The Steroid Use is Ironic

jimmy77
jimmy77 Member Posts: 71
edited 1. Dec 2008, 09:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

Most recently I had an allergic reaction to an insect bite or something in my eye and ended up in the ER. They prescribed prednisone or predsilone which is the same thing for 5 days. It was funny when the Dr. asked if I had ever used steroids and I responded yes off and on for 20 years in pill and injection form. He was surprised and then noticed my hands and said okay now I understand why. It seems ironic that steroids are used for the treatment of so many illnesses/injuries but yet unfortunately in the current form they have so many side effects in high doses over long periods of time.

Jimmy

Comments

• doverliz
    doverliz Member Posts: 16
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I have just been put on prednisolone and feel absolutely wonderful! What a shame they can't be taken indefinitely :( I guess you could become quite addicted to taking them, as well, maybe :shock:
  • jimmy77
    i worry about the longterm effects of steroids,but they do a fantastic job for short term relief of so many things,it is a pity that they couldnt be manufactured in a way that they could be given longterm without the risk of side effects,even although they wouldnt prevent joint damage,they wpuld be fantastic in curbing pain and inflammation wouldnt they.
    Jimmy are you in America or Canada?...no reason for asking other than sheer nosiness on my part :lol:

Hi Scottishlass,

America.
    Yes, I agree and steroids are not expensive, either, maybe why drug companies are not interested in solving the the cure for the RA riddle.

Jimmy
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    While there are side effects with any medicine, it is always a balancing act of benefit over risk. As steroids have been around since about the 1940s then the risks are well known and research has improved the beneficial effects. :shock:

If you are on steroids then you should keep taking them, because even if you take them for a short period of time, ie. longer than about 3 weeks, then your body stops producing them naturally. When you stop taking them suddenly, then your body takes time to start producing steroids naturally and you will suffer adrenal suppression. :oops:

Talk it over with your Rheumy if anyone is worried about any long term effects. :?

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Whoops I've taken steroids for 13 years. I had one month off when I was 7 months pregnant!!!

Had just got down to a really low dose- been trying to wean myself off for 18 months when I got this blasted pleurasy and now back up at a higher dose again!!!

Oh well, at least I can breath!!!

Kate x
  • jimmy77
    katekelly wrote:
    Whoops I've taken steroids for 13 years. I had one month off when I was 7 months pregnant!!!

Had just got down to a really low dose- been trying to wean myself off for 18 months when I got this blasted pleurasy and now back up at a higher dose again!!!

Oh well, at least I can breath!!!

Kate x

Hi Kate,

I take a low dose daily- 5mg and have for years. I've already been down the mtx and sulpha road. Some rheumies recommend taking it every other day. It does replace some natural hormones like glucocortcoids which maybe the problem to begin with because the body does not produce enough of them. Alot of asthma conditions are treated this way as well.

Good luck.

Jimmy