Arthritis and Riding for the disabled

Options
weetabix
weetabix Member Posts: 43
edited 13. Nov 2008, 20:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
I wonderd if riding for the disabled would be allowed for someone with arthritis if the person were on DLA and SDA.

any info would be good

thanks

Comments

• salsal
    salsal Member Posts: 49
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    i was a volunteer for rda yes you can ride with them with out recieving benefits if your dr agrees that you have a disability but there is no reason you cant ride in a 'normal' class. im sure this wont apply to you but i gave up when some of my ladies thought it was a cheap way to get a ride and treated the volunteers like skivvys there would be me in 2 hand splints and a stick haveing hobbled round the arena holding their horses and they would stride away throwing me their reins!!
  • weetabix
    Options
    I am so sorry you were treated like this its sounds as if they didn.t need the RDA at all. how ungrateful..

I don't think you get what i mean i am in recept of DLA and SDA benefits, so that was why i was asking if anyone knew if it was against the law to join the RDA while getting these benefits.DLA being Mobility and care component and SDA being severe disabled allowance.i can do some things for myself. mostly coz i have to my husband is useless and uncaring. but there you go.i just need an outlet to get me out of the house and i have become to love horses so much as my grandaughter has a small pony and i take her to the stables a lot., i find myself spending a bit of time there watching her ride ect.but the pony is too small for me to ride on so thats why i thought of the RDA.assomeone at the at stables mentioned it to me.

sorry if i wasnt clear the first time. i think you did a great job heping especially with a disability like you have if you have to have a splints.

weetabix
  • salsal
    salsal Member Posts: 49
    Options
    sorry read it to quickly! you can still join! they werent all bad we had some lovely kids in the group it was just a few ladies dominating unfortunately so when the schools stopped the kids from coming i didnt enjoy going. i hope you enjoy yourself let me know how you get on
  • weetabix
    Options
    I am going to do some inquiring about it. there is a yard near us.I don't really know how to go about it but i am sure someone wil point me in the direction .
    thanks for the info..