Hi to you all from new member

Options
colinone
colinone Member Posts: 1,039
edited 5. Dec 2008, 08:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
My name is colin I'm 61 had Ra and SA since 1981 however it never bothered me untill three years ago. Life was about as normal as could be and i was one of those workerholic guys who never sat still. Spent most of my spare time with the family, TA or organising some event or another. In the past i read some of the posts on this site as way of feeling better when i was really down. I now have more downs than ups so thought i would join the group. Suffering bad at the moment head to foot and that awful sickness you get, lack of sleep, bad pain, sickness, lack of mobility, unable to do basic things, totally fed up. My life seems to revolve around TV,PC and bed just can't get any stability. Just a day without the sickness or the pain would do at the moment just for the respite. I have a great wife who looks after me and feel so sorry for her that i am not the man i was although she understans and is so sympathetic.
I just felt the need to join the site and perhaps talk to others in the same boat, sorry i went on a bit.

Comments

• rosiepurves
    rosiepurves Member Posts: 18
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Colin,
    welcome to the site I've not been here long but everyone makes you so welcome and the info you can get is amazing. i use the site because i don't know anyone in my area with RA esp young mums like me. Its reassuring to know your not the only one i'm sure you'll feel the same
    Rosie
  • colinone
    Options
    Hi Colin,
    welcome to the site I've not been here long but everyone makes you so welcome and the info you can get is amazing. i use the site because i don't know anyone in my area with RA esp young mums like me. Its reassuring to know your not the only one i'm sure you'll feel the same
    Rosie

I feel so sorry for you younger people coping with young families i dont know how you manage. I see people at the hospital each week but you dont really know them to talk to. some of the people on this site suffer so much and when i read about the young ones i could cry for them. Such a sad illness. nice to hear from you are you coping ok
  • rosiepurves
    rosiepurves Member Posts: 18
    Options
    it is a sad illness for everyone the thing that gets me is because you look ok on the outside people assume theres nothing wrong and i get funny looks when struggling in a shop with kids rather than people offering help. but hey you learn to live with it and to be thankful for what you have got. My 2 sons are my life they make it worth living.
  • colinone
    Options
    it is a sad illness for everyone the thing that gets me is because you look ok on the outside people assume theres nothing wrong and i get funny looks when struggling in a shop with kids rather than people offering help. but hey you learn to live with it and to be thankful for what you have got. My 2 sons are my life they make it worth living.

Yes Rosie one of the problens with this illness is that you can look so good on the outside and on the inside you feel so bad. the other thing is that if you have a good day you can walk better or do a bit more and people look at you as if to say i thought you had a limp or something. People say to me you look much better and inside you want to shout at them and try to make them understand. I have become thick skined now and just say "well thank you" The times you think you have had enough and can't cope anymore are hard to deal with, thats when i turn to this site. No matter how you feel there is allways someone worse off on this site. its great you have the kids, i have 2 grown up now, but 2 grand kids the eldest 18 on Saturday gone i call her my universe. Although i dont do as much as i did with the kids i see them alot and love them so much. Just wish i could go out with them more or do things, but thats the way it is.
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    hi colin,
    it nice to hear you talking about your children and grandchildren, they do keep us going!
    i have 2 daughters, a 9 yr old and a toddler who will be 2 yrs old in jan, she can be hard work, she's so active ans some days i just am not at all active, but she is so happy that it makes everthing worth while.
    she is always hummimg or 'singing' away to herself which is so nice.
    poor little thing has a terrible chesty cough at the moment though so not really her usual chirpy self, but she is in the lounge with me now singing (kind of!) 'twinkle, twinkle little star' waving her hands in the air (like twinkley stars) and doing a wiggley dance! bless her.

i can almost forget that she's been coughing most of the night, hubby didn't hear a thing, i was awake all night worrying in case she choked with all the coughing. i wish it was easier for her to cough up the gunk in her poor throut, she's tired and so am i!!!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options
    Hi Colin
    Welcome to the forum.
    Your input will be gratefully received by all of us here and hopfully we will perk you up too!
    Take care
    Toni xx
  • debsmartin
    debsmartin Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Hi Colin

Hello and welcome to the forum, sorry to hear you are suffering at the moment but you have found a great forum to join everyone on here is so supportive and its really re-assuring to know you're not on your own

debs
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Hello Colin,

I'm in your age group and have been blessed with ra since
    the early 90s. Like you I feel so sorry for the younger
    people, especially young mums, and feel so fortunate that
    ra came upon me so late in life. Fortunately my three kids
    do not have ra but between them they have six children
    who are my world, and Nana's.
    They will all be with us on the 12th of this month to
    celebrate Nana's big birthday and it will probably take us
    until 24 December to recover and clear up the aftermath,
    but these few hours will be precious and ra can ....... itself.
    My grandchildren are far and away my best medication.
  • colinone
    Options
    ichabod6 wrote:
    Hello Colin,

I'm in your age group and have been blessed with ra since
    the early 90s. Like you I feel so sorry for the younger
    people, especially young mums, and feel so fortunate that
    ra came upon me so late in life. Fortunately my three kids
    do not have ra but between them they have six children
    who are my world, and Nana's.
    They will all be with us on the 12th of this month to
    celebrate Nana's big birthday and it will probably take us
    until 24 December to recover and clear up the aftermath,
    but these few hours will be precious and ra can ....... itself.
    My grandchildren are far and away my best medication.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys it is nice of you all and you regulars seem like a great bunch.
    Colin
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi Colin, just wanted to welcome you, I love this forum and use it alot, I am 50 and have had RA for 13/14 years, I am currently hitting a bad patch with bad pains in my hands despite having no inflamation, waiting for x-rays and, hopefully, my consultane to sort it all out love Jaspercatxxx
  • madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    Options
    Hi Colin, welcome i'm 41 and have had RA for 18 months now. I don't have any children but remember all the lovely hours i spent with my nan (she died when i was 18) i am sure that your granchildren just enjoy being with you and don't mind what you can or can't do with them just because you are their granddad. I know i did.

I hope you are feeling better soon.
  • colinone
    Options
    madwestie wrote:
    Hi Colin, welcome i'm 41 and have had RA for 18 months now. I don't have any children but remember all the lovely hours i spent with my nan (she died when i was 18) i am sure that your granchildren just enjoy being with you and don't mind what you can or can't do with them just because you are their granddad. I know i did.

Well thank you all so much for the welcome and suport i still feel like crap but much better mentaly if you know what i mean. you have set my mind on other things now. Love between grandparents and grand kids, i was lucky was blessed with a nan who lived into her 90s only lost her a few years back. I never thought i would get over it but it was my kids and grand kids that got me through it. Its amazing how supportive young children can be even when they dont know.
    Colin
  • colinone
    Options
    colinone wrote:
    madwestie wrote:

Well thank you all so much for the welcome and suport i still feel like crap but much better mentaly if you know what i mean. you have set my mind on other things now. Love between grandparents and grand kids, i was lucky was blessed with a nan who lived into her 90s only lost her a few years back. I never thought i would get over it but it was my kids and grand kids that got me through it. Its amazing how supportive young children can be even when they dont know.
    Colin
    Once again thank you all so much for the warm welcome. I feel a lot better today the pain has eased a bit. I think its great the way you people are so supportive to each other and I get the impression some of you have been talking to each other for some time. Coming to terms with your illness is so difficult and I have had a particularly bad time with that although my family have been very supportive. And now hear I am giving out advice and putting my nose in to other peoples problems. Three days ago I wanted to give up the fight and just stay in bed. We all have different degrees of disease and problems but each persons problem is as hard to deal with for them as it for you to deal with yours. The fact that you come to a sight like this and poor your heart out is fantastic. To have people that understand and are sympathetic is really great, its like you are all doing a job but know it. Reaching out to other people showing that you care and understand, giving your time to others is hard to do especially when you are sick yourself. You can feel the warmth and sincerity of you all and that is nice. Well done to you all you deserve a pat on the back.
    Collin
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options
    Hi Colin
    Lovely to hear you sounding so much more positive!!
    And yes you 'MUST 'stick your nose in'( :!: ) your input will be invaluable!
    Long may your aches behave and your spirits stay up!
    Take care
    Toni x