Ring Problems

Options
debsmartin
debsmartin Member Posts: 209
edited 1. Dec 2008, 10:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All

Just wondered if anyone else had problems with wearing rings, since getting RA my knuckles have been quite swelled and I can't get my wedding ring on - this is my 2nd ring with trying to keep up with swelling fingers - just wondered if anyone had any solutions have been trying to find an expanding ring or one with a cut out but have had no luck so any help will be appreciated I hate not wearing my wedding ring.

debs

Comments

• shezza
    shezza Member Posts: 39
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    debsmartin wrote:
    Hi All

Just wondered if anyone else had problems with wearing rings, since getting RA my knuckles have been quite swelled and I can't get my wedding ring on - this is my 2nd ring with trying to keep up with swelling fingers - just wondered if anyone had any solutions have been trying to find an expanding ring or one with a cut out but have had no luck so any help will be appreciated I hate not wearing my wedding ring.

debs
    Hi all i can suggest is to get a very very strong chain and wear it around your neck ...not ideal situation but at least its still near you .
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Right from the start of my RA my finger joints swelled beyond recognition and never went back into shape and have got more and more deformed as my disease progressed. At one time my GP wanted me to have my wedding ring cut off :shock: but he said my finger was still warm and the circulation was good so he would leave it unless it caused me problems. My hands are so deformed that I couldn't remove the ring normally, even if I wanted to, and I would be very upset if it had to be removed but I think that's more down to superstition. :roll:

If I ever have to have it cut off I've decided I would wear a bangle or bracelet on my left wrist instead and as long as my husband puts it on for me for the first time it would mean just as much. It wouldn't matter if the world doesn't know it's a wedding bangle I would know the meaning and love behind it. Maybe we could all start a new trend :?: :D

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • loz23mcg
    loz23mcg Member Posts: 6
    Options
    jasperalty wrote:
    Hi, having lost alot of weight due partly to the MXT, I have the reverse problem my wedding ring is now too big for me, I daren't wear it in case it falls off, my hubby has offered me a new one but I would want it blessed, hubby was nervous on our wedding day and is loathe to do it again, I must adopt wearing it on a chain so thanks for the suggestion love Katxxx

Hi Kat,
    There are jewellers out there that can resize rings, so that could be an option. I've had some of mine done by my favourite jewellery shop in Brighton and they always come back so clean and shiny they look brand new!
  • tracys
    tracys Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi All
    Since getting RA I have had my wedding ring resized twice, worn my husbands ring and got other rings and now dont wear one at all - i have tried on hundreds of rings but cannot get any that feel comfortable so for now I just leave it alone maybe one day I can wear it again- it is annoying though as other rings I used to wear are exactly the same! I know people give me funny looks when I talk about my husband and they notice i dont wear my ring but i dont care what they think anymore ! I know there are silver ring splint things but im not sure if they are anything that i would want to wear anyone know?
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    I wear my three rings on a gold chain round my neck.

It's not ideal but it beats the constant putting on and taking off as my fingers change shape from hour to hour!

My hubby doesn't mind and to be honest i don't care any more what anyone else thinks!
  • kezzo1
    kezzo1 Member Posts: 171
    Options
    my fingers swell and i cant always wear my rings :cry: i love to wear themi never used to take them off for months lol.
  • debsmartin
    Options
    Hi thanks for all your replies, I think its a shame that somebody hasn't made a ring that is adjustable. I will still keep looking as I hate not wearing my rings.

debs
  • hels78
    hels78 Member Posts: 60
    Options
    I had a similar problem. My original wedding ring no longer fitted so go a second, that doesn't now so eventually I got one from Argos, 9ct gold thin wedding band £12.99 - they go up to size Z I think and fits like a dream. I too hated not wearing a ring and although it isn't my proper one at least I can show off that I have a lovely hubbie. Hope that helps.
  • debsmartin
    Options
    hels78 wrote:
    I had a similar problem. My original wedding ring no longer fitted so go a second, that doesn't now so eventually I got one from Argos, 9ct gold thin wedding band £12.99 - they go up to size Z I think and fits like a dream. I too hated not wearing a ring and although it isn't my proper one at least I can show off that I have a lovely hubbie. Hope that helps.

Thanks for that - I'm off to Argos at that price its worth getting.

debs
  • hels78
    hels78 Member Posts: 60
    Options
    Glad to be of help x
  • annic4363
    annic4363 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    debsmartin wrote:
    Hi All

debs

me too! I never take my wedding ring off so I think it is now a permanent fixture. However, I can get either my engagement or eternity rings on on bad days which I hate. My lovely husband gave me lovely rings and I hate not wearing them.

One of the many crosses we bear I guess

Chat soon

Annie

x x x
  • debsmartin
    Options
    annic4363 wrote:
    debsmartin wrote:
    Hi All

debs

me too! I never take my wedding ring off so I think it is now a permanent fixture. However, I can get either my engagement or eternity rings on on bad days which I hate. My lovely husband gave me lovely rings and I hate not wearing them.

One of the many crosses we bear I guess

Chat soon

Annie

x x x

Thanks Annie I think thats where I went wrong I should have just left my ring on as the bottom part of the finger doesn't seem to swell so I would have probably been alright - I can't even force it over my lumpy knuckle now - lets hope I have more luck with my cheapy Argos ring

debs
  • slummymummy
    slummymummy Member Posts: 69
    Options
    Thanks for posting this topic. I think that it is a really important one. The other evening I was sat on the sofa next to my dear husband, thinking about the eternity ring which he gave me for our 5 year wedding anniversary, by a river in Bruge. It is white-gold and has diamonds all around. I took it off a few months ago when arthur started getting bad, and haven't dared try to put it back on yet. As I was thinking about my ring and what it means to me, tears started welling up in my eyes. It just feels like you've been robbed of something very special. I tried to explain to him but he didn't get it. I could get it made bigger, but then if the swelling is down, it would fall off. Luckilly my wedding ring still fits as that finger has been OK, so far. I will go for the chain option, if I have to take it off in the future.

x
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    hi i had to have my ring cut of earler this year although possibly down to a bug bite , as it was like a ballon in minets went to hospital in early hours and wow what a butcher had too, cut in to both sides of ring took 45 minets from first attempt finger was so sore for days ring was unidentifiable or it might have been possible to have it repaired and made bigger at same time , so please if you need it doing sooner than later .. xx{may}
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx