TKR - should I be worried about pain?

greyheron
greyheron Member Posts: 167
edited 25. Nov 2008, 07:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Can anyone help me / share their experiences of pain after a TKR?

I had mine 3 weeks ago, and although I've know from information on this website and elsewhere that it takes a while to be pain-free, I'm not sure whether the pain I'm experiencing now is 'normal' or whether it's something to be worried about.

It's hard to describe pain, but during the day it's like toothache all the time with periods of more intense, burning pain - I guess varying from 3/10 - 6/10. At night I tend to wake up at least once with what feel like spasms at the back of my knee - really painful for about 20 mins or so, then it wears off. Then in the morning my knee is very stiff.

However, I am mobilising well (with 1 stick) and I am doing my exercises regularly and although they can be a bit painful, nothing unbearable and often my knee feels better after doing them. I feel as if I'm doing well in this 'department' - but then I worry in case I am 'overdoing it'.

I'm taking ibuprofen and paracetomol for pain relief 4-5 times a day. I was discharged with Tramadol to be used 'as needed' - if I take 2 at night I have a better night's sleep but wake up feeling like I've been hit over the head with a chemical cosh!

I'm not due to see the consultant again for about 3 weeks, though obviously I could ask for an earlier appointment if I needed to. Or the physios said they would be happy to talk to me (I'm doing my physio exercises at home) but I don't want to bother them unnecessarily.

Sorry, this has turned into quite a long and whinge-y post - but I would be grateful for any thoughts anyone has.

Many thanks

Wendy

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Wendy

I had humungus pain after my op for a long time. Also nights were disturbed with the same symptoms as you describe. It is something to do with the body shutting down or something, my consultant said but he had an answer for everything and moved goalposts when I said I was in pain and repeatedly told me that it was a major op and that is why he did not perform them at the drop of a hat. .......

I do not think you will be overdoing the exercising. I expect you do rest some time in the day too as well as pottering and walking around - difficult though that is at times.

I do still get discomfort at times for short periods, even now, 10 months later, but it is still well worth it and I have no regrets at all for having the operation. It has enhanced my life big time.

Everyone is different but I can tell you that my symptoms were similar to yours. It must be bliss for these people that are completely free of pain almost immediately after the op. I really find that hard to believe!!

My physio was even going to give me acupuncure to see if that helped but it did not come to that in the end.

Keep on, keeping on, Wendy, you are doing really well.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.