Options
sogoviaa
sogoviaa Member Posts: 2
edited 24. Nov 2008, 07:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone
I am new but have suffered OA for 25years but was only diagnosed 2 years ago. The problem i am having now is that i have had to go on the sick as every working day i have had my hands affected by swelling and pain on a daily basis. I can't even carry shopping bags even of the lightest form and i can only use small pans when cooking and if i prepare fresh veg my fingers swell and become painful. I just wanted to itroduce myself

Thanks
sogoviaa

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sogoviaa and welcome to the forum.

If you have to carry shopping try to put the bag(s) on you forearm don't try to carry it in your hands as the weight will pull on your fingers too much. 'Good Grips' are also a range of kitchen tools you could try that are wider and easier to handle and will put less strain on your hands. Just a thought.

Hope you feel better soon.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    Hi Sogoviaa
    welcome to the forum :)
    Nice to meet you!
    Sorry to hear your hands are swelling so much. You have already recieved some good advice from the others, but there are one or two 'cheating' things you can do in the kitchen too :oops: Like buying ready made mash - no peeling or heavy pans full of boiling water!! He He!
    Just out of interest have you put in for Disability Living allowance? This could help to pay for some of the extra bits and peices you need.
    Take care
    Toni x
  • plmb48
    plmb48 Member Posts: 125
    Options
    welcome
    what a place to find help /advice/ understanding /and careing people.pauline :P :P :P
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Hi sogoviaa, welcome to AC. I am quite new here myself, my story is very like your own with long period of symptoms with diagnosis of OA just 2 years ago.
    I share your plight regarding working with hands and echo the good advice already given by others. In addition to the ready made mash, my local asda have drated carrot in the salad section and all sorts of prepared veg, also ready diced onion in the freezer. I have gone all out on these products over the last 12 month.
    I live on my own so now shop daily for small amounts so I can cut down on the weights.
  • kezzo1
    kezzo1 Member Posts: 171
    Options
    welcome, were all friendly here just mail u ur feeling down or want a good moan! :?
    hope ur ok at mo
    spk soon im sure
    lv kezzo

:P :lol::o:D :shock: