Osteoarthritis

Options
valmike
valmike Member Posts: 4
edited 1. Dec 2008, 10:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I am new to the forum but hoping that I can get some advice. I have had osteo really bad for about three years and I also have Fibromyalgia. I am at the moment doubled over with back pain which happens it seems every couple of months, I have osteo in both knees, upper and lower spine and feet and hands but it is my back that is getting worse. I heared that Arthritis can ease after the initial inflammarory stage, is this true? and if it is how long does this stage last on average. Sorry for this to be so long but desperate for answers

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 25. Nov 2008, 07:38
    Options
    Hi and welcome, as an osteo sufferer myself, I think the answer is yes and no!!! Some people do seem to have oa die down after its fist flush, others, like me so far, have good times and bad. Sometimes it is only just a faint pain at the back of my mind at others it is a horrible pain that takes over and drives me round the bend. I suppose as in everything, we are all different, I find exercise helps but it must be gentle and not too much, its tempting on a good day to really go for it and do as much as you can but then the next day, you find things are not so good, and you feel very tired and depressed. Thats my experience anyway :P Hope this is of some help. Love Sue.
  • steve1
    steve1 Member Posts: 18
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi. I have it in my hip, and in the early days yet. However I listen to my body..some days I feal great and could run a marathon..Other days I feal awefull and just rest..A few weeks ago I went walking for about 3 hours and suffered for it.Now i just go for gentle walk, and rest after.Steve
  • circuitmarshal
    circuitmarshal Member Posts: 8
    Options
    steve1 wrote:
    Hi. I have it in my hip, and in the early days yet. However I listen to my body..some days I feal great and could run a marathon..Other days I feal awefull and just rest..A few weeks ago I went walking for about 3 hours and suffered for it.Now i just go for gentle walk, and rest after.Steve
    Likewise here.
    I work up to 3 days a week but can with what I do work within my capeabilities, so I guess I'm lucky.
    I find wet weather is worst for me but have spoken to others that suffer on cold days as well.
    I find it more annoying than painful, but guess that's the pills working, unless I make a sudden move. :(
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    My OA started with little aches, with periodic flares, doc called it rheumatism until xrays 2 years ago showed the OA in my hands. Am in acute stage just now and have been off work since November 2007.

Like the others say, everyone seems to differ.
  • nickynysmon08
    nickynysmon08 Bots Posts: 111
    Options
    mine was caused to some degree, by walking too far then coming down a long , long step hill which wore out my knee cartilage. last night was fairly bad, some nights can be quite painful. I am resting today. also the hips are going worse slowly.
    I am thankful being retired, and sympathize with yourself. it helps seeing how others are in the same boat. on my walks locally, over the Dingle at llangefni, I see so many walking with sticks, there are 8 million I believe with this arthritus in its varying forms. what i am trying to find out now is the prognosis as one gets older. still young at 54, though!!!
  • gettinby
    gettinby Member Posts: 29
    Options
    valmike wrote:
    Hi I am new to the forum but hoping that I can get some advice. I have had osteo really bad for about three years and I also have Fibromyalgia. I am at the moment doubled over with back pain which happens it seems every couple of months, I have osteo in both knees, upper and lower spine and feet and hands but it is my back that is getting worse. I heared that Arthritis can ease after the initial inflammarory stage, is this true? and if it is how long does this stage last on average. Sorry for this to be so long but desperate for answers
    Hi,
    OA is a degenerative thing which speaks for itself. I find that having OA where you do is putting a lot of extra strain on your back, it seems to go with the territory.
    My FM is far more of a problem than my OA and it's not always easy to distinguish one from other.
    My illnesses have and do flare up whenever, I take my anti inflams.
    I have not heard of an initial stage.
  • eilean1
    eilean1 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    Hi and welcome, as an osteo sufferer myself, I think the answer is yes and no!!! Some people do seem to have oa die down after its fist flush, others, like me so far, have good times and bad. Sometimes it is only just a faint pain at the back of my mind at others it is a horrible pain that takes over and drives me round the bend. I suppose as in everything, we are all different, I find exercise helps but it must be gentle and not too much, its tempting on a good day to really go for it and do as much as you can but then the next day, you find things are not so good, and you feel very tired and depressed. Thats my experience anyway :P Hope this is of some help. Love Sue.

from eilean1

tDear Woodbon,
    My goodness what you are saying is just so applicable to me. This time last week (I am still in VERY early stages, having just been felled down on October 6) without any warning. I woke up and felt as god as new and thought it was all a bad dream. I had to go 25 miles away for a son's MA graduation and had ordered a ta xi.
    I rang up and cancellled it, glad to save the money, and drove off down the horrible A1. Arrived to find it was Hades. Nowhere to park anywhere in the university precinct and ended up, with time ticking zway,parking in a street about 20 mins quick walk away. Was congratulating myself though. Hah. Began to get throbs at the buffet afterwards and had to sit down. To cut long story short had to get a lift back to my own town and someone collected my car and drove it backlater. I hadn't a clue where I'd left it and had to go along in agony with friend, driving around before I recognised a landmark.
    I remembered too late reading that in the SAS one of the first orienteering lessons you're taught is to turn round before you set off and memorise everything behind yo for the return journey..
    Anyway, all I will say is that it has been very very bad. Pain everywhere. Doped up. Still waiting for a diagnosis. But through reading lots on this wonderful site I hve discovered the lesson of taking i softly softly, even although you feel fine..
    Question.
    When can you, if ever, get around normally again when you feel alright? How can you tell i it is safe to try, risking a terrible payback?

Thanks to you anyway,.
    eilean