Fibromyalgia Advice

Options
piratequeen
piratequeen Member Posts: 13
edited 15. Nov 2008, 08:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hey!
Was wondering if anyone could help me, I have RA but recently got diagnosed with Fibromyalgia aswell. They reckon I've had it for a few years but it managed to sneak in under the cover of my arthritis (clever things, these chronic illnesses) I was prescribed Amitriptyline which literally turned me into a zombie. I couldnt function properly, I was stumbling, couldn't concentrate and spent a lot of time staring blankly at stuff waiting for recognition to kick in. This basically resulted in me falling down the stairs and breaking two toes and fracturing my ankle (which has obviously helped me pain matters immensely) Anyway the point of this incredibly long post (sorry guys) is that my doctor has taken me off this zombifying drug but is reluctant to put me on something new until I've seen my consultant which is three months away. I'm still in pain (even more so with my new injuries) and just feeling a little frustrated as I've basically been told "you have a new disease but hey ho lets leave you to it" So i was just wondering if anyone out there could give me some info regarding treatments so I can go back to my doctor a little more prepared and try and get things a little more under control!

Comments

• eugeneg
    eugeneg Member Posts: 36
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hey!
    Was wondering if anyone could help me, I have RA but recently got diagnosed with Fibromyalgia aswell. They reckon I've had it for a few years but it managed to sneak in under the cover of my arthritis (clever things, these chronic illnesses) I was prescribed Amitriptyline which literally turned me into a zombie. I couldnt function properly, I was stumbling, couldn't concentrate and spent a lot of time staring blankly at stuff waiting for recognition to kick in. This basically resulted in me falling down the stairs and breaking two toes and fracturing my ankle (which has obviously helped me pain matters immensely) Anyway the point of this incredibly long post (sorry guys) is that my doctor has taken me off this zombifying drug but is reluctant to put me on something new until I've seen my consultant which is three months away. I'm still in pain (even more so with my new injuries) and just feeling a little frustrated as I've basically been told "you have a new disease but hey ho lets leave you to it" So i was just wondering if anyone out there could give me some info regarding treatments so I can go back to my doctor a little more prepared and try and get things a little more under control!

Hi there,

I was diagnosed with RA about 6 years ago. Even though I was told by my Rheumy and various members of his team that my disease activity was under control with Enbrel, no-one could understand why I was in so much pain, and then 2 years ago I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. It hit me like a brick at the time because I didn't want another condition to deal with! Since then I have been diagnosed with 2 others.......I'm falling apart! Anyway, I was prescribed Dosulepin 25mg at night. I was a bit surprised because this is an Anti-Depressant but I was assured that all it does is block the brain signals to the nerve endings in your muscle groups basically blocking the pain. I have had to go up to 50mg at night over time but it does help and it also assists with the RA pain and getting a good night's sleep.....well, most of the time. I am sorry to hear of your accident, this is the last thing you needed! Bear the Dosulepin in mind and give your GP a kick!!!
    One last thought. Who diagnosed you? Your GP or Rheumy? Phone your Rheumy and his team, I am sure they would be able to sort you something? I am being treated as a one stop shop at mine!

I hope it works itself out for you. Take care,

Eugene.
  • piratequeen
    piratequeen Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks Eugene
    My Rheumy diagnosed me, I've tried phoning my Rheumy and the best he could offer me was an appointment in January :s
    Just want to try and get a bit more control. Im not a big fan of the cold weather anyway but this winter just seems a lot worse. Ho hum.
    Oh well, thanks for this, I think it's time for me to go to the Doctor and give them a kick (with the non fractured leg lol)

Jane
  • Shell
    Shell Member Posts: 45
    Options
    Hi
    You poor thing, its bad enough having arthur but to have fibro as well is a double wammy. I have Pa and was diagnosed with fibro last month and am still trying to get my head around it. Luckily i have a supportive doc when i was diagnosed my rhemy put me on amitriptyline 10mg but it didnt help so went to see my doc and he increased it to 20mg and fingers crossed it works i have a lovely nights sleep and no side effects through the day so it must have been hard for you and to then have a fall i think its awful how your rhemy wil not bring your appointment forward. Have you a rhemy nurse you can speak to. How much amitrip were you taking?
    Hope your pain is easing a little
    Michelle
  • miaswe
    miaswe Member Posts: 13
    Options
    I've got RA and fibro too its a pain literally!! I take 1 10mg amtriptaline? at night which helps a lot, I also find warm baths and heat the best as like you can't stand the cold, and also feel better if I try and get out for a walk. You should see me getting ready for bed, PG's socks, shoulder shawl, 2 hot water bottles one for feet and one to cuddle! so romantic! and that's all year round, and a radiator by the bed in winter. I don't think there is a lot they can do for fibro really, my Mum had it to and then it was called fibrositis and all she was given then was paracetamol. Keep warm.