new,confused,frustrated and ouch!

Options
suffolkgayle
suffolkgayle Member Posts: 5
edited 19. Nov 2008, 05:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi since End of July Ive beeen having joint pain Ive gone to a consultant rhumatolagist and been told that whatever I have isnt showing up on tests but it isnt rhumatoid ..."it probably is arthritis" was what he said although no official diagnosis all they will give me are anti inflamtories which really dont help much.
Frankly I'm annoyed no one seems to want to help ..its like that little britian sketch except its "test say no" every time i move my joints click so loud its embarresing and I hurt ..I really dont know what to do anymore...help please :cry:

Comments

• j0nn13
    j0nn13 Member Posts: 26
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,

Welcome to the forums and sorry you're feeling rough! Many people on here have unfortunatly had the same thing happen, myself included. There is a type of arthritis called Seronegative Arthritis. It is somewhat similar to standard rheumatoid arthritis, except that it doesn't show up as easily (or at all, in blood tests).

Your lukcy in at least your consultant is willing to admit you likely have some form of arthritis! Mine for 2 years said there was nothing they could help with and that it was gout, ostearthitis, growing pains (seriously, wtf!) and would only prescribe me non steroidal anti inflammatories.

Eventually though, as more joints were affected and showed damage on x-rays, and after a letter from the orthopaedic surgeon who was looking at my knee, they relented and diagnosed seronegative arthritis and started me on a disease modifying anti rheumatic drug, sulphasalazine and fortunately i have had great results from it.

I think you will have to keep on at your consulant, ask if its possible for them to consider trying you with a disease modifying drug. Have you had any x-rays of joints you are finding painful? If not i'd also ask for those to be done. When you have the seronegative type, its hard to make a definitive diagnosis so persistence on your part will probably help!

Good luck :)
  • suffolkgayle
    Options
    Hi yes I did have a pelvis xray and nothing showed up! I am going to have some odd little rad patches toa dermatolagist at my practice this afternoon to see if it might be psoriosis although I really dont hold out much hope as its very small..as for the drugs you are on once if tried all the ones the consultant has suggested to the gp ..if they dont help and I'm still in pain ..I will ask to be retested in the hope something shows up!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,457
    Options
    Hi Gayle
    Welcome to the forum!
    Everyone here will support you while you wait for your diagnosis :(
    I too am sorry you are in pain and worse still no decent explanation.
    Have you had a look at the info on this site from arthritis care? It tells you how many different types of arthritis there are.... and different medications which might help including ready been mentioned to you.DMARDS which have already been mentioned to you.
    Lots of people on here will tell you of long and even longer waits for diagnosis :(
    The only upside is you've started the process and now you have US :wink:
    Hopw you do feel better soon
    Yoni
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Hi Gayle, welcome to the forum.
    Like the others have said it is often many years before a diagnosis is made. However please don't feel your pains are insignificant just bacause you have not been given a name to hang it on.

Take care of yourself and continue to push for suitable care and treatment for yourself.
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    petmad wrote:
    Hi Gayle, welcome to the forum.
    Like the others have said it is often many years before a diagnosis is made. However please don't feel your pains are insignificant just bacause you have not been given a name to hang it on.

Take care of yourself and continue to push for suitable care and treatment for yourself.
    hi & welcome.i like u have the loud cracking noises in my joints.wrist,knees,neck & spine.my physio says "oh not worry its gases trapped there" but it causes me pain. my cervical xrays also didnt show any damage but im now 1 & a half inches shorter than i was a few yrs ago.i have o/a & cerical sponylosis.due for cat scan in april. wear & tear is what u get told for o/a. hope thats a help. hope u feel better soon. debs
  • ktl297
    ktl297 Member Posts: 50
    Options
    The comments people are making about clicking and cracking joints interest me because for as long as I can remember my joints get a feeling of painful pressure that can only be relieved by cracking them. As others seem to have been told I was assured by my Dr that it was gas in the joint or ligaments stretching etc and a previous Dr even told me that it didn't really hurt (how he knew how it felt I'll never work out). My Rheum Dr just dismisses it but it's a massive issue for me - anyone ever been told any different? On another note welcome to the board and keep asking questions - people here are really knowlegable and will give you loads of support. KT
  • suffolkgayle
    Options
    I just wanted to thank everyone that has replyed so far and i'm glad its not just me that clicks all the time :lol: