humira

Options
cheekycath
cheekycath Member Posts: 3
edited 20. Nov 2008, 17:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi everyone started humira pen injection yesterday and the area where ive injected is raised a bit and a bit itchy
can anyone tell me if this is normal :idea: reguards cheekycath :lol:

Comments

• katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    cheekycath wrote:
    hi everyone started humira pen injection yesterday and the area where ive injected is raised a bit and a bit itchy
    can anyone tell me if this is normal :idea: reguards cheekycath :lol:

Hiya,
    Yes I had that when I started on Humira ( now on Enbrel). I know it's hard but try not to scratch it as it will make it feel worse and the raised area larger if you do. Still get a slight reaction and been on Enbrel for nearly 2 years but the strange thing is I don't get reaction every time. I think it must have something to do with where you are injecting and if you got any of the "meds" on the actual needle. I don't know if that IS the case I am just summising.
    Kate
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    Options
    very normal. I used to get those everytime I injected but after being on the drug about 2 months they stopped. I found aloe vera gell helped a lot with the itching if applied after the injection. You also try taking an OTC anti-histimine before you inject.
  • poppy30
    poppy30 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    That happened to me too.... not every time but I did sometimes get the redness and itching after injecting. Could try applying an icepack to the affected area afterwards... worked for me! :lol:
    Make sure you let your rheumy know about the site reaction aswell as they may want to keep an eye on things just to make sure it doesn't get any worse.

Hope the drug is working for you.... I had a great response to Humira! :D

Poppy x
  • cheekycath
    cheekycath Member Posts: 3
    Options
    hi would like to thank you for your advice,its a great forum thisand its good to know your not on your own :lol:
    thanks cheekycath
  • ktl297
    ktl297 Member Posts: 50
    Options
    Hi,
    I use humira too and I also get an itchy patch sometimes. I use an ice pack before I inject and then when I've done the deed I rub firmly over the place where I did it then put the ice pack back on for a bit. The rubbing makes the humira spread out from the injection site more quickly and that eases the itching (thank you to my Rheum Nurse!). The ice calms down the burning feeling. Good luck with it!
  • luckybug
    luckybug Member Posts: 205
    Options
    I have been using Humira for about 3 months, but have had to stop due to a fungal infection on my left leg and foot, I had no problems with the Humira and was feeling a bit better, then this rash appeared, but I took two courses of antibiotics and it never cleared, then when I went back to see Rheumy nurse, he tells me they wont work while Im taking Humira.... so have had to give it up until this infection clears. Hope it clears soon, I'm aching again.