Suggestions for help

Options
scully2444
scully2444 Member Posts: 3
edited 18. Nov 2008, 20:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
I would be extremely grateful if anyone could suggest where I can go to get some help. I'll try and keep this very brief.

I live next door to a council owned property - they re roofed the council property and the contractors damaged my roof 2 months ago. I am now left with gaps in the roof tiles and missing torching. Heat is escaping and my health is suffering.

Regretably despite making numerous complaints both to the Housing and the CEO of Leeds City Council he is not prepared to take ownership of the matter and sort out the problem. The housing office are selective in what they answer and quite frankly I'm at the end of my tether dealing with this.

The roof needs repairing urgently before rain gets in. To clarify this isn't covered under my house buildings policy as its defective workmanship.

Is there any high profile group that can shame the council in to putting right the damage they caused.

Thanks for reading.

Scully2444

Comments

• mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    scully2444 wrote:
    I would be extremely grateful if anyone could suggest where I can go to get some help. I'll try and keep this very brief.

I live next door to a council owned property - they re roofed the council property and the contractors damaged my roof 2 months ago. I am now left with gaps in the roof tiles and missing torching. Heat is escaping and my health is suffering.

Regretably despite making numerous complaints both to the Housing and the CEO of Leeds City Council he is not prepared to take ownership of the matter and sort out the problem. The housing office are selective in what they answer and quite frankly I'm at the end of my tether dealing with this.

The roof needs repairing urgently before rain gets in. To clarify this isn't covered under my house buildings policy as its defective workmanship.

Is there any high profile group that can shame the council in to putting right the damage they caused.

Thanks for reading.

Scully2444
    have u tried c.a.b they may give u a link to who can help.sorry cant think of anyone else. good luck debs
  • suziev
    suziev Member Posts: 252
    Options
    have you tried the local paper, that would shame them, you on the front of it, would soon get things moving :lol:
  • debsmartin
    debsmartin Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Hi

When we had a problem we found Consumer Direct very helpful they gave us alot of help

debs
  • nickynysmon08
    nickynysmon08 Bots Posts: 111
    Options
    scully2444 wrote:

Thanks for reading.

Scully2444

this is very worrying. if I lived near you I would do the job for you, but, that not being the case, have you tried a solicitor? a letter from thme may solve the problem sent to the council. also, try the citizens advice beaureau. also, have you done a trawl on the internet using Google? try local services of you council, they should have a website. find the department, then send a letter, keeping a copy of the ones you send. also, send a letter to your local MP. again you should find him off the internet. Lastly have a word with your doctor, he should have some idea of your health is suffering from someones bad workmanship. let us know how you get on!!!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options
    I'd back Nick up there
    Local MPs love getting involved in this sort of thing!
    I do hope you get it sorteed soon.
    Toni x
  • scully2444
    scully2444 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for all your replies.

CAB haven't been able to give us any further help. We've tried a solicitor but we would have to meet the costs at £180 per hour that's a non starter. We have legal expenses cover and submitted the documentation to them but because there is recourse under the Party Wall Act that won't kick in.

We have had some assistance from our MP. However as he has pointed out local council isn't his domain and our Councillor should have got involved. He ignored our emails.

We did get a piece in the local paper - the council said "it was inevitable that there would be damage"! Very reassuring! However after that they ignored emails. Only responded when we sent one saying we were going to issue proceedings.

I've now made four separate requests for a meeting with the CEO of Leeds City Council. Two he's refused, one request he ignored and he's ignored the last email. In their wisdom they are going to stage 2 of their complaints procedure. Which is a total joke as we are still waiting for a reply to our formal complaint which they should have replied to a month ago.

I am totally disgusted that in my letter to the CEO I pointed out my disability and requested confirmation that they would meet increased heating costs. The response was complete a compensation form.

We are desperately trying to find a roofer to do the work. Those that have come out so far don't want to touch the job but have said it will be in the region of a thousand pounds plus how ever much it costs to replace the torching internally. Council are demanding that we get three estimates for the work.

At the end of the day the council's preferred contractors caused the damage and yet we are being made to suffer. Other half has been badly affected as he was off work with stress to start out with and this has just been the final straw. Our GP has given us the name of his builder and we are waiting to see if he will come out and give us an estimate.

I am sorely tempted now just to write to the PM's office and really show up the council for being totally incompetent.

Scully