Margaret Hills Cider Vinegar diet

Options
purbeckgirl
purbeckgirl Member Posts: 5
edited 27. May 2010, 05:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Since I was diagnosed with OA 2 months ago, I have been trying the Margaret Hills Cider Vinegar diet. I read about it in the book
"Treating Arthritis: The Drug Free Way by Margaret Hills"

It sounds pretty ridiculous - that our highly respected medical professionals have somehow missed the trivial easy way all arthritis can be cured by a change of diet - but it seems to have a substantial following and I thought it wouldn't do any harm...

Has anyone out there tried it for any length of time and if so I would love to know how they got on.

Many thanks, Debbie

Comments

• dianel
    dianel Member Posts: 48
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,
    Yes, I followed this whole programme for 10 months. I can't say that it helped - in fact I know my joints deteriorated in that time. I did it because when you read her book it does make some sense and I've always gone for the "alternative" option. I think it may help with mild arthritic pain - there seems to be many people who say so including Sir Ranulph Fiennes who actually endorses it, but I can't say I would recommend putting out the money for the full treatment due to my own experience. I still take the cider vinegar and my diet doesn't differ a great deal from what is recommended anyway.
    Hope this helps. Diane.
  • Shell
    Shell Member Posts: 45
    Options
    Hi
    Interesting subject i bought some cider vinegar on holiday in Norfolk a few weeks ago the notice claimed it helped Arthritis and being one to try anything i bought some :oops: but when i got back home am at a loss what to do with it how can i use it :( any suggestions wil be greatly appriciated.
    Michelle
  • garagefluffy
    garagefluffy Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Tried it. Awful stuff. After one week had biggest flare to date. Coincidence? I think not.

Jax
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    My Rheumy just smiled when I mentioned it and he said that "weel if it works for you....." Sorry to say it didn't!
    Kate
  • dianel
    Options
    Hi Shell,
    To answer your question as to how to use the Cider Vinegar - you can take a tablespoon with a teaspoon of honey in half a pint of warm water anytime but particularly first thing in the morning. You can also use it as you would ordinary vinegar in salad dressings. I don't agree that the vinegar is "awful" in fact I find it quite pleasant taken in the drink as suggested.

In the Margaret Hills' system it doesn't just involve taking cider vinegar - it's necessary for the whole diet and recommendations to be followed and some people might find this quite strict. Hope this helps, Diane.
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Hi Debbie, I tried this many years ago, I don't think it helped me much, however still use it in various recipes, it is great with honey and chestnuts pured over roast chicken and baked potato...no need to use butter in the tatty :lol:
  • purbeckgirl
    purbeckgirl Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Many thanks for your comments. I, like Diane, am on the full Margaret Hills diet, which involves the following:
    1. a mix of 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 dessert spoon of cider vinegar in warm water taken 3 times a day (I must admit this was a bit odd tasting at first but I have come to love this drink).
    2. taking a vitamins and minerals supplied by the Margaret Hills clinic
    3. bathing in Epsom salts 3 times a week and Epsom salt hand and foot baths.
    4. avoiding all acidic foods (including tomatos and most fruit except pears, apples and peaches), no white sugar and flour, no dairy except skimmed milk and cottage cheese, eating less salt, no alcohol, no cakes, no biscuits, no chocolate and no pork, beef, ham, sausage or pates.

It's really easy, except the diet, which is really hard to stick to, especially if you go out to eat as there is next to nothing to choose from. However, I feel pretty well on it and have lost 6 pounds in 2 months. It hasn't made any difference to my joints yet though. I will try your cider vinegar,honey and chestnut puree - many thanks Petmad.

No one on the forum seems to have a positive view of this diet, but I am hoping that is because it is so successful for some that they no longer contribute to arthritis forums and are out doing adventure sports instead (I can dream).
    I'm going to try it for 4 months, so will update with any changes and, fingers crossed, it will make some difference...

All the best, Debbie
  • lynnmary
    lynnmary Member Posts: 12
    Options
    was interested to see the above diet ..a close friend of mine i call her my little white witch advised me to aviod a acidic foods tomatoes etc and pork very similar to the above ..but said i could eat beef chicken etc ..advised i take rosehip once a day ..and made me up some lovely oils for the bath.
    i am giong to try the epson salts ..but the diet seems quiet similar
    i cant say im feeling any better ra wise but thinking i could be worse .. :D
    good luck with diet
    lynn
  • kezzo1
    kezzo1 Member Posts: 171
    Options
    i tried doing the vinegar and honey twice a day and did notice a diff less stiffness
  • dianel
    Options
    It's true that not many people consider alternative remedies to be any use with regard to RA. I don't exactly feel like that even though I tried this diet for 10 months. It wasn't too difficult for me because I don't eat meat or drink alcohol anyway.

I still do most of the things recommended although I don't have the protein drinks or vitamins supplied by the clinic anymore due to the cost - I have a range of vitamins I've always taken and a good diet. What I will say is that since following it my migraine headaches have improved vastly, and I believe a lot of people with RA suffer with migraines - a link somewhere? Good luck with it and please remember to let us know how you get on. Best wishes, Diane.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Bumped up for Salamander. There have been other threads too and to be honest the feedback is pretty negative to put it mildly.

E x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.