a quickie about mtx

suzster
suzster Member Posts: 1,328
edited 25. Nov 2008, 08:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi, i have been taking mtx tablets 25mg on a saturday for a while but when my appointment for starting mtx injections was arranged for this thursday the nurse told me not to take my mtx tablets on saturday (the one just gone) as if i did and then had injection i would be overdosing. but i'm finding that today i'm starting to really hurt and my joints are very stiff, i just knocked my hand and it's so painful!
i also feel abit sick, could this be due to not taking my mtx or would it take longer to get out of my system?
also if i start my injections on thursday will it take longer to work because i won't of taken my tablets for a few days?
i hope someone can help?

Comments

• Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I can empathise with you - I know if I miss one injection then I can certainly feel the difference.

However, when I changed from taking MTX tablets to the injections, within 2 weeks I felt amazingly different (i a positive way!) and I do not regret the change from tablets (which did not do me much good but had lots of side effects) to injections.

gie it a go and see what happens - just be kid to yorself for a few days.
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    suzster wrote:
    could this be due to not taking my mtx or would it take longer to get out of my system?

I would guess it was missing your mtx that has caused the problem from the sound of it. I start to feel the withdrawal effects about 6 hours before I am due my next mtx pills and the folic acid pill 24 hours after the mtx kills the mtx dose very quickly. So, you don't have any mtx remaining in your system for any length of time. :o

Cold turkey twice a week :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • katherine810
    katherine810 Member Posts: 67
    Hi :)
    Sickness, don't get me started on MXT and sickness, ill be here for hours talking about it...
    But tablets made me attually be sick.. then injections made me be sick, so i went back to tablets, being a bit older i manged to not be sick but just feel awful, and now my doctors up'd the dose, i'm back to injections again and i've never felt better.
    I've completely forgotten your question now - sorry.
    I'll go back and look, but i hope that may help..
    x
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    :lol: thanks katherine! you sound like me, half way through typing a reply i forget what the question was, still you answered me well so thank you!
    i agree the sickness is awful, i have been taking mtx tablets for a good few months and i have a 23 month old daughter (and a 9yr old!) trying to look after the little one and cope with sickness has been so hard, heres hoping the injections aren't so bad, but i have plenty of anti sickness just in case, i don't leave home without them now!!!