ELBOW REPLACEMENT & THUMB JOINT FUSION

Options
methogirl
methogirl Member Posts: 25
edited 17. Nov 2008, 17:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi. I would like to hear from anyone who has had their elbow replaced and anyone who has had their thumb joint fused. I am 44 years old, with psoriatic athritis and I need these 2 operations. I feel quite young to have these as I feel that thumb fusion is the last resort and also I heard that elbows do not last long, maybe 10 years. Which means I would only be 54 when it packs up!

Any comments experience would be great to hear about
Thank you

:shock:

Comments

• luckybug
    luckybug Member Posts: 205
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Im 43 and have had my elbow replaced, but it has never given me any movement, I've had it about 10 years now, but as it's not moving much I don't think it will need replacing for another 10 years at least. I have noticed my thumb and hand have deteriorated since the op. Hope that helps.
  • methogirl
    Options
    luckybug wrote:
    Im 43 and have had my elbow replaced, but it has never given me any movement, I've had it about 10 years now, but as it's not moving much I don't think it will need replacing for another 10 years at least. I have noticed my thumb and hand have deteriorated since the op. Hope that helps.

Hi Ladybug,

Do you mean you cannot move elbow at all now? Is it worse than before the op?
    :roll:
  • luckybug
    luckybug Member Posts: 205
    Options
    I can move my elbow a tiny bit, but I fell and smashed my elbow so thats why I needed the elbow replacement, I have about an inch of movement in both elbows, I was considering having the other one done, but am scared incase I lose the bit I have?
  • plmb48
    plmb48 Member Posts: 125
    Options
    methogirl wrote:
    Hi. I would like to hear from anyone who has had their elbow replaced and anyone who has had their thumb joint fused. I am 44 years old, with psoriatic athritis and I need these 2 operations. I feel quite young to have these as I feel that thumb fusion is the last resort and also I heard that elbows do not last long, maybe 10 years. Which means I would only be 54 when it packs up!

Thank you

ih methogirl i have had both elbows replaced i have full bend in both sometimes ache but no more pain 10 years pain free has got to be good.i had my thumb fused mine didnt work that dosent mean yours wont .we have to ease our pain where we can .goodluck pauline :|:|:|
  • tiggernut
    tiggernut Member Posts: 339
    Options
    methogirl wrote:

Thank you

Hi Methogirl,
    I had my left elbow replaced about two years ago. I have very good bend but can't straighten it at all. From a pain point of view it's great.
    I do still have slight numbness on the inside of my hand and I have lost a bit og grip in my left hand which is bad because I have badly deformed hands and couldn't really afford to loose grip but it's one of those things.
    I am scared of having the right one done as I am right handed but eventually I'll have to.
    If you are in pain I would recomend it.
  • methogirl
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments and experiences.

Its is a hard decission to make. You all have given both positive & negative comments. I would like to hear from more people though. Especially the thumb fusion.

I wish you all well and painfree lives for the future. :P
  • bookworm
    bookworm Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I had this done earlier this year and for me its worked very well. Which joint are they fusing?
  • methogirl
    Options
    bookworm wrote:
    I had this done earlier this year and for me its worked very well. Which joint are they fusing?

Hi Bookworm

It is the carpometacarpal.
    I am right handed and it is my right thumb.
    How is movement for you and how restricted are you?
    Do you recommend it :?:

Thanks Jo
  • bookworm
    bookworm Member Posts: 2
    Options
    methogirl wrote:
    bookworm wrote:

Hi Bookworm

It is the carpometacarpal.
    I am right handed and it is my right thumb.
    How is movement for you and how restricted are you?
    Do you recommend it :?:

Thanks Jo

Hi Jo,

Ive just checked and I have had the joint above the one you're
    having done fused. I'm not sure how much movement you'll lose to be honest as it's a different joint, but if you were having the same joint as I've had done I would recommend it. I have had my left thumb done, they want to do the right one next year.

The surgery hasn't really restricted me, it's just relieved the pain in that joint.

bookworm