I'm confused!

Options
magenta
magenta Member Posts: 1,604
edited 24. Nov 2008, 18:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,
As some of you may know, I was recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the jaw (by a dentist). One dentist said I had 'wear and tear' in both right and left jaw joints. Another dentist said I had spectacular osteoarthritis in both sides of jaw and that I had several erosions in jaw bone. I read some posts from a few months back and hence the confusion-do you get erosions with OA or RA (or both)? Also, I've heard RA can be a symmetrical disease but is OA?
Magenta x

PS I have googled 'erosions and OA' and there are mentions of 'Erosive OA'? Anyone heard of this?

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Magenta
    Dunno much about this, but it all sounds like it could be the same - jut diferrent words for the same thing?
    Someone out there will know I'm sure.
    I DID think that RA was symetrical (but in a sense you have both with the seroneg :?
    Wait for the others to answer....
    Toni x
  • magenta
    Options
    Hi Scottishlass,
    Again I'm confused. I seen my xray and I'm sure the erosions are in my jaw bone! Can you get OA and arthur (in my case sero-ve) in same joint? I thought too that dentists would deal with my OA but they're not, only my Tempero thingy. Thanks,
    Magenta x
  • claregood1
    claregood1 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi Magenta. Yes you can get both sorts in one joint. I only know this as I have had RA (although they're now calling it sero-neg) in my knee for 36 years which has now caused OA. I now need a new knee as a result. I'm having this done on Tuesday so wish me luck!

To be honest I too find the whole naming of what I've got very confusing. They seem to have changed their minds several times over the years, yet treatment seems to be the same whatever. I therefore conclude that it realy doesn't matter what they call it! I guess I feel a bit jaded by it all after all these years though and if I was diagnosed now I'd be a bit more keen to know exactly what is wrong.

Take care
    Clare
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi Clare
    GOOD luck for tuesday.
    We will think of you...and wait for you to log-on again very soon with some good news abour how you are doing.
    Take care
    Toni x
  • magenta
    Options
    claregood1 wrote:
    Hi Magenta. Yes you can get both sorts in one joint. I only know this as I have had RA (although they're now calling it sero-neg) in my knee for 36 years which has now caused OA. I now need a new knee as a result. I'm having this done on Tuesday so wish me luck!

To be honest I too find the whole naming of what I've got very confusing. They seem to have changed their minds several times over the years, yet treatment seems to be the same whatever. I therefore conclude that it realy doesn't matter what they call it! I guess I feel a bit jaded by it all after all these years though and if I was diagnosed now I'd be a bit more keen to know exactly what is wrong.

Take care
    Clare

Hi Clare, thanks for the reply :) I don't where I am at the moment with all this. I've not had any real treatment for my arthritis, always assumed it was because I was sero-ve. I'm angry at nhs cos I feel if they had put me on some kind of disease modifying drug then I might not be in this predicament now.
    Best of luck for Tuesday, I'll be thinking of you, take care and let us know how it all goes for you :wink:
    Magenta x
  • magenta
    Options
    Hi Scottishlass,
    It's only through reading posts on here that I've heard other people with sero-ve arthur being put on DMARDs. Only once did rhuemys want to start me on sulpha but that was when I wanted to start a family. That was when rhuemys told me I would be sterile whilst on it :? Needless to say I told them no. I've not had bloods taken for over a year cos they assume they'll not have changed :shock: I can't recall ever having CRP's done and only once did ESR come back slightly raised! I'm worried that I don't ask right questions or answer their questions correctly. I've prepared a wee list to take to rhuemy appt. tomorrow so that hopefully will help things along. I'll no doubt be posting on here tomorrow with loads of other questions :lol:
    Thanks,
    Magenta x
  • magenta
    Options
    good luck with your appointment tomorrow...or is that today now(i lose track of time on here :lol: )
    hope the appointment goes well,and maybe you could add "ask for inflammatory markers and repeat rheumatoid factor tests " to your list :wink:
    im off to bed now,will catch up tomorrow,G;nite x

Hi Scottishlass,
    You've maybe seen my post 'Update" and that my appt. went well. I never seen your post til about 30mins ago! They took loads of blood but I never even asked about CRP's or inflam. markers!! I think I was too gobsmacked at how nice they all were-I'm not used to it :D
    Magenta x