Acupuncture

sweetpea
sweetpea Member Posts: 22
edited 26. Nov 2008, 14:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just wondered if anyone has tried acupuncture to help with their symptoms and flares? Am currently on sulfasalazine and diclofenac for PA and we have been trying to conceive for 1 1/2 years but have been having a really bad flare up since June and am not getting much relief from the meds and steroid injections. Am hoping that acupuncture may help with the pain and swelling especially in my hands and wondered if it has helped anyone else. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• fishyface
    fishyface Member Posts: 22
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Yes I have had lots of accupuncture and truly believe it works and has an ongoing benefit to arthritis.
    I recommend finding one that also practices Chinese medicine. I think they'll help with the conceiving side also. Do you have HSA insurance or similar as they cover a lot of the costs.
    Ask your rheumy nurse if they have any recommendatons that give discounts. My local area Sussex has a group of alternative therapists who halve the fee for arthritis suffereres. Saying that you have to find one you trust feel so comfy with as it'svery personal leting someone at your body with needles also how they asses you ie,look at tongue, ask diet body functions stuff tells them so much.
    Highly recommend Accupuncture as a whole body/mind treatment. pm me if you like, bestwishes
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Sweetpea
    What great and full answer from fishy. No need for me to add to that :)
    Just please let us know how you get on I would honestly be really interested.
    Thanks
    Toni x
  • dianel
    dianel Member Posts: 48
    Hi,
    Just wanted to reiterate what fishy has said - especially the bit about seeing a Chinese trained acupuncturist. I've had treatment from both a Chinese trained therapist and a course from the Doctors' surgery. There was no comparison - one worked (chinese trained) the other didn't and in fact was quite painful to receive. Good luck with it. Diane.
  • scorpiojackie
    scorpiojackie Member Posts: 38
    Hi,

Just wanted to say that acupuncture is sometimes available on the nhs. I was lucky that my local 'cottage' hospital accommodates this... I was totally unaware that the HS believed in such treatments. Apparently it can be quite helpful when dealing with pain for some people.

My experience was unfortunately forced to end after only two sessions because of other health probs at the time(nothing to do with the acupuncture) it was ashame as I was interested to see if it would help me at the time. Also desperate not to take in anymore chemicals :roll:

The physio who gave my treatment was fully qualified and knowledgeable in the 'art' & procedure given. It wasn't uncomfortable to receive, very relaxing & new sterile needles are used every time. I will definitely try it again, sometime.

Apparently Western & Chinese medicine believe in different reasons as to how & why the acupuncture works... but as 'they' both agree it can work, I thought it was worth a try!

Jackie
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Hi sweetpea, I have had acupuncture twice on the NHS, both sets of sessions from the physiotherapists. I have to say I started out as a disbeliever, however am now comited. Saddly the second time it did not work, indeed was called to a halt as it made my pain worse, however this was due to nerve injury rather than the acupuncture being no good.
  • eilean1
    eilean1 Member Posts: 12
    sweetpea wrote:
    Just wondered if anyone has tried acupuncture to help with their symptoms and flares? Am currently on sulfasalazine and diclofenac for PA and we have been trying to conceive for 1 1/2 years but have been having a really bad flare up since June and am not getting much relief from the meds and steroid injections. Am hoping that acupuncture may help with the pain and swelling especially in my hands and wondered if it has helped anyone else. Thanks for reading.
    <eilian1>
    As a new arthritic sufferer I am still undecided about acupuncture as my GP wasn't exactly encouraging. My pain is terrible, first time round, and I am all mixed up with medications, what to take at one time, analgesics or/and anti-inflammatory and very unimpressed with the advice I have had from the hospital, X-Ray results, proper diagnosis. You name it. It is a nightmare. Thank goodness I found this site and I am not the only poor crittur!
    But I bought an excellent book on acupresure which is the same as acupuncture, all the pressure points marked, etc. but you DIY instead of with needles. I have found a huge amount of relief in my hands and arms just by following the exercises rigidly. Having said that I would guess that the amount of reilef you'd get from professional 'needling' would be much longer lasting and obviously reach parts which my untrained fingers can't reach or understand.
    Let me know if you'd like the name of the book. It is in a spare bedroom at the moment where a weekend guest is asleep.

<eilean>
  • sweetpea
    sweetpea Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for all your really helpful replies. I didn't realise there was a difference between the training and am definitely going to look for a therapist who who has been trained in Chinese acupuncture. I think the major obstacle will be the ongoing cost of the treatment but after your advice will ask my rheumy nurse if she can recommend a therapist-hopefully with a discount! My consultant is wanting me to be assessed for the biologic drugs (humira I think) but am going to give acupuncture a go before I make any decisions as I really want to hold off going on more drugs especially with the issues of conceiving. Many thanks for your responses...will let you know how it goes...here's hoping for a result! :D