Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

Help us improve our website, chatbot and online community
We’d love your help to improve our digital services. It’s important to us that our website, chatbot and online community continue to support and provide information people with arthritis in the right way. We’re excited to be doing research to understand more about what’s working for you and what’s not so we can continue to improve what we’re doing.
You don’t need to be familiar with our digital services or a digital native to take part. The research will take one hour and will be run by a research consultancy SnapOut. Simply fill in the survey below to get involved. Together, we can continue to do more for people living with arthritis.

Fill in this survey to take part

mouse help

pollybpollyb Posts: 10
I use a computer for work and a mouse and was wondering if anyone had a special mouse to help with hand pain as I am struggeling at the moment.

pollyb

Comments

• starbuckstarbuck Posts: 3
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Pollyb,
    How are you...
    I, use a computer and keyboard every day for work. Are you on a computer for many hours? try and take breaks as much as you need and can.

You can get lots of different options, google : QUILL MOUSE, ERGONOMIC KEYBOARDS/ MICE MOUSE, TOUCHPADS AND ROLLERBALLS. There are lots out there for RSI and arthritis problems, bagger work and make sure they provide you with something more comfortable.

I use a tablet and Stylus, works just like a pen, and a roller ball mouse. My hands do hurt /ache lots so I find I switch quite regularly between a roller ball mouse and my tablet. The mouse I have is quite low, so there is less strain on my wrists.
    As mad as this sounds, I do lots of stretching exercises with my hands thought-out the day, much to the bemusement of fellow colleagues!
    Hope this helps

Sarah x
  • onedayoneday Posts: 1,650
    see your personal messages for info
  • melaniebmelanieb Posts: 4
    I have just returned to work after 10 months absence due to arthritis in my neck, this has a severe effect on my shoulder, arm and hand. I was recommended an Evoluent vertical mouse by my occupational health nurse. I have found that this makes a huge difference as your arm is in its natural position. Like anything if you use it for a while it causes aches and pains but I cannot use a standard one at all now. I know they are expensive but they are very good.
    Hope this helps. :D
  • debwarddebward Posts: 1
    hi I have got a quill mouse and it is fantastic you can get software that can be put on your pc so you dont even have to click on the mouse
  • colinonecolinone Posts: 1,406
    On Wednesday 8th April we are going to try and set a new record for most people being online at the same time on this site. I think the time is set for 6pm if you can join us please let BADGER know. If you can’t locate him have a look on CHIT CHAT FORUM under “are we going to break the record”. We need your help to do this so please join us.
    Colin
  • woodbinewoodbine Posts: 140
    Hi, I've got OA in my hand and wrist, and was really struggling with using a mouse at work until my manager agreed to order me a 3M mouse, as recommended by someone working for the same organisation who has arthritis in his thumb. ( Looks like an ordinary mouse with a fixed joystick on its back.)
    The difference has been amazing - less pain in my thumb and also fewer problems with my wrist and forearm. (I also tried a Quill mouse, but, though it was an improvement on an ordinary mouse, I didn't dind it as good as the 3M one.)

Obviously any one mouse type won't suit everybody, but this one seems worth a try.
  • englishroseenglishrose Posts: 99
    pollyb wrote:
    I use a computer for work and a mouse and was wondering if anyone had a special mouse to help with hand pain as I am struggeling at the moment.

pollyb
    Try to teach youself yo use both hands. I can now operate the mouse equally well with either hand. Apparently to do this is also a good exercise for the brain.
    Jane