Rituximab

Options
joanne6658
joanne6658 Member Posts: 17
edited 3. Jun 2009, 18:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm just wondering if anyone can give me any advice on Rituximab infusions please?

I had my 2nd infusion on Wednesday (4 weeks after my original one due to developing a chest infection) I had the usual dose of steroids beforehand and then the IV.

Since then I can honestly say that I've not really felt better, I felt ok on Thursday but since then I've just had the usual pain and stiffness.

I am probably being silly here but I really was expecting to feel 100% better and I probably feel about 25% better. Does it take time for the medication to kick in or should I feel better straight away with it being given by IV?

Probably all things I shouls have asked the hospital really but any advice really appreciated :D

Comments

• bettieboop22
    bettieboop22 Member Posts: 9
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    joanne6658 wrote:
    I'm just wondering if anyone can give me any advice on Rituximab infusions please?

I had my 2nd infusion on Wednesday (4 weeks after my original one due to developing a chest infection) I had the usual dose of steroids beforehand and then the IV.

Since then I can honestly say that I've not really felt better, I felt ok on Thursday but since then I've just had the usual pain and stiffness.

I am probably being silly here but I really was expecting to feel 100% better and I probably feel about 25% better. Does it take time for the medication to kick in or should I feel better straight away with it being given by IV?

Probably all things I shouls have asked the hospital really but any advice really appreciated :D

Hi there, I am due to have my first dose of Rituximab this coming Friday so don't know quite what to expect. I have been told by the Rheumatology nurse that it takes up to 3 months to be effective! I must admit I am very nervous about having this treatment. Have you had any ill effects?
    x[/i]
  • wallysatt
    wallysatt Member Posts: 87
    Options
    Hi Joanne

I had my first infusion in June this year and my second 2 weeks later. Like you I found that the next day I felt much better but I put this down to the steroids. It actually took around 10 weeks for me to begin to feel any benefit from it but I was told that this isn't unusual.

I had around 4 weeks of feeling better and then got a chest infection so I’ve been knocked back again. I am waiting to hear about my next infusion. I’m told I can have it in December but as of yet I have no date.

I hope it works well for you.

Sally.
  • manikyam
    manikyam Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Have gone through different posts in the forum and have seen delighted people with many of their queries resolved. Hoping the same with me.

My mom (46years) is suffereing from RA (with RF negative) from past 2 years and she is on Prednisolone (2mg per day now) and hydroxychloroquine(DMARD). She is feeling better now with more good days than bad days. Our Rheumy yesterday referred to Rituximab and he want to start with it. I was surfing abt Rituximab and got to know that it should be used only if any of anti-TNF drugs like enbre etc fails to work. But my mom never have been on this drugs.
    My questions here are:
    Is it ok to jump to Rituximab without using TNF inhibitors (enbrel). Are there any one who are put in to rituximab without prior use of anti-TNF’s

Thanks for your patience and time.
    Hoping for the best.