Refused an Op / then felt youv'e made a mistake ?

Options
dianel
dianel Member Posts: 48
edited 19. Nov 2008, 15:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Alan,

Yes, I refused a resurfacing operation on my shoulder and am now told that I would need a total replacement if I decided to have one. In my case there are complications over medication regarding this that I don't need to go into.

I'm not beating myself up about it. I'm a great believer in going with one's feelings and intuition, and I also think it's necessary to go into any sort of surgery with the feeling that it's right for you and with an optimistic attitude. At the time I was very shocked to be told I needed surgery - this was after two years of messing around without a correct diagnosis. I didn't feel I'd done enough research with other people who'd had the same operation for one thing because we all know these things can be very successful but also very unsuccessful.

I'm still in a quandary about the whole thing, and am mostly using alternative pain relief. However, presumably you can be put on the list again if you feel you made a mistake? Best wishes, Diane.

Comments

• petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    As with others in the forum I plodded on for years with no diagnosis. I am waiting for a 'must have' op to remove disc and oesteophyte at C5/6. I can't wait as have had a year of constant pain and huge amounts of medication.

Recently my other joints have deteriorated significantly and led me to consider the possibility of requiring further surgeries. I know I will not be keen, however would also fear to be in your situation.
    I hope you find a resolve to your situation, I am sure if you wish it they will offer you surgery again.
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    yes, i have refused surgery. This was because i hadnt heard of the procedure so went to read up on it and
    1. didnt seem much benefit after several years whether had op or not
    2. spoke with gp and she had patient who had same op and gone wrong!
    3. if i cant walk at all,might consider it....
    until then, will have to put up with it!