said thats anemic and i need to ring rhuemy nurse in the morning. Is it bad? she didn't explain anything as she was obviously in a rush. I'll have to ask rhuemy nurse tom. Just keep thinking about it. I have been getting awful headaches and feeling even more tired than usual. Don't think i have any other symptoms. lets face it with RA you have plenty it's hard to tell what causes what.
Thanks in advance
Rosie
x

Comments

• debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi all,
    My doctor phoned today to discuss blood test results my HB is at 9.5 she said thats anemic and i need to ring rhuemy nurse in the morning. Is it bad? she didn't explain anything as she was obviously in a rush. I'll have to ask rhuemy nurse tom. Just keep thinking about it. I have been getting awful headaches and feeling even more tired than usual. Don't think i have any other symptoms. lets face it with RA you have plenty it's hard to tell what causes what.
    Thanks in advance
    Rosie
    x

Hi purvesrosie

Sorry to hear that you didnt get more time or better care from your doctor, its not nice to be left worrying. Im not sure if your level is normal or not, I am guessing not for him to ring you. When I have been anaemic in past have been told to take guiness. It is supposed to be the best thing. I dont know about that but I do know that after one you dont care!!!! :oops: :D Hope you get better care from your rheumy nurse :)
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Options
    Hi purvesrosie,
    I hope I'm right with this? When I was pregnant, the drs were always checking my Hb levels and I think anything under 10 means you are anaemic. It will make you tired ( if arthur doesn't already!) but you can get meds to boost your iron. I don't know about headaches though, sorry :? Hope this helps,
    Magenta x
  • melbland
    melbland Member Posts: 36
    Options
    Hiya, I am anaemic.

The "normal" level demands on which GP practice you are at, I think. Our "Normal" is between 10 and 11. I was the same as you, 9.6 and am now on iron tablets. They do assist with the tiredness and my headaches have decreased - they are not as often as they were.

Hope this helps a lickle!

Mel x
  • jimmy77
    jimmy77 Member Posts: 71
    Options
    Hi all,
    Thanks in advance
    Rosie
    x

Hi Rosie,

I have been slightly anemic for years and Dr's. say it's very common for people with RA. Also they have stated that iron pills etc. are not going to do the trick, so anyway, it appears this is just part of the deal, if that helps any.
    For fighting fatigue I find exercise very helpful and it increases my energy levels.

Good luck.
    Jimmy

Jimmy
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    From what I understood an adult woman should be around 12 (don't quote me on this) but this could also depend on the age of the adult woman, don't know about men. :?

If you need to boost you Hb eating red meats, dark green vegetables and fruits as part of your diet will help but I'm sure your rheumy nurse will advise you tomorrow.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • starbuck
    starbuck Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi Rosie,
    from my own experience any thing below 10 is classed as anemia for healthy result I was told to get it somwhere between 10 and 14, all dependent on age and being male & female. I think different practices have slightly different guidelines.

Fatique is horrible and quite normal with RA, so dont worry , it can changed with iron tablets and diet. And once your advised what to do youll probably feel a whole lot better once its on the up.

For me, i used Iron tablets, diet and exercise, ( although trickey)!... diet , recomend red meat , ( not too much,) but plenty of greens. Fibre also has iron in it. I used to take my iron tablet with orange juice with an evening meal... apparently vit C helps absorb the iron better.

Sarah x
  • purbeckgirl
    purbeckgirl Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi Rosie,

I too am anaemic - and have been for most of my adult life. It's really common, especially in women as they loose blood every month, and can be easily cured by taking iron tablets, which bring it up very quickly. According to my last blood test, the ideal level of HB is 11.5-16.6

It's not a huge worry until it's really, really low. Low iron means that your blood cannot carry as much oxygen to supply your body and if it got excessively low, your heart would have to work harder and it could do it damage. But this would be under 8 or even 7 and you would feel absolutely grim.
    I have been 9-9.5 a number of times and a few tablets and I am fine.

Your doctor will also be looking at your serrum ferritin level, which indicates your long term stores, and ideally this should be between 12 and 204 (mine as always around 6!)

Hope this helps.

Debbie