Hi I'm new!!

Options
lizzieuk1
lizzieuk1 Member Posts: 302
edited 14. Nov 2008, 14:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
HI Everyone,
i'm new to the forum but seemed like such a fab place that i had to join.
i've had ra for 3 years now and am well controlled with mtx, but i'm now 32 and we really want to start a family so thought i'd ask about other poeples experience of coming off the mtx and getting preg etc. i havenlt really had any bad flare ups since i went on the mtx and have luckily got most of my life back i can horse ride regularly and only really feel that fatigue is my worst sx at the moment. whats worrying me the most is that i have a manual therapy job and really need to keep working as i am self employed, so how did your sx change on coming off the mtx and did you do it gradually or just cold turkey? and when you got pregnant did the sx disappear??
any advice greatly received,

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Lizzie
    Welcome to the site!
    This IS a great place to be I agree!
    I have no experience of getting pregnant while having RA luckily mine are 13 13 and 10 now and happened way before this malarky.
    What I can say is look on this forum at the pregnancy thread and you'll get loads of advice and reassurance. What I do know is that usually rheumies are very supportive. I hope yours is a good one!
    Very best of luck
    Toni x
  • eugeneg
    eugeneg Member Posts: 36
    Options
    lizzieuk1 wrote:
    HI Everyone,
    i'm new to the forum but seemed like such a fab place that i had to join.
    i've had ra for 3 years now and am well controlled with mtx, but i'm now 32 and we really want to start a family so thought i'd ask about other poeples experience of coming off the mtx and getting preg etc. i havenlt really had any bad flare ups since i went on the mtx and have luckily got most of my life back i can horse ride regularly and only really feel that fatigue is my worst sx at the moment. whats worrying me the most is that i have a manual therapy job and really need to keep working as i am self employed, so how did your sx change on coming off the mtx and did you do it gradually or just cold turkey? and when you got pregnant did the sx disappear??
    any advice greatly received,

Hi Lizzie,

Welcome to the site. I thought I would just quickly give the bloke's perspective here. Back in late 02/early 03 when I was awaiting diagnosis my wife fell pregnant (with our daughter) just before I was given the news and started on MXT. Thereafter MXT & Sulpa came and went and it was whilst off Supha and waiting on the next step my Rheumy encouraged us to try for a second child before I started a new drug. Luckily for us my wife fell pregnant again (with our Son) just before I commenced Enbrel! We were blessed with our timing! My Rheumy and his team were very supportive.

I hope it all goes to plan for you.

Eugene.
  • poppy30
    poppy30 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    Just wanted to share my experience.
    I came off my meds (Humira and Mtx) 7 weeks ago in order to start a family. I've been on this combination for the past 2 years and had really fantastic results - almost pain free and much more active! :D Unfortunately pain, swelling and my psoriasis (I have PA and psoriasis) all made a return within a couple of weeks. :x Have a number of painful joints and am relying on ibuprofen, heat packs and chocolate at the moment! My rheumy has been great and left my appt open so I can access his help when I need to and we have talked about using steroids if the arthur gets worse. Had a tough day last week and felt really emotional as I couldn't bear the thought of waiting 6 mths before trying :cry: ... I miss my meds! However, a friend is pregnant and showed me her scan pictures the other day and it made me realise that it will be soooo worth it! :D

Good luck and feel free to message me if you want to chat further.

Poppy x
  • lizzieuk1
    lizzieuk1 Member Posts: 302
    Options
    poppy30 wrote:
    Just wanted to share my experience.
    I came off my meds (Humira and Mtx) 7 weeks ago in order to start a family. I've been on this combination for the past 2 years and had really fantastic results - almost pain free and much more active! :D Unfortunately pain, swelling and my psoriasis (I have PA and psoriasis) all made a return within a couple of weeks. :x Have a number of painful joints and am relying on ibuprofen, heat packs and chocolate at the moment! My rheumy has been great and left my appt open so I can access his help when I need to and we have talked about using steroids if the arthur gets worse. Had a tough day last week and felt really emotional as I couldn't bear the thought of waiting 6 mths before trying :cry: ... I miss my meds! However, a friend is pregnant and showed me her scan pictures the other day and it made me realise that it will be soooo worth it! :D
    Good luck and feel free to message me if you want to chat further.
    Poppy x

thanks poppy, i think we'll wait a while yet as i need to sort my clinic out first then i guess we'll have to see how things go. interesting how the advice differs for ttc as my rheumy said 3 months before trying after coming off mtx?!everyone seems to be having babies that i know but guess i'll just have to be patient :(
  • poppy30
    poppy30 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    My rheumy said that we could start ttc after 3-4 months but we've decided to give it 6mths to be totally sure the Mtx has left my body... just to be on the safe side!!

P x