Still no end to the shoe nightmare.... it goes on and on

Options
roczko
roczko Member Posts: 92
edited 15. Nov 2008, 11:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
As you're having so much trouble, have you not been referred to the podiatry dept of the hospital?

Have a word with your GP.

Patrick

Comments

• roczko
    roczko Member Posts: 92
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    From Bolton NHS Primary Care Trust:

http://www.bolton.nhs.uk/Services/podiatry/foot_wear.asp

Seems most Podiatry departments do allow you to self-refer.

Hope that helps.

Patrick
  • eugeneg
    eugeneg Member Posts: 36
    Options
    Iv'e just spent another £ 50 at Cl...k's shoes ( not cheap ), they
    felt o.k. in the shop. I gets them home and went for a short walk. a big mistake. The massive swelling on the outside of my ankle was bleeding where it had been rubbing, and that was walking 400 yards.
    I must have thrown £200 worth of shoes in the bin, has anyone got any ideas to end my nightmare, once and for all.Alanmancunian

Hi Alan,

I must also have shelved several pairs over the past year. I have RA, am also double jointed in both feet, and have also Plantar Fascitis and Achilies Tendonitis in both legs and feet! I know what you are going through. I am sitting here at work wearing a pair of Finn Comfort - www.finncomfort.com - If it is of any use to you (the website that is). They are expensive but worth every penny in my mind. I have to attend business meeting after meeting and it was doing my self esteem in, sitting there in a suit and a pair of black Reebok classics!! (nothing against the trainers). My GP referred me to a Podiatrist and they recommended the shoes. I found a shop that stocked them in North London. I also ended up with inserts that I can put in my trainers. I got referred on to a sports shop and ended up with Brookes running shoes, expensive again but worth it. It made me smile, wearing professional jogging shoes for walking!!

Let me know if you have any luck.

Eugene.
  • michelle22
    michelle22 Member Posts: 93
    Options
    Just pm'd you with a good company
  • purvesrosie
    purvesrosie Member Posts: 59
    Options
    I was having a simliar problem until i discovered MBT's but they are £145 quid a pair! (have you fallen over?) i will never wear any other shoes now. the have somekind of special cushion in heal that compressed when you walk making it so comfy and they really support the foot well. http://www.swissmasai.co.uk/ this is the link to the website if you want to check them out also you can email them to ask if they would be suitable for your condition, as I did. Sorry for sounding like a saleswoman lol. i promise i don't work for them.
  • garagefluffy
    garagefluffy Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi Alan

When I buy from C###s now I wear them in the house for several hours first. They accept returns up to 28 days later provided shoes not worn outside (done this several times).

I cannot walk in any shoes without inserts now and the selection is pretty grim as they dont fit in every shoe. Cant suggest anything but trainers with soft edge. But you do have my sympathies

Jax x
  • pollyb
    pollyb Member Posts: 10
    Options
    My young nephew introduced me to VANS, the are 'skate' shoes. I don't find trainers comfoteble, but the VANS are very wide and the soles are padded. They come in some lovely colours as well as black. I get mine at Schou. The only problem I have is they are not very dressy and don't go with skirts - so it's alway trousers for me now.

good luck.

pollyb
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    Hi Alan

When I buy from C###s now I wear them in the house for several hours first. They accept returns up to 28 days later provided shoes not worn outside (done this several times).

I cannot walk in any shoes without inserts now and the selection is pretty grim as they dont fit in every shoe. Cant suggest anything but trainers with soft edge. But you do have my sympathies

Jax x
    i too can relate to shoe probs have always lived in trainers & boots. but re..oks cause corns (now ulcerated ) & all my lovely boots have heels. impossible to wear heels.now gonna ebay all my boots,(mostly worn once) & gonna buy furlined granny boots, flat,thermal socks. have treated myself to the fleece lined anorak for the winter.its hard to put on(probs with left arm) but its warm. hope u find some comfort somewhere soon. debs
  • jinger
    jinger Member Posts: 15
    Options
    It's such a pain in the backside (or rather feet in our case!) to find shoes that fit well when old arfur strikes in the feet. Due to having one foot wider than the other due to the swelling arfur causes in one of my feet, I've been on a never-ending trek to find decent shoes.

I'm afraid I'm a sucker for Crocs - I'd live and die in them if I could! They look weird but when they're as comfy as they are - who cares?!?! I've got several pairs in different colours. They'll last about 6 months and that's with constant use. They're only about £29. Even my hubby has a couple of pairs (mind you, his are boring black). Have a look for more info at www.lookatmycrazyshoes.com
    You might ven find a stockist near you so you can try them out before you buy.

Good luck in your quest!!
    In a world where everything is a copy .... I remain an original
  • fishyface
    fishyface Member Posts: 22
    Options
    My Podiatrist has made me insoles. He recommends ecco as they have removable insoles so I can add my own to. Also www.hotter.co.uk he recommends they have website and brochure.

Hope this helps from Ugg girl x :lol:
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    well i was very surprised that a pair of trainers i bought from lidl for 6.50 are the comfy-ist trainers i have had. also the insole comes out so you can put your orthotics in.

i am going to check out those vans mentioned above, sound funky.
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Alanmancunian, I agree with fishface, I finf hotter to be wonderful and comfy, I tend to go for the thicker sole as I cant do with too much fleaxabaility. Also agree with you that reebock are not so good now, pity as I have worn them for years. I have however found that the cut price sports shops sell the reebock clasics which have the previous firm soles. Happy hunting.