Help

Options
frisbee
frisbee Member Posts: 3
edited 11. Nov 2008, 17:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
Help, I have just been diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis (not got Psoriasis yet). So far one toe on each foot swollen and possible knee. Only on diclofenac at moment, no pain now but toes have been swollen for 3 months. I've always been a great walker, in the past few years have done several long distance paths, and up to now regularly walk 12 miles.
I feel that with this diagnosis I have lost me, and am grieving for the person I was.
I'm scared by the information I've read in books and on the web about the resulting deformity of joints, especially fingers, and all the side effects of the drugs I will have to take.
I'm sure my reaction to the diagnosis is not uncommon. Would love to hear from someone who has been through it.
Frisbee

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Frisbee,

First of all hello and welcome to the site. :D

Don't panic :!: :shock: Arthritis comes in all forms and some people can have it mildly through to those who are severely affected. Don't think all you've read will apply to you. Modern medication will help you to avoid some of the great deformities that people had in the past. I've had this nasty disease for 22 years, since I was 27 and, yes, I have it severely but I don't consider myself an unlucky woman - it's just I've learnt to cope with life in a different way.

You're not alone we've all been there and you've not lost yourself, you're still you, it's just that you're worried about what you have to face but whatever happens we're here for you.

Any specific questions you have, just ask, you will find the support on here tremendous and you will get a good cross section of advise.

Try not to worry too much. :wink:
    Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • redpoppy
    redpoppy Member Posts: 108
    Options
    hi frisbee,i have PA too.im lucky at the moment as its mostly my hands are affected badly.sometimes my feet hurt and i get swollen toes.im a keen walker too or i am when i can.i think you have to listen to your body as to what you can do.it dosent mean you cant go walking again it just means maybe you will have to pace yourself a bit more.And to beware you might suffer a bit for the next few days after.i cant do as much as i used to do.but i think it does you the world of good to get out in the countryside in the fresh air,it does help me a lot as i suffer from depression too.im having a bad flare at the mo so im not doing a great deal.the tiredness does get to you though thats why i try and listen to my body.
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    frisbee wrote:
    I feel that with this diagnosis I have lost me, and am grieving for the person I was.
    I'm scared by the information I've read in books and on the web about the resulting deformity of joints, especially fingers, and all the side effects of the drugs I will have to take.
    I'm sure my reaction to the diagnosis is not uncommon. Would love to hear from someone who has been through it.
    Frisbee

Your reaction to your diagnosis is normal. :cry: Arthritis hits everyone differently and what you have looked at may never happen to you. Modern medicine has improved things for many people and enabled more to lead a better standard of life. Give it time to sink in and try to stay positive, it's not possible at this stage to say what is going to happen, only time will tell on that.

I think most of us have been where you are now and have come out the other side as better people. More aware of who we are and what inner strengths we have discovered on our journey. If we have lost, we have also gained. Some may moan and groan a bit, (some a lot :roll: ), about life, but we now have each other for help and support. Welcome!

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • poppy30
    poppy30 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    Just wanted to offer you my support and a hug!

Like the others have said, your response is natural but you're in the right place as the folks here are always on hand to listen and offer suggestions/help! :lol:

I was diagnosed with PA 3 years ago (toes, fingers, ankles, wrists, elbow, back... think that's it!!!) but had had symptoms long before then (also have psoriasis - like to think of it as a 2 for 1 package :x !!)

I was fortunate to find a combination of meds that not only meant that I was virtually pain free and moveable again, but also had very few side effects for me. Hopefully your rheumy will be as great as mine is! Although I have some swelling that comes and goes, none of my joints have become seriously deformed so I am very lucky. :)

I also enjoy walking and have had to make changes such as planning routes with more rest stops and learning to listen to my body when it says "no" but I have continued to pursue this hobby as the exercise is great and I actually find that my joints feel better if I keep them moving (not too vigorously though :lol: !!)

Really hope that you find the information and support you need and I would suggest that you remember to tell your rheumy/GP about the emotional effects you are experiencing as well as the physical pain as I have always found that it is a relief to have a good rant/cry at the professionals as they can often suggest sources of help or coping strategies.

Feel free to ask more Qs whenever you want! :D

Poppy x