Averaging 2-3 hrs sleep per night / whats your av/ge sleep

sassysore
sassysore Member Posts: 17
edited 1. Dec 2008, 06:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am luck if I get an hour and a half. Fed up of it.

Comments

• petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I have recently (2 weeks) been avaraging 4 to 6 hours after a year of 2 to 3 hours. Appart from the fact I have changed the times I take my medication, a major change is I have done away with my continental quilt.
    I have one double fleece blanket, I only use a bottom sheet, replacing the top one with a light weight fleece which when washed is dry by bedtime. I don't have heating on at night and up here in Scotland it is very cold at night. I keep waiting to feel the cold, but never do.

I don't know if its the warmth the fleeces provide, or the fact I was previously feeling the continental quilt very heavy, upper body and arms being worsed affected in my case. Maybe you should consider making changes to suit your own needs. I also have a bedtime routine of hot drink etc, no I am not a mad woman and am not insitutionalised. It is just something which I have found helps to convince my body that it is time to sleep. Linda
  • eugeneg
    eugeneg Member Posts: 36
    Another nightmare kip , ankles throbbing, shoulders creaking,
    neck the same. Its no wonder I'm averaging 2-3 hrs sleep per night.
    I looked at the alarm clock with dismay, and when I'm awake during the day, I'm walking around like a zombie because of lack of sleep.
    Whats your average sleep time, I've heard sleep depravation can be very serious in the long term.

Hi Alan,

My sleep patern went from being rubbish, to good, starting to get bad again and like you I'm feeling it. Not good when I have to do 45 minutes behind the wheel at 7 in the morning to get to work! It is a bit of everything at the moment, my joints feel bad although my Rheumy tells me otherwise and my Fibro feels like the pain has got worse so much so I am waking at all different hours. Plus I have pain on top from ongoing infections! My night time meds used to knock me out, not anymore! My Fibro feels so bad I think I need this upping!

All the best,

Eugene.
  • gettinby
    gettinby Member Posts: 29
    Hi all,
    On the subject of beds and sleeping. I can no longer share bed with my partner as it is hard for me and disruptive to her. Does anyone else have to sleep alone? Not only is it lonesome but it also causes a problem as to having enough bedrooms, at the moment she has to sleep with our 7 year old daughter which obviously isn't good.
    I feel very guilty ( as usual ) about the impact my health has on the family...... sorry that's a moan, ill health is as ill health does.
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi, about 3-4 hours sleep is good for me, my hubby sleeps in the spare bedroom as he doesn't want to turn over and hurt me in bed, my neighbours have the heating on all night that keeps me awake, I like a cold bedroom and their heating keeps me awake, result I have to go back to bed in the morning and don't get up until around 10.30 love Jaspercatxxx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Linda.... thanks for the reply, all good stuff.
    Another problem is that I have to sleep with a " foot cage"
    to keep the sheets and duvet off my ankles. The bed seems freezing.
    If only we were rich, then we could have the heating on full time , or an I having a daydream.

Hi Alan,

Do you wear bedsocks - they might help you to keep a bit warmer and are cheaper than having the heating on all night :?:

Luv Legs
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    I used to able to sleep anywhere but thelast few years have got really bad. If I wake in the night and it doesn't matter if I've been asleep for 20 minutes or 2 hours that's it I'm awake for the rest of the night. Whilst I've been so poorly with my chest I've had to take sleeping tabs or I wouldn't get any rest at all and I'm a great believer in rest helping the healing process. I don't like taking them but if needs must!

What I used to do (and hopefully get back to) is one night a week (usually friday) I would take a sleeping tab and go to bed at 7pm. I'd sleep the night throughand be as stiff as a board for all of saturday but at least my head had a rest!!!I found just doing this once a week was enough to keep me going!!!

But what I'd give for a 'proper' nights sleep!!! Bliss.
  • lindalegs
    gettinby wrote:
    Hi all,
    On the subject of beds and sleeping. I can no longer share bed with my partner as it is hard for me and disruptive to her. Does anyone else have to sleep alone? Not only is it lonesome but it also causes a problem as to having enough bedrooms, at the moment she has to sleep with our 7 year old daughter which obviously isn't good.
    I feel very guilty ( as usual ) about the impact my health has on the family...... sorry that's a moan, ill health is as ill health does.

I think we all feel guilty and frustrated with this illness at some time or another. It's really sad that you can't share a bed at the moment but hopefully this is only temporary until your arthriitis settles down and then you'll be able to get back to some form of normality. We weathered the storm and chose to continue to share our bed and in time my husband got used to the disruptive sleep and now I don't disturb his rest even if I'm having a rough night myself. :D

It won't always be as bad as it is now :wink:

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Lindalegs
    Anyone with arthritis in their ankles, or feet, I would not recommend wearing socks in bed in winter. I have found that they restrict the natural movement of the foot, you cannot stretch them while your asleep. Iv'e tried this and woke up with ankles very sore. Alanmancunian
    i find if i wear socks in bed i get chillblands,i find i have a bad night even with sleeping tabs.my o/h is forever pulling the quilt back on the bed.in the morning the quilt is always the wrong way round??i toss & turn inpain all night,trying to get comfy,we have a throw on the bed too cause im feeling the cold.guess what.... its THROWN on the floor in the morning,ready for me to get up & trip over,at 6am,when its still dark trying to find the light switch,zombie looking for loo!!!! :lol::lol: debs
  • lindalegs
    I stand corrected folks, obviously what suits one of us doesn't suit us all - I just know I couldn't sleep with cold feet. Fortunately my arthritis in my feet tends to keep them warm so it's not something I suffer from. Back to the drawing board ............ :roll:

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
  • nickynysmon08
    nickynysmon08 Bots Posts: 111
    May I make a few suggestions. if sleep is a problem, (and you obviously have a computer,) keep one room warm and if sleep is a problem and you are in pain, simply get up stay in the warm room, and use the computer. I find looking at the screen in the small hours , in the past that it is, brings on tiredness, also, don't try to sleep, but lie awake and let sleep come to you. normally we pass into sleep unknowingly.
    sleep is seldom a problem for me now, but I do get bad pains in my knees if I lie still for too long. then awake, but then let sleep come to me naturally.

I hope this is of help to you,

Nick

Another nightmare kip , ankles throbbing, shoulders creaking,
    neck the same. Its no wonder I'm averaging 2-3 hrs sleep per night.
    I looked at the alarm clock with dismay, and when I'm awake during the day, I'm walking around like a zombie because of lack of sleep.
    Whats your average sleep time, I've heard sleep depravation can be very serious in the long term.
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Another nightmare kip , ankles throbbing, shoulders creaking, neck the same. Its no wonder I'm averaging 2-3 hrs sleep per night. I looked at the alarm clock with dismay, and when I'm awake during the day, I'm walking around like a zombie because of lack of sleep.

If you are inactive or resting during the day due to pain, then you won't need so much sleep at night. If you can, during the day have an hours nap if you need it. This will recharge the batteries for you and make you less of a zombie. :shock:

Try having a small radio or music player by the bedside and wear a decent set of headphones, not earphones which make a squeaky sound, along with a warm drink to sup in the small hours. This soon gets me back to sleep. 8)

Enforced sleep deprivation, where someone deliberately keeps you awake can lead to problems, :( but this is a different situation. :D

I hope that this info from a real insomniac helps. If you don't believe me look at the times on some of my postings. :shock:

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Hey Folks I was up doing the ironing at 4am this morning!-and that was after a sleeping tab and not getting off until 12.30am!! Funny how you could just fall asleep at 6.45am when everyone is getting up!!

Love Kate xx