my confidence

Options
bertyboy
bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
edited 6. Dec 2008, 12:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
my confidence is not good , i feel as if i am not being taken seriosly although i have a brill hubby i am struggling to come to terms with the fact that i need a stick to walk with and no choice but to give my job up , even on the forum i feel as if i am butting in to some bodys conversation ,probably just me at moment as i can see that you are all supporting each other sorry for the mone folks {may} xx
I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx

Comments

• paddythedaddy
    paddythedaddy Member Posts: 16
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    You don't ever need to apologise; it does a lot of good to have a little rant sometimes, and I'm sure most people on this forum, if not all of them, have had a little moan at one time or another.

It's often hard being a newcomer to a discussion forum, or any other kind of group, but remember that this forum is as much yours as it is anyone else's. It takes time to get to know people, doesn't it?

As for the confidence thing, I know exactly where you're coming from and can sympathise. I still haven't come to terms with the fact that I sometimes have to use a stick and that I'll never again be the athlete I once was. Self-esteem and confidence can suffer greatly, and I find the mental and emotional aspects of having this bloody condition are just as hard to cope with as the physical.

Look after yourself, don't feel guilty and remember you don't need to apologise.

Cheers
    P
  • kezzo1
    kezzo1 Member Posts: 171
    Options
    dont feel u need to appolagise on here were all feeling the same hope things look up for u soon try stay positive were all here for u take care xx :P
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    i absolutely agree! never feel bad for moaning, ever! we all moan sometimes, i've only been a member a few months and i felt abit akward to start with but you will soon feel like one of the 'arthur family'! feel free to post on any of the subjects or start your own, we all i'm sure appreciate advice from everyone and we all help each other, i have found this place a real godsend, before i found it i felt so alone, my hubby is fantastic but doesn't understand all i go through, so it's fantastic to be able to ask for help, reasurance that what you are going through is normal or have a moan or a good laugh, it all helps us cope.
    please don't ever feel you are butting in, you're not!!!
    i'm a mum of 2 one little and one bigger and i really appreciate all the help, advice and support i've always recieved here.

welcome and make yourself at home!!!
    sue
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Hi May(?)
    Moan away!!! We all do!!!
    You are very very welcome here and do not need to feel as though you are butting in. We all have useful info for each other even if all it is si support or sumpathy. When we're suffering it can be the best tonic.
    Take care
    Toni xx
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    You don't ever need to apologise; it does a lot of good to have a little rant sometimes, and I'm sure most people on this forum, if not all of them, have had a little moan at one time or another.

It's often hard being a newcomer to a discussion forum, or any other kind of group, but remember that this forum is as much yours as it is anyone else's. It takes time to get to know people, doesn't it?

As for the confidence thing, I know exactly where you're coming from and can sympathise. I still haven't come to terms with the fact that I sometimes have to use a stick and that I'll never again be the athlete I once was. Self-esteem and confidence can suffer greatly, and I find the mental and emotional aspects of having this bloody condition are just as hard to cope with as the physical.

Look after yourself, don't feel guilty and remember you don't need to apologise.

Cheers
    P

Hi P, well said i hope you take some comfort from P may i know how you feel i too am a new member but the people in here are great and so suportive. Up untiii three years ago i worked with the TA and ran round weekends. i ran my own buisness and was about as fit as could be. My how things change It wasent so much the sticks i feared but the life changes. I was out on the town every Friday with my mates and every Saturday with the wife. Ive done so much with my life i could write a book. Then out of knowhere came RA and PA it took over me in months. One day one stick then 2 sticks then a zimmer with brakes, lol and now wheel chair and scooter. but hey it gets me out when im feeling well. I'm not the man i used to be my hobby was restoring classic cars and TA now cant use a screwdriver. some times i get so low and feel so useless that i'm not the man i was but hey the feeling goes away. just look at the love your family have for you. When i feel so low i read this site always someone worse off "please dont take offence to that peeps" i mean it in the best way. Some days you cope some days you dont, pick yourself up dust yourself down and have another go thats all we can do, you ladies are so much stronger and i know you will be feeling better in a day or two try thinking of all the nice things i know its hard but you can do it. come om may i'm routing for you.
    Collin
  • bettieboop22
    bettieboop22 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    hi there, I'm a new member too and trying to find my way around the site, I know what you mean about feeling like you are butting into others conversations. I've not replied to too many at the mo.....am just enjoying reading everyone else's posts and really enjoying the feeling that I'm not alone in this horrible situation we have all found ourselves in.....where no-one really understands what you go through unless they've been there themselves. It'll be good once you've got "into" the forum more and make friends. As for your confidence.....I've read some great books from the library (and bought a couple too) about building your confidence....they do help....it's so easy for your confidence to fall with everything you go through with arthritis.
    (ps, slight change of subject!....how do you get a pic under your username?) Thanks :oops:
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    hi there, I'm a new member too ...............how do you get a pic under your username?) Thanks :oops:

The picture thing puzzled me for months - all you had to do is click on profile and then click on 'AVATAR' (I think this is an old Greek word for 'picture' but not sure :? ) and you'll get a few pictures to choose from - they're not very exciting - it would be brilliant if we could all put a photo up if we wanted (I think ) :P

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Hi May,

Your opinion is just as valuable as everyone elses and always welcome. :D If we only got one or two peoples view on things the melting pot wouldn't be as rich as it is - we all experience arthritis in different ways and you must never shy away from giving your view because you could be helping someone out who's similar to you.

I don't think anyone likes using a stick - how many really eldery folk have you come across who won't use one because it makes them feel old? My stick is a really pretty one and I have a small teddy dangling from the handle :wink: Remember that a stick enables other people to see that you may need a little extra space or time to cross a road - and you may not need to use one everytime you go out.

As for the work situation I wouldn't do anything too hasty as you don't sound as though you'rein the right frame of mind at the moment to make any major decisions. :|

Hope you feel better soon. :)

Luv Legs
    Love, Legs x
  • bettieboop22
    bettieboop22 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    hi there, I'm a new member too ...............how do you get a pic under your username?) Thanks :oops:

The picture thing puzzled me for months - all you had to do is click on profile and then click on 'AVATAR' (I think this is an old Greek word for 'picture' but not sure :? ) and you'll get a few pictures to choose from - they're not very exciting - it would be brilliant if we could all put a photo up if we wanted (I think ) :P

Luv Legs :D

thanks Legs! I look lovely now I've got a pic :D
    Anita x
  • mike77
    mike77 Member Posts: 879
    Options
    Hi May,
    listen its ok to rant here , if I could not moan I would be going mad , its good to moan here lets you get things of your chest instead of buliding up.

The walking stick thing , dont let anyone put you off you need help to get around, I use my cructhes at times they can be a hinderings but they are my lifeline and I would be lost without them .

I ask questions ( some are stupid but the people here help me and answer them ( great bunch here on theis site.

take care
    Mike R & hazel
    Mike R & Hazel & MikeJR
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    bertyboy wrote:
    even on the forum i feel as if i am butting in to some bodys conversation {may} xx

Wouldn't it be boring if no one replied to the first posting. :cry: The more you post the easier it becomes, you soon find out who will have a laugh with you and we cheer each other up :lol: with our support and comments. :shock:

This is all part of the rich tapestry of life. :roll: So, any members out there who just want to read, thats OK. But, please butt in when you wish. :D:D:D Oh, and if you need to, then bring your stick with you, of course. :lol:

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    'AVATAR' (I think this is an old Greek word for 'picture' but not sure :?

The word comes from Hindu mythology where spirits come down and inhabit bodies.

Computer usage is originally from online games where gamers 'inhabit' chosen computer generated bodies in large 3D areas. Nowadays, the term avatar is more generally used for anything that graphically represents a person online.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • lindalegs
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    'AVATAR' (I think this is an old Greek word for 'picture' but not sure :?

The word comes from Hindu mythology where spirits come down and inhabit bodies.

Computer usage is originally from online games where gamers 'inhabit' chosen computer generated bodies in large 3D areas. Nowadays, the term avatar is more generally used for anything that graphically represents a person online.

Joseph 8)

Thanks Joseph - I knew there was some convoluted reason for not just calling it a picture - a really interesting reason in this case :D

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Hello bertyboy,

You are NOT butting in.

Everyone who comes on this site as a contibutor
    or as a reader does so because they want to, and
    everyone can say what they want about what they
    want when they want. There can't be any rules or regulations and
    nobody ranks higher or lower than anyone else;

otherwise what would be the point of a forum?
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Hi May, as all the others have said, welcome to the forum. We all use the forum to help us in any way we can, as a place to let off steam, let anxieties out in the open, to share news both good and bad. You never need to feel alone here, we all have similar problems for a range of reasons,

We all have our 'issues', for you it is the sticks, I would love to have walking aids, can,t because of my shoulders and neck...my nemesis is the raised toilet seat...I have a house full of aids, yet have viewed the toilet seat as the visible sign of my becoming di8sable. (waiting for OT to come and asses what type I need :lol: )
    I am also quite new to the forum, but feel I am accepted and it is a great place to come and meet new friends. Linda