quick question about mtx injections

Options
suzster
suzster Member Posts: 1,328
edited 16. Nov 2008, 18:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
sorry i've not been about as much lately, i've had a busy few weeks with hossie appointments and the dreaded housework!!
i wrote on here that i'm going to be trying mtx injections and i had the practice rheumy nurse ring yesterday and i've got to go to rheumy clinic on 27th of november for my 1st injection, then again the following week so i can try giving myself one, does anyone know why she does the 1st one? i just thought if i could try doing that 1st one it would make sence? i was thinking about suggesting that when i see her on 27th but just wanted to see if there is any reason why it's done by her 1st time? i think i just want to get the injections started so i can hopefully get some relief from the horrid sickness the tablets give me! and i figure if i can try doing injections straight away if would be sensible surely?! also if i get on ok do i have to keep going back to hossie for a few weeks or is that just until i get the hang of it? as it is so hard to get there and back, to be honest i wish my gp practice nurse could help me as it is easy to get there! i did try asking the rhuemy practice nurse these questions but she seemed in a rush to just get the appointments booked then get of the phone, joy!!
also, i take by mtx tablets on a saturday night so i can rest sunday, but because i'm have my 1st injection on a thursday she told me not to take my normal dose on the saturday before, do you think i will be achey from missing this one dose? i just want to be prepared because if i'm going to hurt i might need some support looking after my toddler!
any advice would be much appreciated! :lol:

Comments

• suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    thanks for that, i think i'd be better doing the 1st one to be honest so i'll say that to nurse and see what she says! it just seems mad to have her do it really.
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I had two weeks of 'training' which basically consisted of the nurse showing me how to get everything ready and what to do the first week, although I actually did the injection, and then the second week I had to get everything ready from scratch & do the injection so that she could be sure that I would do everything right at home.

Don't worry - it is not as bad as it sounds!