just had mtx injections delivered and...

Options
suzster
suzster Member Posts: 1,328
edited 25. Nov 2008, 13:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
there is so much in the box!
1) i have 8 injections,
2) a sharps bin,
3) a box of gloves,
4) a big pack of dispossible aprons,
5) a chemo home spill kit (?) which has gloves, goggles and various other items in it,
6) plasters,
7) cotton wool balls,
8) swabs.
is this what they will deliver every 6 weeks or will it just be injections, swabs, cotton wool and plasters next time?
i just wasn't expecting so much!!
i guess the gloves are to use when doing injection? swabs for cleaning before injection and plasters for putting on after injection.
and maybe the aprons in case my hubby throws up as he has a hates needles?!

sorry if these are daft questions but i was just expecting a small package of injections and a sharps bin!!!

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,410
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Suz
    I hope you don't get all that paraphenalia!! I don't know personally, buit someopne will - but for your sake I hope that this BIG supply is a one-off!!! :shock:
    Good luck with the jabs - I really hope they help you
    Toni x
  • suzster
    Options
    thanks! it's the aprons that have confused me! i guess i could use them to avoid getting soaked when bathing my little one. she always splashes loads!!!
  • tracys
    tracys Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi Suzstter your lucky I have to go and collect mine! The Aprons and Gloves are only if someone else is doing the injection for you as far as I know hope this helps. Your list is what I have
    Tracy
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    Is all that stuff usual with mtx injections? I only ever had it in tab form. I don't get any of that with my Enbrel injections- just antiseptic wipes and the pre-filled syringes. I order the prescription from the hospital which is then posted out to me. I take it to chemist and they order it and then I keep it in the fridge -in all it takes about a week from ordering to receiving the drug. I take my sharps bin to clinic with me when I need a new one. No aprons or gloves. Is it different for different drugs or different for different health authorities? The mind boggles!!
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi Suzster, when I started on MXT, all I got in a box was injections, sharps box and cottonwool, when I am due for another delivery they call and I get a small box of injections, the sharp box is collected by another company, I just tell them the box wants emptying and it is organised for me love Jasper Catxx
  • katherine810
    katherine810 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    tracys wrote:
    Hi Suzstter your lucky I have to go and collect mine! The Aprons and Gloves are only if someone else is doing the injection for you as far as I know hope this helps. Your list is what I have
    Tracy

I have to go and collect too. Well actually if i'm being honest my mum does, but she has to drive all the way to the hospital, to try and find a parking space, pay to park, every 4 weeks just to get my injections. You can get them delievered? Any ideas how/where anyone? I don't know whether my hospital offers this, I don't think it does, but it'd be nice to know anyway?

Thankyou :)
    Lots of love
    Katherine
    x
  • suzster
    Options
    thank you all for your replies, i was confused by the massive box of stuff, especially the emergency chemo clean up kit, with goggles and gloves and stuff in it, whats that for?!?! is it case of spillages?
    this is the first delivery, but the company rang me on thursday last week to arrange delivery. she gave me loads of infomation, they deliver 8 prefilled syringes every 6 weeks (the extra's are incase theres ever a problem, but surely i'll end up with loads spare eventually?!) i'm not sure if they will send all the other stuff to and i'm not sure about the sharps bin either!! she will ring me the week before each delivery to check what i need and to make sure dose hasn't changed so i suppose i can tell her then what i need, but they always send out 8 injections at a time. they deliver either on monday or thursday and i can ring on the morning delivery is due to check if they will be delivering it in the morning or afternoon, sounds good but i'll see how it goes!
    the company are called 'health care at home' and are based in staffordshire.
    i have to go to see the nurse at hospital on thursday so i can learn how to do the injections, i have to admit that although i have no fear of needles at all, i'm feeling slightly nervous now, i think it's because i looked at the syringes and it's abit more real now!! but we'll see!!! :roll:

hubby bought me large a lockable money tin to store the injections in, out of sarah the nosey toddlers way!
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Suzster
    Wow! Sounds very complicated, but no doubt will become 2nd nature before too long :)
    Good luck with your injection lessons and I hope all goes well.
    Toni x
    P.s. not much interest on the 'black-market' for pre-filled mxt syringes I don't think :!: :wink:
  • suzster
    Options
    no toni, not much interest at all, what about plastic aprons? can i flog those on ebay?!! :lol:
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    suzster wrote:
    no toni, not much interest at all, what about plastic aprons? can i flog those on ebay?!! :lol:
    Sounds like they are setting you up to run the local clinic! I've got aprons from left over from working in the community (they did'nt want them back, honest), and they come in useful for all sorts messy things, like eating spagetti (spelling???). :mrgreen:
  • frogmorton
    Options
    and kiddies painting escapades?!
    Toni x
  • suzster
    Options
    lol, i didn't think of using them, maybe next time i bath sarah i'll wear one to keep me dry, she splashes alot!!!