Mother in pain

Options
katrinaone
katrinaone Member Posts: 2
edited 20. Nov 2008, 08:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello to everyone, I thought I would write a few lines about my mum.
She is in terrible pain with O/A in her spine, hips and knee. Has been unable to go out since July. At times she cry's with the pain.
I feel for her so much as she was a person who loved to go out every day.
Physiotherapist has been coming in twice a week for the past two weeks doing ultra sound on mums lower back. I'm sure it is not helping the pain. You see this is the problem, trying to kill the pain for a while. On co-proxamol 8 a day, not killing the pain, only makes her constipated which adds to the problem, the codeine based painkillers make her sick. Her GP seems to be at a loss as what to give her.
I am not sure I can ask this question, but I will ask anyway.
Does anyone know of a painkiller I can ask her GP about.

Thank you to all who takes the time to read this and I do hope someone can help.

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the forum,

It will probably be the codeine in your Mum's co-proxamol making her constipated as it is one of the side effects.

You could try looking at the posting on 'Who we are' at the top of the main page because where many people have introduced themselves they often list the drugs they're on. Has your Mum asked the GP about good old paracetamol, this can be very effective but obviously it's very important to stick to the doseage guidelines. If the codeine makes her sick I wonder why the GP hasn't tried an asprin based drug. It soulds as though he/she's doing something to help if the physio is coming round. Is ultra sound the same as a tens machine - I know some of the people on here swear by those.

Sorry I can't be any more help than that - maybe others will be able to advise you better than I can.

Hope your Mum gets some relief soon.

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • annalisa
    annalisa Member Posts: 21
    Options
    hi has your mum seen a specielist i have had both my hips replaced and aknee and waiting to have other one done i to am sick with co prox and others the only one that works for me is arcoxia a lot of docs dont like you having it but if you are healthy apart from arth they give it to you you must get your mums doctor to sort something out for her annalisa
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    HI Katrina
    Have you tried the old stalwart - the wheaty? It has always helped me a tidge with my back - just makes it a little less painfull and seems to take the 'spasm' out of it. If this helps then the 'curaheat' hot patches you can buy could enable her to get out again.
    There are loads of painkillers out there, but you need to check with GP as Mum might have other conditions (like heart probs)that we don't know about.
    Basically there are painkilers like codeine, paracetamol etc and then anti-inflamatories which will reduce inflamation too.
    GP will tell you what she can have if you could try to be there with her when she sees him/her.
    You can buy/hire tens machines too which use electrical impulses (Ithink!) to numb the pain signal to the brain.
    There are also creams and gels which can be really helpful if you or someone else is able to rub them in - again I would still check with GP incase of other health probs.
    Hope you do get something sorted for her. She will be feeling miserable and you sound like a lovely caring daughter to try so hard for her :)
    Take care
    Toni x