Walking with athritis in THE SNOW

Options
frogmorton
frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
edited 4. Dec 2008, 13:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Oooh Alan!
not a good idea :shock:
I will avoid it - luckily no snow here - just ice!
Hope you feel better soon
Toni x

Comments

• suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    i'm scared to go out in snow, luckily we don't have any yet but the freezing cold is already hitting me like a tonne of bricks!
    i worry about taking my little one out in her pushchair. when she was tiny i had a big silvercross pram, it was fab, i could lean on it when i ached and with it having very bouncey suspention i never felt any jolts or bumps, it also had great grip, but now she's abit bigger i've had to get a smaller pushchair which sadly offers none of the joint protection. every bump and enev surface hurts my hands, it's to light to lean on and it has very little grip, but hey, i can't afford a bouncey pushchair, i just worry about the wheels slipping and me going flying!
    i will recomend one thing (i'm sure i've said it before!) heated gloves, hubby got mine from maplins he also got me a heated vest to, i invested in rechargeable batteries which i charge over night, fantastic! i just wish i could find heated socks!!!
    sorry i went off on a puschair rant then! :oops:
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    I wear sandals all year round. Yes, even out in the ice and snow as they are climbing sandals with special anti-slip soles. This takes the strain out of slipping as they tend to grip even when on ice. Snow is OK if it is less than about 6 ft. then I need my satnav. :lol:

Just to make it worse, I ruin my sartorial elegance by sometimes wearing them out to dinner with a DJ and bow tie, my freinds are too polite to comment. And with SOCKS :shock:

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    I wear sandals all year round. Yes, even out in the ice and snow as they are climbing sandals with special anti-slip soles. This takes the strain out of slipping as they tend to grip even when on ice. Snow is OK if it is less than about 6 ft. then I need my satnav. :lol:

Just to make it worse, I ruin my sartorial elegance by sometimes wearing them out to dinner with a DJ and bow tie, my freinds are too polite to comment. And with SOCKS :shock:

Joseph 8)

Please tell me that they are not white socks Joseph? :wink:
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I agree, snow and ice are bad but what about when it's really windy. It worries me senseless when is gusty, strong wind that gets behind you and pushes you along faster than your legs can carry you or worse still is when it suddenly stops............and comes at you from the side or front or back again :shock: you never know where the invisible force is going to blow at you :shock: I hate it with a passion :x :x

Luv Legs :(
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • livinglegend
    Options
    katekelly wrote:
    Please tell me that they are not white socks Joseph? :wink:

One has to draw the line somewhere :shock: Black to match the bow tie 8)

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Options
    On the subject of snow (as with many others) I find myself turning into my mother. :shock: I hate the stuff. Three days last week I could only walk the dogs to the end of the street. As well as the ice etc on the pavements, I found another hidden hazzard...the white lines round car parking bays, especialy the disabled bays are awful, I noted the tarmac had been salted so walked on in confidence, only to slide on the white line. Thankfully I was unhurt...but will take care in the future.
    :cry: Had to miss dog training tonight as we have a sever weather warning...I miss seeing all my friends. :( so came on here to visit with you lot instead :D Linda
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, it has snowed here in Macclesfield, and the ice has compacted it so very slippy underfoot, I had to go out today, totally scared in case I slipped, it took my hubbie and a taxi driver to make me feel more secure, will not be going out unless completely avoidable love Jaspercatxxx
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    jaspercat wrote:
    Hi, it has snowed here in Macclesfield, and the ice has compacted it so very slippy underfoot, I had to go out today, totally scared in case I slipped, it took my hubbie and a taxi driver to make me feel more secure, will not be going out unless completely avoidable love Jaspercatxxx

Hi guys i could not help smiling at Josephs coment i take size 8 shoes but spend all my time in size 12 slippers, big fluffy ones with thick soles. i buy 2 or three pair at a time. and have in the past wore them with my suit lol. I have had some funny looks but no one has ever said anything. If i have to wear my dinner suit i put on a big pair of black trainer. I have never wore trainers before but needs must. As for the snow i dont think ill go out in it.
    Colin
  • redpoppy
    redpoppy Member Posts: 108
    Options
    i went out to a pub yesterday for lunch with my mum and stepdad.the pub car park was thick ice i was dreading trying to walk on it.my mum was worrying about me more than herself i said dont worry about me and told her to hold on to my step dad.well she is 74 and i didnt want her falling.anyway we managed to get to the door in one peice........anyway talking of footwear i have some fluffy boot slippers their the best thing i have ever bought they go right up past your ankles and keep me lovely and warm.
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options

Joseph 8)

i like expressions of individuality :D
  • livinglegend
    Options
    colinone wrote:
    spend all my time in size 12 slippers, big fluffy ones with thick soles. i buy 2 or three pair at a time. and have in the past wore them with my suit lol. I have had some funny looks but no one has ever said anything. If i have to wear my dinner suit i put on a big pair of black trainer. Colin

Nice to know that I am not alone. :lol:

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • oneday
    Options
    colinone wrote:
    jaspercat wrote:

Hi guys i could not help smiling at Josephs coment i take size 8 shoes but spend all my time in size 12 slippers, big fluffy ones with thick soles. i buy 2 or three pair at a time. and have in the past wore them with my suit lol. I have had some funny looks but no one has ever said anything. If i have to wear my dinner suit i put on a big pair of black trainer. I have never wore trainers before but needs must. As for the snow i dont think ill go out in it.
    Colin

so youre the person wearing slippers outside!!!!!!!!1
    i have seen people do this and i thought they had lost marbels
  • oneday
    Options
    got sidetracked there as usual.

well, me walking outside looks like i have had accident in trousers. this is because i am terrifed of falling due to back problem - fractured vertebrae that is and terrified what a fall could do...........very slippy under foot on tuesday and on the road too.