Hydroxychloroquine failure

Options
chris101
chris101 Member Posts: 16
edited 28. Nov 2008, 15:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone..have had to give up taking hydroxychloroquine for my RA after 5 weeks. It was just starting to work as well. Unfortunately it brought my arms up in an itchy rash..phoned the Dr and he said it sounds like an allergic reaction and to stop taking pills immediately. Said to go back and see him at next available appointment - that's 3 weeks away! All I have now is painkillers. This is seriously getting me down. Just wondered if anyone else has had this reaction to hydroxychloroquine? Also, any ideas on what you think he will suggest I try next? Also found out this drug can give you nightmares - explains a lot..think I could write some pretty good horror novels after the nightmares I've been having lately!

Comments

• paddythedaddy
    paddythedaddy Member Posts: 16
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    chris101 wrote:
    Hi everyone..have had to give up taking hydroxychloroquine for my RA after 5 weeks. It was just starting to work as well. Unfortunately it brought my arms up in an itchy rash..phoned the Dr and he said it sounds like an allergic reaction and to stop taking pills immediately. Said to go back and see him at next available appointment - that's 3 weeks away! All I have now is painkillers. This is seriously getting me down. Just wondered if anyone else has had this reaction to hydroxychloroquine? Also, any ideas on what you think he will suggest I try next? Also found out this drug can give you nightmares - explains a lot..think I could write some pretty good horror novels after the nightmares I've been having lately!

Hi Chris. Yes, I had a similar reaction to hydroxychloroquine, after about three weeks of use. The vivid, itchy, painful rash covered arms, torso and upper legs and moved about a bit to boost the entertainment level.

I stopped taking hydroxy… etc. after a quick consultation with my GP, who also prescribed a steroid cream to tackle the rash. It went after about a week.

I don't recall having any nightmares, but I do remember a particularly pleasant dream about Dannii Minogue.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hi Chris
    Poor you! Glad you are ok though and sorry you have no decent meds for now.
    Tke care
    Toni x
  • angie12
    angie12 Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi Chris

I've been on hydro since 2004. At first, I came out in a severe itchy rash all over but, my Dr told me to take 2 antihestimines daily and give it a chance. It did calm down but, I had very dry skin to start with and it's drier still now. I also come out in the itchy rash now and again, especially on my thighs. (Drives me mad.) especially if I take the doses too close together. I'm glad it worked though because it's the mildest of the RA meds.

Angie
  • chris101
    chris101 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Thank you for all your comments - they are much appreciated. If the Dr just suggests trying a different drug I will ask him about taking antihistamines - as you say, they do seem to be the mildest drug to take for RA and they were beginning to work for me. Just have to get writing though so as not to waste the nightmares!
  • paddythedaddy
    paddythedaddy Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Chris, I hope antihistamines do the trick for you. I tried them for a few days as directed by the doc, but they had no discernible effect. Only steroid cream brought the rash under control.

That's not to say they won't work for you, though. Best of luck.
  • purvesrosie
    purvesrosie Member Posts: 59
    Options
    I had a similair reaction to mtx, i was so bad i had to go to A+E they gave me steriod tablets to bring everything under control. I hope your feeling better soon.
  • garagefluffy
    garagefluffy Member Posts: 15
    Options
    hi

Plaquenil gave me increasingly bad stomach pains and very bad indigestion. Had to ditch it within few weeks. Did itch too but no rash.