Got to keep going!?

Options
eugeneg
eugeneg Member Posts: 36
edited 17. Nov 2008, 05:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,

I don't wish to start the week with the daftest question of all but I just wanted to gauge some opinion of how the rest of you cope, keep going etc. It occurs to me that from reading some of your posts I am quite well off, comapring to some of you. By that I mean my RA was spotted early before any major damage was caused. I have RA with some joint and nerve damage in my feet, have Fibro, plus other problems along with painful infections. I have a young family and want to do my utmost for them. I hold down quite a senior position at work and I start every day before 8 and go home at after 5. I drive over 200 miles per week, plus business trips on top, but I am afraid to admit I am in danger of burning out!! Work have been brilliant with me but I am afraid in this day and age that if I show any weakness I will get pushed sideways, maybe I should move sideways and take more of a back-seat, I don't know. I try not to think of the future but I do and I worry about how I will be and what use/burden I might be to my loved ones. The constant pain and daily doses of tablets and weekly injections are on top of me again! Am I making any sense? Anyone got any suggestions/similar experiences?

On a lighter note I went to the football Saturday and blew off some steam with a few beers (quite a few in fact - first time in a long while) paid for it yesterday!

Take care all,

Eugene.

Comments

• katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Eugene,
    I don't think there is any magic answer to your question sorry. I think everyone of us has our own way of coping. Personally I thank God for the good days and curse the devil for the bad. I take each day as it comes and if I need help I ask. I try not to be a martyr to this illness and I try not to let it rule my life.
    Don't be afraid to ask for different/alternative therapies for pain. Try them all (I have ) hopefully you will find one that will suit you.
    Personally visualisation works for me. Just because it is right for some doesn't mean it's right for you. So experiment.
    My girls were the best thing for me. Because of them I got out of my wheelchair and my "why me?" attitude.
    Don't worry about becoming a burden on those you love. A study showed that kids from families with a "Disabled" (sorry I hate that word) parent were more empathic to others and more good natured and giving as adults.
    As for your work ...can you delegate? You may see it as giving in but your colleagues may see it as helping. Is there somewhere you can go and rest your eyes for 20 minutes at lunchtime? Sometimes more of a pick me up than food!
    Anway I don't know whether or not you have tried any of these things but they may/may not help.
    Take care
    Kate