Walking Sticks

Options
woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
edited 16. Nov 2008, 06:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
Sometimes, when I'm out in the street walking alone and my left upper thigh gets painful, I stumble, which I find a scary. I wonder if a walking stick could help, but I don't really want to go their. My GP and the physio have not suggested this and I do'nt want to ask as it makes me seem like a hypocondriac :( But I'm limiting the places I will walk alone and keep clear of crowds and this is a bit restricting, if I had something to stabalze me maybe I would have more confidence. I don't know :?: :?:

Comments

• piratequeen
    piratequeen Member Posts: 13
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hey
    I've recently had to get myself a walking stick. My advice is to just ask your GP or physio.
    I had, had trouble walking and kept wondering if a walking stick would work. Luckily for me my dad is in social services and told me that I could get a free walking stick through my local authorities. I gave it a try and found it really useful so I went back to my doctor and told them that I had tried a walking stick and found it really useful. From there they told me that if it worked then I should stick with it (excuse unitentional pun) but not to rely on it.
    Since then I have now graduated onto a wonderful range of coloured walking stick (one for each outfit) and it has massively helped me to gain more independence.
  • tweedie
    tweedie Member Posts: 70
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    Sometimes, when I'm out in the street walking alone and my left upper thigh gets painful, I stumble, which I find a scary. I wonder if a walking stick could help, but I don't really want to go their. My GP and the physio have not suggested this and I do'nt want to ask as it makes me seem like a hypocondriac :( But I'm limiting the places I will walk alone and keep clear of crowds and this is a bit restricting, if I had something to stabalze me maybe I would have more confidence. I don't know :?: :?:

Hi ,
    If using a walking stick helps you feel more relaxed and safer, then go for it !!! , if you feel tense outside your pain will increase, you are not a hypocondriac , a stick is an 'aid' , life is hard enough living with 'arfur' so any thing that helps is a must, and one of the best things about this help -- is no side effects for once :):):)
  • garagefluffy
    garagefluffy Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi
    I have been using a stick for 18 months on and off. Went to buy a new one today as broke the handle on work stick Saturday.

Yes you feel a complete pratt :oops: the first few times you use it in public but its no worse than getting used to wearing glasses.

If it helps use one (I too recommend one with anotomical handle).

Jax
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    jasperalty wrote:
    Hi, I spoke to my Occupational Therapist, she helped me get a special stick with a grip for weak hands, this is helping me a lot, I tend to stumble and trip, I found the stick a bit difficult to get used to it, but now use it indoor and out love Katxxx
    im not very good at asking 4 help,been pyhsio told them cant get out as much as id like to.oh exercise,excerise.they tell me.exercise is walking,i get severe pain on raising from chair.just seem to ignore me.so i just walk away,saying no more,but when i get home im feeling sorry 4 myself :oops: im 41 so feel to young to ask 4 walking aids,embrassed.so im gonna buy my own then stuff physio cause its not helping have been doing the same exercises since my neck ceased up in march08.physio then made me worst.soz 4 long post.debs
  • woodbon
    Options
    mash65 wrote:
    jasperalty wrote:
    Hi, I spoke to my Occupational Therapist, she helped me get a special stick with a grip for weak hands, this is helping me a lot, I tend to stumble and trip, I found the stick a bit difficult to get used to it, but now use it indoor and out love Katxxx
    im not very good at asking 4 help,been pyhsio told them cant get out as much as id like to.oh exercise,excerise.they tell me.exercise is walking,i get severe pain on raising from chair.just seem to ignore me.so i just walk away,saying no more,but when i get home im feeling sorry 4 myself :oops: im 41 so feel to young to ask 4 walking aids,embrassed.so im gonna buy my own then stuff physio cause its not helping have been doing the same exercises since my neck ceased up in march08.physio then made me worst.soz 4 long post.debs
    Yes, I think I will have to ask, its not always too bad, but quite ofen, as you say i stumble and trip or my leg gives way and walking around the village here, their are no pavements and the sides of the road are very poorly maintained :| so it would be practical sometimes even if I do feel embarrised :oops: Thanks for all the comments. Sue.
  • avalon
    avalon Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi

I have a walking stick which I use occasionally if I need to. I used to stumble and got it for the same reasons as you, and it does make you feel a little more secure, when you're on your own. I asked my physio if it would help and they gave me one. I think it is a good idea to ask your physio as they measure you and give you the right size for you. If you get the wrong size it might make problems worse.

Hope this helps :D

Janetx
  • kazpaz
    kazpaz Bots Posts: 103
    Options
    Hi All

I had surgery 3 weeks ago on left ankle and knee. The physio gave me a walking stick the day after the op and it was really comfortable and helped me get about a bit easier.

Since coming home it has revolutionised my life. I always thought I would never go there and just accepted the many trips and stumbles as part of my RA. I used it alone in the City today and even though I met someone I hadn't seen in ages, who looked somewhat shocked to see me crawling along with a stick, I didn't feel in the slightest bit embarrassed, just liberated and safer! :)

No regrets.

Might think about getting a "posh" one though! 8)

Kaz
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Hi. I would happily use a walking stick or crutch as have like you problems walking. However until I have cervical surgery the advice is that it would place too much pressure on my neck. So will continue to stumble along until I am able to get one.
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    hi i'm 34 and started using a stick when i was 29, i agrea i felt very self consious to start with but it helped to use it and it soon just became the norm for me! i have a black stick with a silver skull on the top and a plain black one, after all i'm still a rock chick at heart!!! they cost me a lot but i hated the nhs and did feel lees self consious with my black ones!
    but when i had my daughter the pushchair became my walking aid and it is so much easier pushing her pushchair as it doesn't hurt my hands as much, my worry is what to do when she is to big for the pushchair? i know from experience that without the pushchair walking is alot more painful even when using my stick as i think i really need 2 sticks but i just don't have the coordination to use 2! i get all confused and just can't do it! i often joke about getting a shopping trolley thing, you know the bags on four wheels that you push? but somedays i think it will be either a walking frame or the trolley for real! i don't know what i'll do, maybe i could push my cat around in a pram? or a doll!!
  • woodbon
    Options
    suzster wrote:
    hi i'm 34 and started using a stick when i was 29, i agrea i felt very self consious to start with but it helped to use it and it soon just became the norm for me! i have a black stick with a silver skull on the top and a plain black one, after all i'm still a rock chick at heart!!! they cost me a lot but i hated the nhs and did feel lees self consious with my black ones!
    but when i had my daughter the pushchair became my walking aid and it is so much easier pushing her pushchair as it doesn't hurt my hands as much, my worry is what to do when she is to big for the pushchair? i know from experience that without the pushchair walking is alot more painful even when using my stick as i think i really need 2 sticks but i just don't have the coordination to use 2! i get all confused and just can't do it! i often joke about getting a shopping trolley thing, you know the bags on four wheels that you push? but somedays i think it will be either a walking frame or the trolley for real! i don't know what i'll do, maybe i could push my cat around in a pram? or a doll!!

When I was little, I used to put Mum's headscarf on my doll and push her around in my dollspram. The stupid cat loved it, but Mum was'nt very pleased :lol: Another strange lady from down the road had a basket on wheels and used to push her rabbit about and take it shopping :!: Oxford is full of strange people. like me :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I will be seeing my ruemmy a week on Tues so I will ask him about it then. Its great that so many people replied. Its something I which has a physcological effect, as well as a physical one and its helped me to have your support. Love Sue :D