Hello

Options
lancashirelass
lancashirelass Member Posts: 4
edited 21. Nov 2008, 05:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
I just joined and want to say Hello to everyone :P

I was diagnosed as having cervical spondy in my early 30's.Was involved in a car accident whilst on my way to work 6 yrs ago, since then I now have oa in my spine, knee, hip and feet. Take Tramadol on really bad day's. Also find it difficult to talk about as I have always been very active and I'm having trouble coming to terms with not only pain and stiffness but being slower and less active. The worst time is on bad day's and the family are doing things for me, I am not used to it and this makes me feel guilty....Jackiexx

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Tackie
    WELCOME to this lovely site!
    If anything can make you feel a bit better it's everyone on here.
    So sorry to hear you are in such pain - and that your mobility is being affected too.
    Have you got good DR support? Sounds like the family are supportive for definite...if they are helping you! Had to have back surgery 5 years ago (all sorted now apart from some residual pain) and vividly remember my then 8 year old daughter helping me on with my knickers and socks etc and in and out of the bath!
    Recently with the onset of this I have needed help again - this time at 13 - she is not so kean to help!!! Not suprised have only got wrinklier!!!
    Anyway Jackie you're always sure of w elcome here and good advice from others who know like yourself :)
    Toni x
  • debsmartin
    debsmartin Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Hello Jackie and welcome this site has been a great find for me everybody is so supportive. I think not be able to get about as well as being in pain takes so much getting use to but my family now realise that I only ask for help when I need it and they were horrified when I said I felt guilty asking them for help - so keep talking and asking for help.
    debs
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Jackie and welcome to the forum,

This is a massive thing to come to terms with and it will take some time.

I've felt like an old woman since I was 27 so by the time I get a pension I'll feel it's well overdue. :wink: My sons and husband have been doing things for me for 22 years now and it's just become part of our lives.

You will have good spells and possibly do many of the active things you used to so please don't think this is the end of the world it's just another way of approaching life. If you have difficulty verbally discussing things don't forget we're all here and we know exactly how you feel as we've all been there and some people are experiencing just what you are now so come and type to us, the forum's always open.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • lancashirelass
    Options
    Thanks for your warm welcomes really appreciated. My children have all flown the nest but when they visit make such a fuss, I know they mean well and are so loving, it's just that I have always been so independent.

My mother who is 86 is riddled with arthritis, also has a prolapse, high blood pressure diabetes (injects herself)cataracts ( had one removed) water retention high cholesterol and brittle bones, so I think she has enough to contend with without listening to my aches and pains. She still has a good sense of humour though :P

So glad I found this site as I am scared of what lies ahead but cant tell my family or friends and reading peoples posts on here is giving me a better understanding of the condition, also have been having a chuckle at some of the posts in the chit chat section :lol:
    Thanks again Jackiexx
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    Thanks for your warm welcomes really appreciated. My children have all flown the nest but when they visit make such a fuss, I know they mean well and are so loving, it's just that I have always been so independent.

My mother who is 86 is riddled with arthritis, also has a prolapse, high blood pressure diabetes (injects herself)cataracts ( had one removed) water retention high cholesterol and brittle bones, so I think she has enough to contend with without listening to my aches and pains. She still has a good sense of humour though :P

So glad I found this site as I am scared of what lies ahead but cant tell my family or friends and reading peoples posts on here is giving me a better understanding of the condition, also have been having a chuckle at some of the posts in the chit chat section :lol:
    Thanks again Jackiexx
    hi, as all said before great site to be on, i too have cervical spon, & o/ diagnosed aug 08 so i know exactly how you feel.whether you what to moan,feel sorry for urself or just for reasurance ur in the right place. the humour on chit chat lately has had me in stitches, look forward to seeing u post.debs
  • luckybug
    luckybug Member Posts: 205
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Tackie
    So sorry to hear you are in such pain - and that your mobility is being affected too.
    Have you got good DR support? Sounds like the family are supportive for definite...if they are helping you! Had to have back surgery 5 years ago (all sorted now apart from some residual pain) and vividly remember my then 8 year old daughter helping me on with my knickers and socks etc and in and out of the bath!
    Recently with the onset of this I have needed help again - this time at 13 - she is not so kean to help!!! Not suprised have only got wrinklier!!!
    Anyway Jackie you're always sure of w elcome here and good advice from others who know like yourself :)
    Toni x

I know how you feel..... I cant get my knickers up either, and my 14 year old neice and 12 year old nephew help me all the time, and 10 out of 10 to them they don't moan.....usually. Although the little lad showed me up other day at the swimming pool when I shouted him out of it when I wanted to go get changed, he shouted I'm not pulling your knickers up again right across the pool, :oops: :oops: I could have swung for him.... lol kids eh!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    luckybug wrote:
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Tackie
    Toni x

I know how you feel..... I cant get my knickers up either, and my 14 year old neice and 12 year old nephew help me all the time, and 10 out of 10 to them they don't moan.....usually. Although the little lad showed me up other day at the swimming pool when I shouted him out of it when I wanted to go get changed, he shouted I'm not pulling your knickers up again right across the pool, :oops: :oops: I could have swung for him.... lol kids eh!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
    hi, ur on the right lines for humour,its the only thing that keeps me going.debs
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    luckybug wrote:
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Tackie
    Toni x

He he! Reminded me of the time we were havinga pub lunch and my eldest, then about21/2 shouted really loudly "are you going for a poo, Mummy's going for a poo" when I got up to go for a wee!!!
    Toni x
  • lancashirelass
    Options
    Been having a look at old posts and even though it has its serious and informative side you all still manage to balance it with a good laugh :lol: , you are an inspiration to others..Jackie xx