hip replacement

Options
border
border Member Posts: 94
edited 28. Nov 2008, 11:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am a bit worked up because I saw my consultant on 28th October, had X-ray, on the same day and now have had a letter to see him on 25th November.

I am beginning to realise what a major operation and post op recovery period it is. Can't sday that I am scared witless, but although I have said all along I want a new hip I am now not so sure. :?

Comments

• lizzieuk1
    lizzieuk1 Member Posts: 302
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    i think get as fit and strong as possible before it, that way you will speed up the recovery time and your body will cope better with the op.good luck
  • annalisa
    annalisa Member Posts: 21
    Options
    i have had 2 new hips they are fine get the odd ache with them but nothing compared with the terrible pain before
  • plmb48
    plmb48 Member Posts: 125
    Options
    hi all
    i have had 2 hips dont worry you will feel good after. :lol: i dont know if this is of any interest to you all but i have had 9 joint replacements and i swear by uakult drink i take it for 2 weeks before op and 4 weeks after i seem to heal very well worth a try pauline :D:D
  • wallysatt
    wallysatt Member Posts: 87
    Options
    Hi Everyone.

I went to the hospital on Wednesday and my surgeon said that I need my right hip replacing...I was really shocked being as the pain is more in my left hip! He said that I could come back in 8 weeks to decide if I want to go for it.

I've just turned 27 and have had arthritis since I was 6 so all of my joints are affected. I'm thinking that maybe the pain in my right hip has been masked by my other joints also pain can often come on gradually so maybe I put it to the back of my mind and just carry on.

I can't walk far and I use a scooter and sometimes use sticks but to be honest I have a pretty decent life so I really don't know what to do. As far as I can tell my family and friends think I should go for it but I'm just worried that it isn't actually bad enough, but then surgeons don't say you need operations if it isn't bad enough do they.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Sally.
  • perran74
    perran74 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    wallysatt wrote:
    Hi Everyone.

I went to the hospital on Wednesday and my surgeon said that I need my right hip replacing...I was really shocked being as the pain is more in my left hip! He said that I could come back in 8 weeks to decide if I want to go for it.

I've just turned 27 and have had arthritis since I was 6 so all of my joints are affected. I'm thinking that maybe the pain in my right hip has been masked by my other joints also pain can often come on gradually so maybe I put it to the back of my mind and just carry on.

I can't walk far and I use a scooter and sometimes use sticks but to be honest I have a pretty decent life so I really don't know what to do. As far as I can tell my family and friends think I should go for it but I'm just worried that it isn't actually bad enough, but then surgeons don't say you need operations if it isn't bad enough do they.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Sally.
    Hi Sally - if you have the 'op then you will be taking some pressure off the left hip as well and that may help you in the long run. I have recently had a 2nd hip replacement done. The pain before it was done was excrutiating - don't let yours get like that. All the very best :lol::)
  • wallysatt
    wallysatt Member Posts: 87
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.

I did think about the pressure on my left hip, my left knee is also very affected so if those two joints can be sorted that would make a real different to my life.

I got stuck meters from my car in town today; I just couldn't walk any further. I was being stubborn and thought I didn't need my scooter and I'd try and walk. I came home and went straight to bed it was so bad. I think today’s shenanigans has made up my mind to go for it.

Do you mind me asking how old you were when you had your op's?
  • perran74
    perran74 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    wallysatt wrote:
    Thanks for your reply.

I did think about the pressure on my left hip, my left knee is also very affected so if those two joints can be sorted that would make a real different to my life.

I got stuck meters from my car in town today; I just couldn't walk any further. I was being stubborn and thought I didn't need my scooter and I'd try and walk. I came home and went straight to bed it was so bad. I think today’s shenanigans has made up my mind to go for it.

Do you mind me asking how old you were when you had your op's?
    Hi again - I am74 now - but feel 34!!
    Was 62 when I had first hip done . But whatever your age the op is such a good anti depressant!! I belong to a barbershop chorus and we travel abroad and all over UK so I had something to aim for.
    I do hope you decide to go for the 'op and let me know if and when you have had it. Best wishes from :lol::o Sheila
  • methogirl
    methogirl Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi

I am 44 years old and had my right hip replaced 7 years ago. Its brilliant. The recovery was really quick for me, and I would recommend you having the op if you can. Dont be scared. The nurses will look after you and you will see improvement which pushes you along.

Jo
  • noeltone
    noeltone Member Posts: 878
    Options
    Ive just had my left one done Sept and it is now so less painful and I am slowly able to get up and down a lot better. My care was superb