The grass is not always greener at the cheaper supermarket!

Options
Wonkylegs
Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
edited 6. Dec 2008, 07:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
I went to a different supermarket today - one of the ones who advertise themselves as being cheaper but selling good stuff.

My first challenge was that they only have one type of shopping trolley (the deep ones which you have to really lean into) - and don't offer baskets at all, so I couldn't do what I sometimes do and put smaller things in a basket balanced on the child seat part of the trolley.

having chosen my goods, I got to the till to find that I was not 'allowed' to put items straight into my bags (which were out all ready) the assistant was very sharp with me, told me to get the stuff put into the trolley and sort it out away from the till where I was holding everyone up. I had never seen things being put through a till so fast! Never mind that I could only use one hand, or that I was wearing my wrist splints - speed was her only concern!

So, more back-breaking bending to put all the stuff into the trolley for a second time, and then taking it out for a second time to pack it into my bags! argh!!!!!!

i did suggest that perhaps they should have regard to the DDA, but of course all I got was a blank look, followed by a curt reminder to toddle off out of the way!

How different my experience an hour later at the tills of one of the larger well-known supermarkets, where i could choose a shallow trolley, where all my bags were packed for me, I was helped to lift the shopping into the trolley, and had I wanted it, they would have lifted the stuff into the boot for me as well!

sometimes it really does pay to shop wisely - and i know where I will be going next time!

Comments

• bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    :idea: get your fitest friend to go shopping with you back to said store pile biggest trolly get most of it on the belt bit in another trolly put through not payed for yet then just walk away muttering about some body not being helpful because your friend has gone out of the shop ,, you might be a bit embaressed at first but what sattisfaction xx hugs to all {may} .
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    I think that is a horrible way to treat paying customers, even if they are fit and healthy. Why do people put up with it? Money I suppose. Love Sue xx
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    I think that is a horrible way to treat paying customers, even if they are fit and healthy. Why do people put up with it? Money I suppose. Love Sue xx
    i had the same problem with the deep trolley at ''L'',so had to get what i thought was a smaller trolley.walking around with m in law,when i realised it was a trolley designed to go in front of a wheelchair with the disability badges on both sides,every1 was looking at us,we took up the width of the checkout with it :oops: well we didnt have to bend to get shopping out & didnt fall in it head first..but the trolleys r deeper than ''A''s.i hate shopping im always getting into trouble some how :lol: debs.
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Options
    Have another shopping issue. I went to fill up the car last night, first time in ages. It took me so long to get out the blooming thing - balancing using my stick, my hands are bad so turning the cap thing not good. Then hobbling around to go pay - bring back the person who used to fill em up!! Seriously though how do you all manage?? It not a user friendly world really is it??
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, I have given up supermarkets, it is just too much trouble to go round in my wheelchair and I certainly couldn't manage with my stick, I have me groceries delivered now by either "S" or "W", I have to say that although "W" is slightly dearer, the customer service is wonderful, the driver will willingly bring the bags into the kitchen for me, and they always take the bags back for re-cycling love Jaspercatxxx
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    i only use the 'L' one for nappies, they do a big 44 pack for lees than other brands, but i do agree with the get you in and out quick, throw everything in the trolley, pay and go!!! not very :lol: more :x
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    bertyboy wrote:
    :idea: get your fitest friend to go shopping with you back to said store pile biggest trolly get most of it on the belt bit in another trolly put through not payed for yet then just walk away muttering about some body not being helpful because your friend has gone out of the shop ,, you might be a bit embaressed at first but what sattisfaction xx hugs to all {may} .

haa haa..like it :D
  • oneday
    Options
    Why cant we name and shame them.

Yes wonkey i know the ones you mean.

At the major stores i always get the trolleys you dont have to bend down into either.

None are particular friendly are they? I had a friend who once worked at one of the main ones and theyre told to pass the items fast, so they want more profits, couldnt care less about the customers, jsut profits.

i also get annoyed at the "every little helps one" as they dont have a nice sick policy to their staff. i have seen sstaff with wrist splints on as too frightened to be off sick. Hasnt the supermarket made enough profits, let the staff be off.

having bad day incase you hadnt guessed!!!!!!!! plans not working out :(
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    We do our shopping over the internet, my hubby booked 5 p.m for when he'd be home to unpack. Week before last, the driver arrived at 4.30 and I managed to carry the stuff into the hall, but my back and hands were painful all evening and the next day. Hubby said they should unpack?? The next week they arrived early again and I said we did'nt expect him till 5pm and said, sorry but I can't unpack as I have arthritis (I was wearing my splints, as I'd just had cortosone injections), 'Ok' he said 'I'm not in a rush, I'll just sit in the van and wait.) He waited over half an hour!! Why book a time if they come early, still at least he waited and I got the shopping, that was T.... Sue
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    Last week was the first time I'd been to a supermarket on my own for ages, my OH was away all week and it had to be done. I did and was really chuffed with myself. Paid for it later mind you!!
    Usually both my partner and I go to the supermarket together - him pushing the trolley and me wheeling myself round in my chair.
    My partner has this on going joke where he shouts 'its a miracle' whenever I stand up out of my chair. It always makes me laugh. Usually by the end of the shopping I'm pooped and my hands hurt so my OH pushes the trolley into the back of my chair and we go in convoy to the car!

Does anyone find people act really odd towards you when you're in the wheelchair - they are either really helpful or they think whatever you have is contagious!!
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    jenzie06 wrote:
    Last week was the first time I'd been to a supermarket on my own for ages, my OH was away all week and it had to be done. I did and was really chuffed with myself. Paid for it later mind you!!
    Usually both my partner and I go to the supermarket together - him pushing the trolley and me wheeling myself round in my chair.
    My partner has this on going joke where he shouts 'its a miracle' whenever I stand up out of my chair. It always makes me laugh. Usually by the end of the shopping I'm pooped and my hands hurt so my OH pushes the trolley into the back of my chair and we go in convoy to the car!

Does anyone find people act really odd towards you when you're in the wheelchair - they are either really helpful or they think whatever you have is contagious!!

Or the other favourite is when 'they' talk over your head, totally ignore you and ask Hubby questions about you that you can't possibly answer because you are in a wheelchair!!! :x
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Options
    Ive found children to be really sweet the odd times I've used a wheelchair or a buggy thing. I think its because you are on the same eye level? I am most of the time anyway - I'm 51" :D
    Blooming frustrating though how many 'obstacles' shops put in your way...
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Not long ago someone was writing regulary
    on here or the chit chat line about problems
    he or she had had at A..a. I only use our
    local M................s for petrol.
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    katekelly wrote:
    jenzie06 wrote:

Does anyone find people act really odd towards you when you're in the wheelchair - they are either really helpful or they think whatever you have is contagious!![/quote

That is exactly the reason why I won't shop in my wheelchair, that and people just stand around and won't get out of the way love jaspercatxxx

Or the other favourite is when 'they' talk over your head, totally ignore you and ask Hubby questions about you that you can't possibly answer because you are in a wheelchair!!! :x
  • magenta
    magenta Member Posts: 1,604
    Options
    I went to the 'L' shop a few months ago and haven't been back since. Yes, they may be cheaper for some things but I'm not into this 'see how fast you can get this stuff back into your trolley' malarkey! My wee girl (only recently turned 5) turned to the shop assistant and said 'my mummy has sore hands, you need to help her' I was so proud of her :)
    Magenta x
  • annic4363
    annic4363 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    We do our shopping over the internet, my hubby booked 5 p.m for when he'd be home to unpack. Week before last, the driver arrived at 4.30 and I managed to carry the stuff into the hall, but my back and hands were painful all evening and the next day. Hubby said they should unpack?? The next week they arrived early again and I said we did'nt expect him till 5pm and said, sorry but I can't unpack as I have arthritis (I was wearing my splints, as I'd just had cortosone injections), 'Ok' he said 'I'm not in a rush, I'll just sit in the van and wait.) He waited over half an hour!! Why book a time if they come early, still at least he waited and I got the shopping, that was T.... Sue

Hi there

Like you I never ever go to the supermarket. It is just too blinking hard. Although I have quite serious RA I have no visible signs - as in I am mobile and don't use a stick. So we decided long ago to do our shopping online. I therefore have some thoughts borne out of experience that may help.

Firstly, I use what is supposed to be the most expensive online service. To be honest doing a direct comparison between them and the more main stream supermarkets we found the difference to be pence.

Secondly, this company don't use their high street stores to do deliveries - rather they use ENORMOUS warehouses which are totally automated. I love this because have watched teenagers on a Saturday wandering aimlessly round the local branch of our supermarket ostensibly doing someone's shopping I now understand why there are some many mistakes and substitutions. As ours is all picked by computer - and I do mean all! - we never have mistakes and rarely get substitutions. The first human intervention in my order is when the driver loads the shopping onto his van!

They are very good about phoning if they are going to be early or late. It's the driver who phones and not a call centre so it is easy peasy to explain that I can't cope if they come early if my husband isn't here. Having said that I can usually cope at they are more than happy to bring all the bags up to my first floor kitchen so that I can unpack them at my pace.

I know we don't normally mention companies by name so if anyone would like to know who I am talking about please do send me a PM. I would be happy to recommend you as a friend so that you can get a £10 discount of each of your first 3 deliveries!

Chat soon

Annie
    x

x
  • oneday
    Options
    annic4363 wrote:
    woodbon wrote:

Hi there

Like you I never ever go to the supermarket. It is just too blinking hard. Although I have quite serious RA I have no visible signs - as in I am mobile and don't use a stick. So we decided long ago to do our shopping online. I therefore have some thoughts borne out of experience that may help.

Firstly, I use what is supposed to be the most expensive online service. To be honest doing a direct comparison between them and the more main stream supermarkets we found the difference to be pence.

Secondly, this company don't use their high street stores to do deliveries - rather they use ENORMOUS warehouses which are totally automated. I love this because have watched teenagers on a Saturday wandering aimlessly round the local branch of our supermarket ostensibly doing someone's shopping I now understand why there are some many mistakes and substitutions. As ours is all picked by computer - and I do mean all! - we never have mistakes and rarely get substitutions. The first human intervention in my order is when the driver loads the shopping onto his van!

They are very good about phoning if they are going to be early or late. It's the driver who phones and not a call centre so it is easy peasy to explain that I can't cope if they come early if my husband isn't here. Having said that I can usually cope at they are more than happy to bring all the bags up to my first floor kitchen so that I can unpack them at my pace.

I know we don't normally mention companies by name so if anyone would like to know who I am talking about please do send me a PM. I would be happy to recommend you as a friend so that you can get a £10 discount of each of your first 3 deliveries!

Chat soon

Annie
    x

x

Hi
    I pm you before i got to the end.......and have now seen the £10 bit!!ooh, very tempting!