Happy to be here

Options
vickid
vickid Member Posts: 12
edited 19. Nov 2008, 11:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
My name is Vicki, I am 20 years old and currently studying psychology and forensic science in manchester.
I have recently been diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis after spending the entire summer swollen and in complete agony.

I am amazed that I have found this forum, everyone seems so supportive and great. I wish I had found it earlier to discuss my medication - I had a choice between methotrexate and sulphasalazine, I chose the latter in the end. Has anyone got any experiences with either of these drugs? Also I am now taking diclofenac over ibuprofen retard, was that a good move? :?

Everything has calmed down at the moment as I had fluid drained from my knee and steroid injections in my knee, elbow and middle finger which wasn't pleasant at the time but well worth it. Plus it should last up to six weeks :D

I have heard bits of information about how diet can control flare ups, can anyone tell me anything about this?

Thanks for being here.
V

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Vicki and welcome to the forum. :D

I only found this site this year and yet I've had RA for 22 years and believe me I wish I'd found it years and years ago.

I had Sulphasalzine in the past till my Rheumy decided it wasn't doing me any good but unlike today it was given to me in small daaily doses. I'm now on Methotrexate tablets, a small dose of 10mg a week, side affects at first were a bit grim with vommitting and headaches but they have gone now. I'm responding to Mtx very well and would feel heartbroken if, for some reason, I had to stop taking it - it's my lifeline!! All Dmards (Mtx, Sulpha, etc) take some months to get into your system so give Sulpha a fair trial.

I did try a special diet (Dr Dong's) which cut out red meats as well as many acidic foods and was high in fish intake, many years ago but all I did was lose alot of weight (went to below 7stone :shock: ) and didn't realise how bad I felt sticking to it till I started eating normally again. It didn't work for me but I know others on here find certain foods do affect them.

Anything you need to know, just ask, as you will find a large cross section of helpful advice here.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options
    Hello Vicki
    and welcome to the site!!
    You are right you have found a great forun here full of great people with great advice!
    The exact same thing happened to me this summer too!!! Well end of may this year - twas awful. Luckily I found this site as I was soooo frightened and cried all day every day for at least a week!!!
    I am on Plaquenil amd amytriptilyne and co-codamol and arcoxia(a nsaid like diclo, but a new one - not supposed to upset stomach, but might do something to your heart!!!).
    I would think you were wise to try sulpha first because mtx seems to cause more side effects. You can always try it later if needs be.
    Anyway take care
    Toni x
  • debsmartin
    debsmartin Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Hello Vicky

I echo all the other messages you have found a great forum it has really helped me, I currently take Methotrexate (8 tabs a week) and naproxen didn't think either were helping but then a few months ago I had some fluid drained off my knee and a couple of steroid injections when suddenly everything just seemed a bit better. I still get the odd flare up but thankfully my new tens machine seems to help them.

Debs
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Welcome to the forum, lots of us are new.