replacement knee??????

Options
mouseymousey
mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
edited 26. Nov 2008, 16:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
‘Hello, I would like to ask your opinions please and the catch is I don’t have much time!!
Here goes. I am due to get a new knee at the end of the week, after waiting some time. I've had to put it off twice before.
Now that it has come I am suddenly full of doubts. I’m not scared of the op its not that. I’m trying to rationalise it – please help.
I am 48, so it may need another knee in the future. The pain is bad, I am not very mobile, but, I do manage – I’ve had an arthoscopy in the past which hasn’t ‘worked’. I’m sort of thinking do I really need this? I have arthritis in major joints so its not as if it will all go away? I really would welcome your experiences – positive and negative
Many thanks

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    ‘Hello, I would like to ask your opinions please and the catch is I don’t have much time!!
    Here goes. I am due to get a new knee at the end of the week, after waiting some time. I've had to put it off twice before.
    Now that it has come I am suddenly full of doubts. I’m not scared of the op its not that. I’m trying to rationalise it – please help.
    I am 48, so it may need another knee in the future. The pain is bad, I am not very mobile, but, I do manage – I’ve had an arthoscopy in the past which hasn’t ‘worked’. I’m sort of thinking do I really need this? I have arthritis in major joints so its not as if it will all go away? I really would welcome your experiences – positive and negative
    Many thanks
    Hi, I'm lucky so far and don't have knee problems, but I worked with someone (a care assistant, so heavy workload), and she had both knees replaced. Off work for a while but came back and was able to carry on as normal. The very best of luck to you, I'm sure you'll be fine. I think it must be normal to have doubts and worries, I know I would. Best wishes Sue xx
  • greyheron
    greyheron Member Posts: 167
    Options
    Hi! I've just come back to the forum having had a knee replacement on Nov 5th.

It's very natural to have doubts, I certainly did, but what I can say is that although I'm still in the recovery period I'm really glad I've had it done and feel very optimistic about the future.

If you do go ahead, try to stay positive, do your exercises and keep us posted on what happens!

All the best

Wendy
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Wendy and I have had a tkr and it went well for both us. I have no regrets and I get the impression Wendy has not either.

It will not get better that is all I knew. Mine was wear and tear and stopping me getting on with my life. I was on the maximum strong painkillers and anti inflams daily. Now no meds and only very seldom a little pain to remind me that I had the op. I can certainly live with that.

Good luck,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • mrsdalloway
    mrsdalloway Member Posts: 161
    Options
    Hi I had tkr in 2006 and it was wonderful well as wonderful as someone rearranging your leg can be! I was in horrific pain for 18 months before they replaced mine I couldn't sleep properly as it used to come out of place in the night. The replacement went well but because they had left me so long it doesn't bend the full range and I still have to come downstairs sideways but there is no pain. So please don't worry you get lots of free drugs and the pain will go away. Good luck!
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Options
    Hello - Sorry I haven't been here for a while - my partner gets a new knee tomorrow so it has been a little hectic for us. My knee op is now Mid December and yes, I do want to go ahead. my hope is that it may sort out my walking which is terrible and I'm sure contributes to my bad back (in bed again). I have arthritis in the spine too. Thank you so much for your replies - all appreciated..
    Mxx