Questions Questions Questions!!!!

Options
parky2
parky2 Member Posts: 52
edited 16. Nov 2008, 05:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone

Am very new to all this and although I go to see Rheumatologist next tuesday I have so many questions and was wondering if anyone could share their experiences.

Quick background..............have been in pain in my hands and feet for approx 6 months, kept explaining it away until eventually I went to my gp. He ran lots of tests and came back with the connclusion that he is 99% sure I have rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatologist received referral and after seeing test results made an appointment to see me for 2 weeks time.

Since then I have been signed off work as my hands are incredibly painful and swollen. My main fear (and this will sound really stupid) is that two of my fingers have gone a really wonky shape, will they stay like this? Is there anything that can be done to 'fix them' or to stop them getting worse? Or the rest of them going like this? It has happened to my toes aswell but this doesnt bother me so much as no one can see them, I do tend to get a bit embarassed by them, probably not noticeable to anyone else but to me they are!

Any advice or experiences would be very much appreciated!

L xoxoxo

Comments

• tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,
    I was diagnosed with RA 24years ago two months after my second son.
    I have severe RA in my hands with every single joint deformed except one thumb.
    I was supposed to get a hand check up every year from Salisbury Hospital but they never called me back and believe me if I had know then what I know now I would have been on the phone hassling them!
    Don't let them fob you off and ask questions. If your actual bones are causing the misshaping then it is unlikely they will recover but if it's just because they are swollen they could. Hot wax baths are good and ask the hospital to make you resting splints.
    I did have my knuckle joints replaced on my left hand about 6 years ago and apart from being the most painful operation I have ever had (and I have had lots) it was a waste of time they look better but don't work like the surgeon said they would!
    Hopefully hen the swelling go down your fingers will go back to normal. Presumably they will put you on medication to help this.
    Good luck.
    Tiggernut.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,454
    Options
    Hi Parky
    Sounds really nasty that and very painful. Others will come on and add to the good advice you've already been given, but I would just say write it all down all that's happened, when for how long what effect it had on you, etc. Don't forget things like tiredness .
    Then write a list of questions and also take a person with you who can help and remember what you don't!
    There are lots that can be done for those fingers including splints so try not to worry too much yet. Sorry - stupid thing to say!
    Take care
    Toni x
  • mmarshall
    mmarshall Member Posts: 69
    Options
    Hi
    Sorry to hear that you may have RA.
    I have RA and was only diagnosed last April.
    Like yourself I kept putting off going to my GP with the pains in my hands and feet until I had to go.
    I only had one wonky finger to start with but now I have two on my right hand although I get pain in both hands.
    The swelling comes and goes and sometimes you would hardly notice it.
    I hate when my feet swell at the toes as this is very uncomfortable.
    When you go to the hospital and they start you on treatment you will feel a lot better, but some of the drugs like methotrexate which I take can take months before you really see the benefit.
    Hopefully the doctor at the hospital will give you all the time you need to answer all your questions and it would be best to write things down as when you go it can be a bit much and you forget half of the things you were going to ask. Also it is good to take someone with you.
    This site is great and the people are really lovely and very helpful.
    Take it easy and look after yourself
    Mary
  • plmb48
    plmb48 Member Posts: 125
    Options
    hi parky2
    i hve had R/A for 28 years dont know if its of any help but when i was told i sat in library for hours reading all about it i felt forwarned was forarmed of course ther wasnt any forums like this everyone will keep you posative on here good luck :lol::lol::lol: pauline