Doctors .....again

Options
jeannie2
jeannie2 Member Posts: 135
edited 26. Nov 2008, 15:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
3 Water tests showed blood/protein/+unadvised. 4th test requested by GP = ‘come to see me 3 days after test submitted. Tried to make appointment when passed test in but No!!! ring on the morning. Went to rheumy nurse Friday BP = 179/96 (usually 141(3)/60ish) she said go to see gp/nurse soonest.
Have just ‘phoned. This am they have granted 3rd-day appointment. Mentioned raised BP … receptionist says ‘this is a one-problem appointment. Are you happy with that?’ What’s the system coming to when you’ll be sitting with your gp and can’t mention high BP and get something done about it because you’re already discussing a water problem!!!! And it’s all part of the same illness and likely to be due to new medication.

Ah, well – suppose if I have a stroke/heart attack before I can make a ‘talk about anything’ appointment that’ll be alright because it will be a hospital job and the responsibility will be shifted to A&E. I wish, I wish SOMEBODY would knock this NHS into some sort of shape so that it deals with patients and not accountancy issues. Think we ought to knock off the ‘S’ because a service it is not.
Sorry for the moan but I’m feel tormented by du.du….dy doctors' receptionists.
Jeannie

Comments

• lynnmary
    lynnmary Member Posts: 12
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    dear jeannie
    never heard of a one problem appointment before whats it coming to ??? hard enough to get a appointment with a g.p maybe your one problem is your meds then he or she will have to see what is happening to your body and deal with all factors ...wish you luck
    and that you feel better soon
    lynn
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    I've never heard of them either?!
    I never go to see my gp with just one problem, I always have a list!!
    Also surely the gp has to look at all your symptoms as a whole to help him make a diagnosis? One thing could be affecting the other?

Good luck.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    jenzie06 wrote:
    I've never heard of them either?!
    I never go to see my gp with just one problem, I always have a list!!
    Also surely the gp has to look at all your symptoms as a whole to help him make a diagnosis? One thing could be affecting the other?

Good luck.
    I agree with all the above andI havn't either, but I wish I could say it surprises me, but it does' nt phhhhh.........Sometimes my husband and I would take up all the GPs day between us (hes diabetic, and often goes with a list of things to talk over.) Hope you sort it out, I know, you could say 'I've got a sore throat and I think its caused by my high blood pressure, which is causing me to be unable to sleep as I have ingrowing toe nails'!!!! See, theirs always an answer to this b*** s*** :oops: :oops: :oops: Love Sue.
  • jeannie2
    jeannie2 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Hi folks,
    Appointment saga .... 'What did you want to see me about this morning?', she says (she's lovely this GP). 'Er.... you asked me to come in 3 days after the water test went in.' (Shut mouth). 'Did I?' 'Yes' (Shut mouth) (Doing the shut mouth in case I ask her the time and it's counted as two and I get thrown out and whipped on the doorstep).
    'Water test was OK. No sign of previous problem.' 'Great' (shut mouth). 'I want you to bring another one after Christmas.' End.

So I says, 'May I ask you a question?' 'Yes'. 'Can the practice nurse attend to the high blood pressure bit and issue necessary beta blockers?' 'Yes'. omg I've just been put on a new stronger cytotoxic drug and the nurse is dishing out new pills!!!! I'm speechless.

Yes, our surgery has 'emergency appointments' which must be claimed first thing in the morning, probably judged by the amount of blood you are liable to spill onto the carpet. We also have a 'telephone surgery' where you can discuss the bruise on the side of your face over the 'phone. Then, of course we have these 'one problem only' appointments. A proper appointment, booked today, would be issued for 19th December, if you're really lucky or the end of January if you're not.

Repeat prescriptions take 48 hours - no less! (I used to write them as the patient came in, nip into the doctor between patients, and then people got them 'while they waited'. AND I didn't have three or four colleagues to help - there was only me!!!
    They tell me it's 2001 - everything's fit for the 21st century - we've 'moved on'! Really! I'm now beginning to think that the only thing computerisation has done is teach us how to waste paper!
    Jeannie
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Oh goodness, I hope mysurgery does not reaqd this. They are very good and I would not like to see tham following this path.
    I trained as a nurse in the 'good old days' which is probably why i have OE. I would not have like to have the ability to 'prescribe' medication.
    Also my confidence in the nurses at my surgery is limited, an elderly friend takes warfarin and when the nurse phones following the weekly blood test she does not know the colour of each trenth which leaves my friend having to read all the labels and writing down the colours she hasw to take on the note.

Anyway, back to your post, I do hope nothing is missed when it would have been simpler to let you ask.