Anyone out there with OA of jaw?

Options
magenta
magenta Member Posts: 1,604
edited 11. Nov 2011, 08:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,
Does anyone have this? I've just been diagnosed with this and dentist not interested :? Have to wait until 24th (not long) to find out if new rhuemy will do anything about it. Anyone got any stories or tips for me? Thanks in advance,
Magenta x

Comments

• magenta
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Guess that's a no then. Does that mean I'm unique? :wink:
    Magenta x
  • magenta
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm going to be a pain about this one :wink: I'm not convinced that no-one else visiting this forum has OA of jaw! There must be some-one?
    Magenta x
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Magenta,

How does it feel talking to yourself :lol::lol:

I have arthritis in my jaw but not OA so I would think my experience is possibly different from yours. Some years ago when I had a wisdom tooth out at the hospital they did an x-ray of the jaw and the dentist was appalled that I was only mid-thirties because the top of my jaw had worn flat instead of being nice and round - he thought they'd got my DOB wrong :shock: This causes me no pain now (discounting flare-ups) but was awful in my early RA years. It does restrict my jaw opening and when I had another wisdom tooth (didn't know I was that wise :? ) removed at the hospital this year they had big problems. It was attached to the bone but they couldn't get the leverage and even when they put the stitches in it was a bit grim. :cry:

I think you must talk to your consultant about this, unless you already have and really think your dentist is a bit useless if he/she isn't interested :x :x

I know this probably won't have helped you but I felt I just had to reply as everyone else is ignoring your pleas :wink:

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • magenta
    Options
    Hiya,
    At last someone replied! Does feel strange replying to my own posts but needs must-if only to keep it at the top of page :)
    I'm going to a new rhuemy on Monday so I'm hoping they do something about it.
    Thanks for your reply :wink:
    Magenta x
  • yayyar
    yayyar Member Posts: 21
    Options
    sorry magenta only just read your post.I used to suffer from arthur in my jaw and occasionally have flare ups my doc said it was caused by me grating my teeth at night while i was sleeping (dont know about that has i was fast on) and advised me to speak with the dentist so they could make me a gum shield which they did wore it for about 4 weeks and the pain in jaw stopped and now cant remember last time it flared but saying that im on mtx so that could be keeping it at bay...its a realy bad place to get it in 6the jaw coz yer dont know if its yer neck or earache yerv got my simpathys petal but for me the gum shield realy worked

all the best
    andrew
  • magenta
    Options
    Hi Andrew,
    I'm having pain every day, escalates from painful to unbearable over a few days. I try and rest my jaw (very hard!) and pain settles but then comes back. I too grind my teeth at night-apparently! The dentist says she can tell by my teeth :shock: I'm getting another shield fitted soon. I had one years ago but I couldn't wear it. I'm worried because I have several erosions in both sides of jaw and have read that the joint can eventually fuse! I can't imagine having a fused jaw :shock: What would I eat and how would I talk?
    Thanks for replying,
    Magenta :wink:
  • yayyar
    yayyar Member Posts: 21
    Options
    magenta
    i couldnt get used to the shield at first or last come to that so the dentist said wear it through the day and try at night to keep it in many mornings id have to go searching for it coz through the night imust have wanged it any were...it sounds like a difficult time for you at the minute but dont get too upset yet see what the docs can do for yer my doc said to me do i like sausage when it first started i said yeah so he said get a sausage sarny down yer neck has that would give the jaw some physio which i did took for ever to eat the thing but it did help

hope this helps
    andrew
  • magenta
    Options
    Hiya,
    Just done some jaw physio with some chocolate hob-nobs :D Jaw still sore but I feel better :wink:
    Magenta x
  • luckybug
    luckybug Member Posts: 205
    Options
    I have it too, I struggle when I go to the dentist to open my mouth, but he is very nice and patient, and luckily for me I have good teeth, would have to go into hospital to have teeth removed.
  • algipan
    algipan Member Posts: 5
    Options
    magenta wrote:
    Hello,
    Does anyone have this? I've just been diagnosed with this and dentist not interested :? Have to wait until 24th (not long) to find out if new rhuemy will do anything about it. Anyone got any stories or tips for me? Thanks in advance,
    Magenta x

Hi Magenta. I'm in the same shoes as you, crippling pain sometimes and it gives me the worst headaches. How did you get on with your appointment on the 24th?
  • magenta
    Options
    algipan wrote:
    magenta wrote:
    Hello,
    Magenta x

Hi Magenta. I'm in the same shoes as you, crippling pain sometimes and it gives me the worst headaches. How did you get on with your appointment on the 24th?

Hello algipan,
    It's horrible isn't it? I'm always in some kind of pain and it's really draining-when I wake up, it's the first thing I feel. I got a splint today from the max facial clinic so will be trying it tonight. (You reminded me about it-I've been away to look for it and I can't find it! I think my daughter has nicked it!) My rhuemy appt. on 24th went well (for all my other aches and pains!) but he wants a report of the dentists findings on xray before he can do anything. Suppose that's normal. I want steroid injections but I think it will depend on where my erosions are ie. in cartilage or jaw bone. I'm constantly taking painkillers like sweeties-not good :shock: Are you getting any treatment? Physio have told me that in the morning I should slosh some warm water around my mouth, over the joints but over the past 2 days it's been bearable. I sympathise with you completely, I think it's one area where people don't think about in regards to how much pain you're in. The TMJ is the most used joint in my opinion, even yawning is excrutiating!! God I talk alot-that's one of my problems I suppose :D
    Let me know how you're getting on with your jaw, take care,
    Magenta x
  • algipan
    Options
    Hello algipan,
    It's horrible isn't it? I'm always in some kind of pain and it's really draining-when I wake up, it's the first thing I feel. I got a splint today from the max facial clinic so will be trying it tonight. (You reminded me about it-I've been away to look for it and I can't find it! I think my daughter has nicked it!) My rhuemy appt. on 24th went well (for all my other aches and pains!) but he wants a report of the dentists findings on xray before he can do anything. Suppose that's normal. I want steroid injections but I think it will depend on where my erosions are ie. in cartilage or jaw bone. I'm constantly taking painkillers like sweeties-not good :shock: Are you getting any treatment? Physio have told me that in the morning I should slosh some warm water around my mouth, over the joints but over the past 2 days it's been bearable. I sympathise with you completely, I think it's one area where people don't think about in regards to how much pain you're in. The TMJ is the most used joint in my opinion, even yawning is excrutiating!! God I talk alot-that's one of my problems I suppose :D
    Let me know how you're getting on with your jaw, take care,
    Magenta x[/quote]

Hi Magenta. No taking painkillers like sweets isn't good but I know what you're going through, sometimes I just keep taking more and more until I fall asleep, at least then I can't feel the pain! Push for the steroid injections, I used to have them quite regularly and they worked very well - it just feels the joint up and stops it all scraping. The first time is a bit scarey but once the painkiller jab is in you won't feel a thing, its just the noise is a bit unpleasant!!! I'm on tramadol, gabapentin and back on diclofenac but have now been referred to UCH for surgery as its become unbearable (bluddy weather). Its so frustrating, 2 weeks on holiday in the sun and it didn't hurt once, ever since I've been back its been excruciating - as my consultant tells me every time I see him, he wishes he could write me a prescription to go live in the sun!!! Its been said before but what really helps is the hot/cold treatment - I put an ice pack on my jaw for 10 minutes then a hot pack - the nerves get so confused that the pain seems to ease off a bit - so if it gets really bad, give it a go. It won't get rid of it completely but may help to tone it down a bit. And the yawning, my consultant told me if I'm going to yawn, put your tongue up and touch the roof of your mouth, its stops you opening your mouth too much! Oh and he told me to stop talking so much!!!!! Yeah like thats going to happen. Anyway keep me updated as to how you're getting on won't you.
    Alison
  • magenta
    Options
    Hi Alison,
    I found my splint this morning! Typical! I like to use a wheat cushion on my jaw, the only thing is it stinks :) It's got dried cherry seeds inside and when you heat it it whiffs! I don't think I could bear an ice pack. What kind of surgery are you getting? I too have been told not to talk as much-ha ha! Also, dentist told me to go on a soft food diet for 6mths!!!!!!!! I know that's not gonna happen :D
    Let me know how you get on,
    Magenta x
  • magenta
    Options
    Hello,
    Got my splint, put it in, went to bed. Woke up to find it beside me in bed. I've taken it out during my sleep, didn't know anything about it! Will try again tonight, but I guess the same thing will happen tonight!
    Magenta
  • algipan
    Options
    magenta wrote:
    Hello,
    Got my splint, put it in, went to bed. Woke up to find it beside me in bed. I've taken it out during my sleep, didn't know anything about it! Will try again tonight, but I guess the same thing will happen tonight!
    Magenta

hi magenta - sorry i disappeared, i log on at work and have been mega busy the last couple of weeks - now going quiet for christmas thank goodness.
    i had my first surgery about 10 years ago, i had an arthroscopy to look at my jaw and shave it down a bit. unfortunately during the shaving down they caused a lot of damage and i've been left with no cartilage and nerve damage. i had follow up surgery to try and solve it by using another bit of muscle and i've had it shaved a few times now. it just gets worse every time really so its worth holding out for as long as you can - of course my GP now tells me i should never have had it done in the first place (although i can't remember that actually ever being my choice!) i now am looking at 2 scenarios, the docs stealing a bit of cartilage from my ear and sticking it in my gob or making me bionic with a bit of titanium. what a choice eh. i'm still waiting for my appointment so will let you know when all is decided. its been very painful lately though and as much as i try to laugh it up, there are times when i really could do with just a couple of days of no pain.

i read your post above, made me spit out my tea i laughed so much!!!!! that always used to happen to me, i remember going to sleep with it in but at some point during the night it ended up on my pillow!!!
  • magenta
    Options
    Hello again!
    That all sounds horrendous :shock: I'm never letting anyone touch my jaw-poor you! I've been able to keep splint in my gob nearly every night and I do think it's helping-result! I've to go back to max clinic next month for a review and rheumy wanting xray results from dentist. The thing I am more worried about is the repeat ct scan they've booked me for Feb 09-there's something odd going on with nerves and muscle in cheek. Just have to wait and see I suppose. Let us know how you get on re appointment. Nice talking to you again :wink:
    Magenta x
  • algipan
    Options
    magenta wrote:
    Hello again!
    That all sounds horrendous :shock: I'm never letting anyone touch my jaw-poor you! I've been able to keep splint in my gob nearly every night and I do think it's helping-result! I've to go back to max clinic next month for a review and rheumy wanting xray results from dentist. The thing I am more worried about is the repeat ct scan they've booked me for Feb 09-there's something odd going on with nerves and muscle in cheek. Just have to wait and see I suppose. Let us know how you get on re appointment. Nice talking to you again :wink:
    Magenta x

you too Magenta - its really good to talk to someone in the same boat. appointment is next thursday so hopefully i'll know more then. and well done for keeping your splint in!!!! good luck with your appointments, do keep me updated.
  • magenta
    Options
    Hello Algipan,
    Oh no! Jaw sore again, after me thinking that things were improving :? My wee girl found my splint and after telling her why I use it etc she burst into tears! My wee boy thinks it's a toy :lol: I was getting used to not having neck, cheek, tooth and jaw pain. My appointments are all next year (Jan) so you're gonna be quicker than me. Hope things are good with you,
    magenta x
  • magenta
    Options
    Bumped for Nicky,

Magenta x
  • nickynoo29
    nickynoo29 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    thanks Magenta,