Hi newbie here !

Options
sueandted
sueandted Member Posts: 40
edited 19. Nov 2008, 12:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone , I've got OA in my right knee and ankle after shattering my leg in a RTA in 1988 , Im having an ankle fusion done in January which Im a bit nervous about but I can't live and work a normal life without popping painkillers ( and even then I'm still in a lot of pain :cry: ), so this is my best option, I think , anyone had it done , and what was the recovery time and outcome of the op :?:

Comments

• mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    sueandted wrote:
    Hi everyone , I've got OA in my right knee and ankle after shattering my leg in a RTA in 1988 , Im having an ankle fusion done in January which Im a bit nervous about but I can't live and work a normal life without popping painkillers ( and even then I'm still in a lot of pain :cry: ), so this is my best option, I think , anyone had it done , and what was the recovery time and outcome of the op :?:
    hi welcome to the site, i have o/a too,cant advise on op. but u'll find loads of peeps here that can. or read through old threads loads of advice.best of luck debs
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,457
    Options
    Hi Sue
    I can't help either, but I just want to welcome you!
    This is a great, supportive and friendly forum.
    There will be more people who have had the op in addition to the advice you've already had.
    Take care
    Toni x
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Welcome to the forum, I also have OA I am waiting a surgery on my neck, like you my 1st experience with surgery.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Sue and welcome,

I have RA and my ankle fused itself, fortunately in a good position for walking. I do still get pain in my ankle when I overdo things but I think this is because I still have a jot of movement in it .

The only thing I find difficult are slopes, uphill is fine but when coming down I'm unable to place my foot flat on the ground so I don't always feel safe as I'm walking on my heel. :? Argueably a stick would come in handy here or I could use whoevers arms available at the time for support but if neither are at hand and the slope is quite steep I resort to walking sideways like a crab :wink: - it doesn't do your street cred any good but at least it saves you from the fear of falling over :D

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'