Monthly periods

Options
shezza
shezza Member Posts: 39
edited 20. Nov 2008, 16:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone
Im writing to see if anyone can help .....
Im 44 and have been on Diclofenac and Amitripyline for over twelve months .
For the past few (maybe about 9) months my periods have been very irregular .They are never on time and sometimes i have gone 6 or 7 weeks between them and then i have a really heavy clotty period for 10/12 days .
I have mentioned to my dr that my periods are starting to be irregular and i had a blood test to see if i was starting the menopause and that showed i wasnt .
Now im wondering if the medication is affecting my periods or is it ` another sympton of soft tissue rheumatism.
i was diagnosed as being anemic last year and was on iron tablets for six months then had a blood test and the dr decided to take me off them .That was about 12 months ago (i think).
Should i visit the dr again to mention the heavy periods with me having been anemic before?Or should i leave it because i tend to `miss` a period then am heavy.Which means im actually having two periods in one if you see how i mean?
hope to get advice soon :)
Thanks everyone
Sheila

Comments

• michelle22
    michelle22 Member Posts: 93
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I would be interested to see what people come up with as my periods are the same way I just put it down to early menopause but now I am not so sure will be watching this thread to see what others are going to say :D
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I'm not on the same medication as you and I don't find that my drugs or my RA affect my periods but I have hit the menopause, I am 50 now so it's to be expected. My periods just got lighter and lighter till they fizzled out altogether last November - but I do know that this isn't everyone's menopausal experience.

I would say with your anaemia your heavy and prolonged blood loss won't be helping so, if I were you, I would go back to the docs for further investigation - afterall it can't do any harm can it? In the meantime does it say anything on the little leaflet you get with your drugs about the side effects :?:

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • Shell
    Shell Member Posts: 45
    Options
    Hi
    Interesting topic. I have PA and Fibro and for the last year my periods have been irregular ( i have always had a period every 28 days) but for the last year my periods have been like every 7wks for a few months then 3wks for 2months thenback to 7wks and so on i thought maybe menopause but did wonder if it wa the disease. I am on 20mg MTXand recently amitrip.
    I havent mentioned this to my doc or rhemy.
    Michelle
  • shezza
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    I'm not on the same medication as you and I don't find that my drugs or my RA affect my periods but I have hit the menopause, I am 50 now so it's to be expected. My periods just got lighter and lighter till they fizzled out altogether last November - but I do know that this isn't everyone's menopausal experience.

I would say with your anaemia your heavy and prolonged blood loss won't be helping so, if I were you, I would go back to the docs for further investigation - afterall it can't do any harm can it? In the meantime does it say anything on the little leaflet you get with your drugs about the side effects :?:

Luv Legs :)

hi i have just had a look at the side effects for each medicine but i cant see anything about affecting monthly periods but then again i may have missed it :oops: .Im sure if i have missed it someone else may have read it somewhere :-)
  • coralbangle
    coralbangle Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi,
    I am on salasalazine and diclofenic and 41years old with the same problem. Every third month my period is a few days late has large clots and is very painful. Dr said it was age and just one of those things. What ages are you if you dont mind me asking :oops: ?
    To be trueful it has been dodgy the last three years but since starting the medication earlier this year the pain has increased dreadfully.

Coral
  • shezza
    Options
    Hi,
    I am on salasalazine and diclofenic and 41years old with the same problem. Every third month my period is a few days late has large clots and is very painful. Dr said it was age and just one of those things. What ages are you if you dont mind me asking :oops: ?
    To be trueful it has been dodgy the last three years but since starting the medication earlier this year the pain has increased dreadfully.

Coral
    hi Coral im 44 and also on Diclofenac and also take Amitripyline ...Maybe its the Diclofenac thats causing me the problems ...
    Sheila
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    Hi Sheila,
    Have had probs with my periods since I started at 10!! My Mum was 9 when she started hers and also had probs.
    I like you got my GP to do blood tests re: menopause and was told that I wasn't menopausal -but there is a thing called Peri menopausal (I think that's how you spell it) a medical friend told me about it and basically it's when your body is getting "ready" for the menopause.
    Not a nice time though. I've started to get hot flushes which are embarrassing but I laugh them off as "Tropical moments". Like you I am 44 and have been having the flushes since the week before my 40th birthday. They don't happen too often (as yet) but we will see. A lot of my friends think I'm too young to be going through it but apparantly it has a lot to do with when you started your periods and as I've already said I was quite young.
    Oh the joys of being a woman!!
    Kate
  • kezzo1
    kezzo1 Member Posts: 171
    Options
    im on mtx and i keep i keep bleeding twice a month at min just on injects was on tabs?????
  • shezza
    Options
    katekelly wrote:
    Hi Sheila,
    Have had probs with my periods since I started at 10!! My Mum was 9 when she started hers and also had probs.
    I like you got my GP to do blood tests re: menopause and was told that I wasn't menopausal -but there is a thing called Peri menopausal (I think that's how you spell it) a medical friend told me about it and basically it's when your body is getting "ready" for the menopause.
    Not a nice time though. I've started to get hot flushes which are embarrassing but I laugh them off as "Tropical moments". Like you I am 44 and have been having the flushes since the week before my 40th birthday. They don't happen too often (as yet) but we will see. A lot of my friends think I'm too young to be going through it but apparantly it has a lot to do with when you started your periods and as I've already said I was quite young.
    Oh the joys of being a woman!!
    Kate
    hi Kate
    that is another thing i will have to consider i was 10 too when i had my first period.
  • rosiepurves
    rosiepurves Member Posts: 18
    Options
    i take diclofenic 3 times a day and have been for 4 mths ish and my periods have been so heavy and clotting and i'm in agony. i can assure you im not going throug menopause as im 23
  • Shell
    Shell Member Posts: 45
    Options
    Hi
    I am 41 or should i say 42 nxt month. I am not on declofenac so that rules out that one for me i am on mtx and amitrip but only been on amitrip for 2 months so it isnt that either maybe its mtx or arthur? just a thought
    Michelle
  • garagefluffy
    garagefluffy Member Posts: 15
    Options
    hi all

I am sure its a combination of mtx and arthur. They offered to whip mine out 2 months ago but I declined as worried it would upset arthur more.

Soooooooo I am having endometrial ablation therapy :shock: :shock: in January to hopefully stop mega periods. (have shares in things with wings)

This is Jax, 44 , non menopausal, reporting from hormone city.
  • luckybug
    luckybug Member Posts: 205
    Options
    I never had regular periods all my life, when I was in my 30s I decided to see a GP as I wanted to start a family, anyway they found out I was not ovulating probably down to all the meds I was on, so I went on Clomid, and now I am pretty regular, still occassionally miss, usually when the arthritis is really bad, but I have noticed that now I get pain in my replacement elbow joint and hand when I am due on, yet I never ever suffered from period pain in my life, and when I do start I feel great, it's like a great release off my bones, I'm 43 but never did have kids or a pregnancy. Mind you finding a man might help. lol