Back with my new knee !!!

Options
greyheron
greyheron Member Posts: 167
edited 25. Nov 2008, 16:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone.

Just a quick post to say that I had my TKR on Nov 5th. All went well apart from side effects (sickness) from the pain meds which meant I wasn't able to 'get going' as quickly as I'd hoped. But I was out of bed and walking with a frame on on day 3, passed quickly through the crutches stage onto sticks and was discharged on day 7 walking safely with 1 stick and managing stairs confidently.

As you may be able to guess from the above, physio was superb. I made it clear from the start that as I live alone I wanted to be as independent as possible when I went home and that I was prepared to work hard with physio to achieve this - which is what happened, and I am really grateful for the fantastic help I received.

Friends have been great (including making sure I wasn't alone overnight for the first few days after discharge) but it was good not to feel too dependent on them.

I'm now settling into a routine of exercises 4 times a day, walks outside (when it's not snowing!) and getting ready for Christmas. I'm feeling slightly frustrated because progress doesn't seem as quick as immediately post-op, I'm still in quite a lot of pain and not sleeping well - but I do know that I'm improving 'little by little' and that I must be patient.

Last but not least, I want to thank everyone who sent me supportive messages just before my op - you really helped me to have a positive, optimistic mindset which I'm sure made a big difference.

Now I'm looking forward to catching up on all the threads that I've missed while I've been away.

All the best to everyone.

Wendy

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Wendy and welcome back :D:D

I am delighted that you are getting along great even if you don't think things are progressing as fast as you would like. I was the same but you are doing really well and here's hoping you go from strength to strength quickly! You will be a new woman by January 2009 and probably long before that!!

I did not sleep well for quite a time so you are not alone with that symptom.

Lovely weather here today, very cold but really sunny.

Hope you have a good day,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi Wendy and welcome back :D:D

I am delighted that you are getting along great even if you don't think things are progressing as fast as you would like. I was the same but you are doing really well and here's hoping you go from strength to strength quickly! You will be a new woman by January 2009 and probably long before that!!

I did not sleep well for quite a time so you are not alone with that symptom.

Lovely weather here today, very cold but really sunny.

Hope you have a good day,

Luv
    Elna x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, So glad you are OK Soon be chasing around again! Sorry about the side effects though, still it'll all be worthwhile. Love and Best Wishes Sue. :lol:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    Hi Wendy
    Well done you!!
    Sounds as though there's still room for grim determination!
    Other people have mentioned to me the problems sleeping after surgery like this.
    I too remember having terrible trouble sleeping myself after my back op. :(
    I think it all comes out in the wash by about week 6 - just when you're about to see the surgeon for your check-up! So you can say "'I'm fine thank you!"
    Anyway good to see you back
    Toni x
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    i'm glad all went well and the physio's were great, it sounds like you are doing very well and you sound cheerful to, which always helps.
    i hope you are back to full strength very soon.
    sue
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi Wendy

Glad you're back. Sounds like op went well but please don't push yourself too hard to recover, it will happen. You don't want to be laid up for Christmas :) Did I mention the C word, I've only bought 1 pressie. Must move quicker :)

Love
    Vonski x
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    vonski wrote:
    Hi Wendy

Glad you're back. Sounds like op went well but please don't push yourself too hard to recover, it will happen. You don't want to be laid up for Christmas :) Did I mention the C word, I've only bought 1 pressie. Must move quicker :)

Love
    Vonski x
    good luck with new knee wendy,wishing u a speedy recovery.debs