Another rheumy visit Rant!

Options
jeannie2
jeannie2 Member Posts: 135
edited 22. Nov 2008, 07:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,
Haven't been on the site for a while - have been feeling a bit rotten ... never mind!

They’ve put me on Azathioprine (Imuran) and I decided I’ve had enough of politely waiting for them to keep me informed and take charge of my care. So, before I went I made a spreadsheet of how I’d been feeling this last week, what dose I was on, foods I’d eaten and all sorts of other details. I also made a long list of all the questions I’ve every wanted to ask – I’ve seen nobody except my GP for 6 months. I gave the rheumy nurse a copy as well and demanded the answers to all of them and a few more besides, eg. what was the result of the ECG I had 6 months ago. (The consultant, when asked months ago, gave me the impression that he thought it was no business of mine!!) To be fair I could have done without knowing the answer! However, I told her that my way of dealing with things is to look at the worst possible situation, resolve all the problems of that scenario or face up to them. So that if things don't sink to the blackest level, then I have no problem in dealing with lesser things. I made her discuss all the issues with me, take a blood test, check my BP. It took 45 minutes and I felt a bit bad about keeping another lady waiting but I'm glad I feel a little more informed.

I also told her, very sweetly, that her boss (the consultant) talks to me like a 5-year old and I don't like it. I also told her that should the department's computer go caput then I could go along the corridor and fix it ... because that was my profession. I haven't always been a grey-haired old lady; I did have a career, before I retired - it was just different than theirs. She can now go an tell him (it will save me doing it) and perhaps he will talk 'to' me instead of 'at' me in future.

Why can't they smile and be nice? It would make their lives so much easier and I'd be putty in their hands and just do everything they want! As you all say - nobody seems to care how we feel or what pain we suffer.

Legs ... sounds like you've got a good guy there .... are there any houses for sale in you area???? :lol:

Hope you'll all have a good night's sleep and a good day tomorrow.
Jeannie
ps OMG I didn't mean it to be that long .... sori!!

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jeannie!
    WOW! Go you!!!
    Didn't you just do what 90% of us have always wanted to?!
    Well done girl!
    I don't think anyone will see you the same again - ever! :shock:
    I bet you feel great - I do feel a bit like if I needed I coul;d do something similar...how's that for empowerment?!
    Well done again
    Toni (I hope the ECG result was ok)x
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jeannie,

Yes, he is just great. He's the 4th consultant I've known in my arthritic life. His predesessor was absolutely gorgegeous and had a wonderful bedside manner making you feel as if you were the only woman on the planet - you know the sort of man who you feel you ought to have your nicest bra on just in case he needs to examine you :shock: At my age I should be ashamed of myself :oops: :oops:

But for all this he wasn't as good as my present consultant and I'll never quite forgive him for discharging me because he was moving on. :x

The lovely guy I have now is alot older, but he is so thorough, I happened to mention my ankle was swollen and he scanned it there and then. He saw me struggling to get up from a chair and he decided I needed bloods taking for Vitamin D shortage and another for thyroid problems as they both cause muscle weakness. He's arranged a bone density scan because my Mum has Oestoporosis (sorry don't know how to spell it). He discusses my treatment with me and goes through all the pros and cons and he shows an interest in books I'm reading and tells me about ones he's read. All in all he treats me as a person and nobody minds when his clinics run late because he's worth waiting to see. :D

I know I'm lucky to have him and have told him so. I don't look forward to when he retires but for the moment I'm enjoying his expertise.

There are some houses for sale here or I could ask if any of my neighbours would like a lodger in their spare room if you like :lol::lol: I'd offer you digs in my house but I don't think my husband and sons could cope with another arthritic like me :wink:

Take care.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'